Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 07:50 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times

Advertisements

That all may be true. But in reality it seems that a lot of neighborhoods, like Ozone Park, were a lot better off with these goons than without them.

Without the mafia there is a vacuum that needs to be filled, and it is filled with street thugs, and other ethnic organized crime (Mexican, Albanian, Russian, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
First, the asshat Police Commisioner Kelly is born & raised in NYC, came up through the ranks of the NYPD. Bill Bratton, the commissioner in the first two years of the Giuliani administration (like 14 years ago) was the fella from Boston & is now the chief of the LAPD.

Second, it was the FBI that made the big mafia arrest last week.

Third, although some neighborhoods may have been safer for the most part when the mob controlled them... there were many innocents that happened to get in the way and were executed. These crooks & murderers may be 70 now but they were villains back in the day who got away with murder.

Court Officer Albert Gelb, New York State Office of Court Administration
Detective Anthony Joseph Venditti, New York City Police Department
Who Killed John Favara?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 10:47 AM

128 posts, read 234,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
You can smell the curry cooking from a mile away.
One that smell and gets in a house you cant get it out, may as well knock down the house. Its as had as removing the smell of a dead person after 2 months of summer.

You need to strip all the walls, floors, windows, electric outlets, open up the ceilings, power wash everyting with special stuff, de-humidify then seal the house and run a 20,000 BTU Ozone Generator on every floor for 10 days.
Then clean-up again, ceilings, floor and repaint
$30,000-$50,000 damage

Old 12-30-2009, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,579 times
I lived in Ozone Park from 1965-1974. Back then the neighborhoods lacked two things: wealth and poverty. No one was rich or poor. With all the neatly arranged row houses, it almost seemed like a tribute to a successfull working class. My parents both worked so that we could afford to live here. Prior to that my family and I lived in tenaments and a two family house in Brooklyn; so for us it was a step up. I still have friends who live in the area. They tell me that robberies, loud music and noise have all increased over the years. The old saying, "You can never go back home" may sometimes be true. I guess I'll just carry the good memories I have of this place.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:57 PM

60 posts, read 188,406 times
I am origanlly from ozone park 101st and 75th (now live in Binghamton) and frequently go down there to see family and honestly what people say about it being one of the worst neighborhoods in queens is flat out dumb I lived in a more dangerous neighborhood here in upstate and everyone who assioates crime with minorities what white people can`t commit crimes . Im sure the neighborhood has gone down hill some most likely due to people moving from formerly bad neighborhoods but it is really not as bad people here are saying

Old 04-08-2010, 09:46 PM

4,419 posts, read 5,151,002 times
Is there a systematic goal to rid old middle-class New York City neighborhoods of whites. I totally understand the cycle of immigrants coming in and replacing earlier immigrants who capitalized on the American dream and moved to the suburbs. But at what cost. Do we truly want to do away with the New York City that made it what it is, which is the "eminent global urban dynasty". Tell me if the countries these recent immigrants come from have any real effect or relevence in the global perspective. Look at Sao Paolo, a city which attempts to mirror NYC in many aspects, or Tokyo, or Mexico City, or Shanghai, or Mumbai. Do these cities shape in anyway the true direction of social culture and dynanism. We eat the Americanized food of immigrants from these places, but you have no idea of what the real culinary creations of these people are(yuck). Do you have any idea how women are treated in many of these supposed dynamo cities? If you haven't guessed, it's worse than most Americans treat their pets. Will you accept these people based on the old traditions of ellis island and the melting pot phenomenon of a century ago. Do we only want them to exploit them as they look up to us and want to prove themselves to us by letting us exploit them for labor and Wal-Mart profit.

This whole set-up is warped and demented imo. This country is developed and matured and full. We don't need more. If anything we need to restore some semblence of equality by allowing a green-card giveway to any poor European who wants to come here. It's not racist, it's fair. If you think I'm racist then you must not want more white people here and all I'll hear is double-talk and hypocrisy. The Italian community needs to do as much as they can to bring more folks from Italy to revive their community. It's only fair as everybody else is doing it. Don't forget Italian Americans experienced alot of xenophobia in the past, so be careful not to but your pre-conceptions of these statements where the sun don't shine.

I want the tolerance of today with the NYC of 15 years ago demographically. Perfect mix imo.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:41 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,672,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
The Italian community needs to do as much as they can to bring more folks from Italy to revive their community. It's only fair as everybody else is doing it.

I want the tolerance of today with the NYC of 15 years ago demographically. Perfect mix imo.
The problem with your proposal is this: native populations in Europe are in decline, including Italy. There are no more "folks from Italy to revive their community" in OP or other previously Italian-American neighborhoods.

Whereas, the so-called Third World populations are increasing, and are migrating to neighborhoods, cities and countries previously populated by European populations, including Ozone Park. They are filling up European countries as well.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:00 AM

4,419 posts, read 5,151,002 times
So what happens to cities like New York when the current third-world nations reach below-replacement level fertility with marked improvement in quality of life. Will New York then die off. Can New York, or even the U.S. as a whole have any relevence when mass immigration comes to demise. By that time you will have a NYC which is 30% Hispanic, 25% Black, 25% Asian, 10% white and 5% mixed-race. Every group will feel empowered and when that happens you will see the full force of the balkanization effect. The LA metro will be 55% Hispanic, 25% Asian, 5% white, 5% black and 10% mixed race. We will still be a functioning nation, but the corporations will lump us all as consumer drones, as they don't care if we like each other or not. It will be a passive-aggressive, know your place, contentious society. I dread this for my children. Of course when the technology becomes available to pick the traits of your children, race won't matter anyway. It's funny that whenever I bring this prospect in conversation with people. It is the white people by an overwhelming margin who cringe at the idea of trait selection.(their o.k. with screening out diseases, IQ enhancement etc.). The idea that their white-privelege trump-card becoming worthless, scares them. Not to mention hearing alot of statements about, blacks/asians etc. being fundamentally different from whites and any attempt for them to choose caucasian type traits for their children seems preposterous. Gotta love it...

Old 04-13-2010, 01:11 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,229,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubriella2283 View Post
i have lived here all of my life. i live near centerville park, a section in ozone park. this neighborhood used to be safe, and queit. BUT!! last year i was mugged one block away from my house. and a few months after that, my father was mugged, just 2 blocks away from where i was. IT IS NOT A GODD NEIGHBORHOOD ANYMORE!! SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE I'M LIVING IN A GHETTO!!

to answer your questions:
1. ozone park is hardly full of white people. it is mainly guyanese and west indian now.

2.CRIME; as for me i would say no it is not that low. i have a friend who is a police officer and tells me to be careful around where i live. it is not that safe anymore.

3. i would say maybe 10-15%
Actual crime statistics contradict what you are saying. Go do the research.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:15 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,229,552 times
Quote:
Is there a systematic goal to rid old middle-class New York City neighborhoods of whites. I totally understand the cycle of immigrants coming in and replacing earlier immigrants who capitalized on the American dream and moved to the suburbs. But at what cost. Do we truly want to do away with the New York City that made it what it is, which is the "eminent global urban dynasty". Tell me if the countries these recent immigrants come from have any real effect or relevence in the global perspective. Look at Sao Paolo, a city which attempts to mirror NYC in many aspects, or Tokyo, or Mexico City, or Shanghai, or Mumbai. Do these cities shape in anyway the true direction of social culture and dynanism. We eat the Americanized food of immigrants from these places, but you have no idea of what the real culinary creations of these people are(yuck). Do you have any idea how women are treated in many of these supposed dynamo cities? If you haven't guessed, it's worse than most Americans treat their pets. Will you accept these people based on the old traditions of ellis island and the melting pot phenomenon of a century ago. Do we only want them to exploit them as they look up to us and want to prove themselves to us by letting us exploit them for labor and Wal-Mart profit.

This whole set-up is warped and demented imo. This country is developed and matured and full. We don't need more. If anything we need to restore some semblence of equality by allowing a green-card giveway to any poor European who wants to come here. It's not racist, it's fair. If you think I'm racist then you must not want more white people here and all I'll hear is double-talk and hypocrisy. The Italian community needs to do as much as they can to bring more folks from Italy to revive their community. It's only fair as everybody else is doing it. Don't forget Italian Americans experienced alot of xenophobia in the past, so be careful not to but your pre-conceptions of these statements where the sun don't shine.

Yes, you sound racist.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:14 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
Quote:

your strange post is very double standard and no double standard does not mean your racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City