Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 08:57 AM

686 posts, read 1,692,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I've read it on this board, from my personal observation and even from you. Dominicans do not see themselves as black. At the most they will accept having some black ancestry but that's about it.

Even my gf family who has siblings who look black to me consider themselves white Hispanics. I'm not going to rehash Dominicans views of being black but it's clear they have a very different view of the issue.

Anyway, I think I have my answer. I was told they were most likely Panamanians.

Could be afro panamanians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 06:28 PM

31 posts, read 166,565 times
I think Haitians should be considered Latino.

Last edited by James_Carmona; 02-19-2011 at 06:37 PM..

Old 02-19-2011, 07:59 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,332,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Carmona View Post
I think Haitians should be considered Latino.
No we prefer to be west indian. If haitians actually lived in latino areas then yea i guess but nope.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
No we prefer to be west indian. If haitians actually lived in latino areas then yea i guess but nope.
I'm Puerto Rican and I honestly don't like being called Latino, because Latino is not a real thing, 20 years ago there was no such thing as Latino terminology. It really doesn't even exist outside the U.S. and Canada. If you go to Latin American countries and you say Latino they wouldn't know what you talking about.

Because every Latin American country is different country, different language, different linguistics, culture, tradition, heritage, race.

Latino is not a race, Latino is a terminology used to categorize people who come from Latin Speaking countries. There is a Latin country in Africa too, Equatorial New Guinea they also speak Spanish, and would be considered Latino.

Hatians are alot more closely related to Dominicans and Puerto Ricans, than to West Indies. The reasons are because, we share same Ancestry, and Heritage. Our Ancestries mixed and mingles throughout the years of French and Spanish rule. If you say that Puerto Ricans don't have French heritage than your wrong, because many many Puerto Ricans have French surnames. When Hispanola was taken by the French, many African slaves came to Puerto Rico because the Spanish offered them freedom, and free land. The Spanish wanted to create a population base in Puerto Rico, many of them were placed in Loiza which is really close to the El Morro. And when the slaves revolted in Haiti, many Europeans fled into Dominican Republic and into Puerto Rico. Throughout those years Puerto Ricans went to DR, Dominicans went to PR, both Puerto Ricans and Dominicans moved to Haiti, and some Haitians came into DR and PR.

Also another reason why you guys wouldn't be West Indian, is because when did they ever bring Indians into Haiti to work as slaves? I'm pretty sure they never did. Also you guys speak Creole a broken down French, well we speak a broken down Spanish too, alot of other Spanish speakers find it difficult to understand us. There are also some Puerto Ricans, and some Dominicans who speak Creole, just like there are some Haitians who are able to speak Spanish.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:00 PM

961 posts, read 2,456,388 times
Quote:
I'm Puerto Rican and I honestly don't like being called Latino, because Latino is not a real thing, 20 years ago there was no such thing as Latino terminology. It really doesn't even exist outside the U.S. and Canada. If you go to Latin American countries and you say Latino they wouldn't know what you talking about.

Because every Latin American country is different country, different language, different linguistics, culture, tradition, heritage, race.

Latino is not a race, Latino is a terminology used to categorize people who come from Latin Speaking countries. There is a Latin country in Africa too, Equatorial New Guinea they also speak Spanish, and would be considered Latino.

Hatians are alot more closely related to Dominicans and Puerto Ricans, than to West Indies. The reasons are because, we share same Ancestry, and Heritage. Our Ancestries mixed and mingles throughout the years of French and Spanish rule. If you say that Puerto Ricans don't have French heritage than your wrong, because many many Puerto Ricans have French surnames. When Hispanola was taken by the French, many African slaves came to Puerto Rico because the Spanish offered them freedom, and free land. The Spanish wanted to create a population base in Puerto Rico, many of them were placed in Loiza which is really close to the El Morro. And when the slaves revolted in Haiti, many Europeans fled into Dominican Republic and into Puerto Rico. Throughout those years Puerto Ricans went to DR, Dominicans went to PR, both Puerto Ricans and Dominicans moved to Haiti, and some Haitians came into DR and PR.

Also another reason why you guys wouldn't be West Indian, is because when did they ever bring Indians into Haiti to work as slaves? I'm pretty sure they never did. Also you guys speak Creole a broken down French, well we speak a broken down Spanish too, alot of other Spanish speakers find it difficult to understand us. There are also some Puerto Ricans, and some Dominicans who speak Creole, just like there are some Haitians who are able to speak Spanish.
You're right on many things, one thing you're leaving out is that we also went to Cuba, I still have family in Cuba till this day where 300,00+ people speak Creole. But also we do have strong West Indian (not actual Indian) influences. We have heavy influences from the Leeward Islands and Trinidad especially with regard to Calypso Ra-ra and the manner in which we celebrate events and carnival. We have influences from both Caribbean Latinos and West Indians, but we are also not the only French/Creole speaking island in the Caribbean; Guadeloupe, Dominica, St. Lucia, St. Martin, French Guiana and Martinique speak the same language as us and share the same cultural distinctions with both us and the English Speaking West Indian Countries, there's French West Indian and British West Indian. Those Islands are to us what Trinidad, Barbados, Grenada and Guyana are to Jamaica.

Furthermore many Trinidadians and Guyanese go to Venezuela as many Jamaicans and Bajans (Barbados) went to Panama, Nicaragua and Honduras. BTW, Reggaeton started in Panama because of the heavy Jamaican influence there. Many Jamaicans also traveled with Haitians to Cuba as well in large numbers in the 1920's. So being from the Caribbean many of our cultures overlap, especially considering the African and Taino influences in our cuisine and to some extent geneology. Be it Latino or West Indian all of the cultures in the Caribbean overlap one way or another, how many times have you seen Jamaicans eat something similar to your own cuisine? Does it make them Latino? Also all the islands except Barbados, were owned at one point and time by Spain, you will see Spanish names of towns in all the islands and many still have Spanish names, Grenada, Trinidad, Guadeloupe etc...

Old 02-21-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:

o no i never said you were wrong if that's what your implying? I know puerto ricans can have french names i have like 1 billion rican friends who have names that sound more french then my name lol.

But the reason we prefer to be west indian is because that's the group we fit into best. Aside from west indians we are close to Dominicans, Cubans and ricans like you say but for the most part you want see haitians in high numbers in Hispanic neighborhoods in nyc.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:38 PM

Yeah your right about that though, I can't really remember last time I saw Haitian people in Dominican/Puerto Rica (or other latin) nieghborhood in New York.

Another thing I don't understand is why don't Dominicans and Puerto Ricans go to the Carribean Parade in Brooklyn?

Old 02-21-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Yeah your right about that though, I can't really remember last time I saw Haitian people in Dominican/Puerto Rica (or other latin) nieghborhood in New York.

Another thing I don't understand is why don't Dominicans and Puerto Ricans go to the Carribean Parade in Brooklyn?

I think the only areas where youll find Dominicans and haitians living in a good amount together is northern crown heights and Harlem. Bushwick and east new york youll find haitians, dominicans, and ricans together but i beleive the haitian population is far far below both.

As for the west indian day parade i think only the Hispanics who live in brooklyn know about it really lol. You see a few Dominicans and ricans their but for the most part they don't seem to close to that culture.

funny thing is some people ask how in the world are haitians the biggest participants in the west indian day parade but barely no dominicans lol.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:14 PM

5,720 posts, read 19,984,559 times
Main reason is that we have our own parades. Also, most of the Dominican population (I'd say at least 70%) live Uptown/The Bronx. There is no reason for anyone up here to travel to Brooklyn to participate in a parade that alot of us see as foreign.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Main reason is that we have our own parades. Also, most of the Dominican population (I'd say at least 70%) live Uptown/The Bronx. There is no reason for anyone up here to travel to Brooklyn to participate in a parade that alot of us see as foreign.
pretty much. all thought bk has over 50,000 dominicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City