Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 11:53 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I may be biased about the UWS because I am Jewish. IIUC it has one of the most intense Jewish Yuppie singles scenes in North America.
That's so true. My friend (or ex-friend since we no longer talk) is Jewish of Hungarian stock and he and his sister could attest to that. He and his sister were very much into clothes/looks. Very pretty pair the both of 'em. He told me Hungarians are vain Lol. Don't know how true that is- It's just what he told me. The UWS rocks. Clean and safe and pretty. What more can you ask for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 11:53 AM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Admin question: How do we get our URLs to be condensed and/or customized?
there is an icon called "insert link", it looks like a world globe with the infinity sign below it....its directly above your text box when you're replying to posts. However, when I just copy and paste a link into the text box, it usually truncates for itself.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-29-2010, 11:56 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
That's so true. My friend (or ex-friend since we no longer talk) is Jewish of Hungarian stock and he and his sister could attest to that. He and his sister were very much into clothes/looks. Very pretty pair the both of 'em. He told me Hungarians are vain Lol. Don't know how true that is- It's just what he told me. The UWS rocks. Clean and safe and pretty. What more can you ask for.

My wife is Hungarian, so I'd better say no more

Old 12-29-2010, 11:57 AM

145 posts, read 401,994 times
Quote:
OTOH if the EV is what you want, as others here have suggested, just live there.
Well, I want to make sure it's what I want based on my criteria. It was the first neighborhood in Manhattan that put a smile on my face during my visit and I loved the feel. I spent most of my time walking the quadrant between Ave B/14th/St Marks/2nd Ave and it seemed great. But living there is also a completely different story too, so I want to make sure it's the right choice. I also want to make sure I'll get something decent in my budget in EV vs. other neighborhoods. I don't need luxury, but a nicely laid out 12x25 room (or so) with sunlight and preferably a detached kitchen area. Something that doesn't look dingy and will look nice once decorated.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:58 AM

I like the UWS.....but the denizens seem a little stuffy for my tastes...I think I could live in that neighborhood in my 40s, but not now.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I like the UWS.....but the denizens seem a little stuffy for my tastes...I think I could live in that neighborhood in my 40s, but not now.

I take it you're not interested in the Shlomo Carlebach shul, for example?

I happen to live in Annandale, Virginia. Its a stuffy older person's neighborhood mostly - if you're not Korean. If you ARE korean, its the night life center of eastern North America. I think UWS is kind of like that, if you substitute the ethnic groups

Old 12-29-2010, 12:05 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
What about across the river? Hoboken is awesome for pubs, great view of the city skyline and about 15mins on the path into the city. Pretty affordable, lots of people in the age range you're looking for. Only drawback, not sure if you have a car, but parking there is just awful.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I take it you're not interested in the Shlomo Carlebach shul, for example?

I happen to live in Annandale, Virginia. Its a stuffy older person's neighborhood mostly - if you're not Korean. If you ARE korean, its the night life center of eastern North America. I think UWS is kind of like that, if you substitute the ethnic groups
Ha ha, no shul for me. The thing that blows me away about the UWS is the architecture. Some of the best pre-war in the city. A friend on mine lived on Central Park West and when I went to his house, the apartments were so huge that they were only 2 per floor, and when you got off the elevator, the vestibule was probably only 100 sq ft. Carpeted, with a little coffee table and everything. And this would be your equivalent of a common area in the building. And this is pre-war I'm talking about....sick stuff.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:16 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
What about across the river? Hoboken is awesome for pubs, great view of the city skyline and about 15mins on the path into the city. Pretty affordable, lots of people in the age range you're looking for. Only drawback, not sure if you have a car, but parking there is just awful.
Y'know what, a girl I knew lived in Hoboken and her apartment was cute! And kind of big. And it was just her. She worked in finance.

However, I have a question. If you live in New Jersey but work in New York, is that an extra hassle come tax time? Hopefully just a paperwork hassle at worst, not a dent to your wallet, etc.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:22 PM

"I don't want to feel like I'm living in a college dorm, constantly surrounded by frat guy types or disrespectful drunk kids everywhere either."

My impression, mainly from this forum, is that Hoboken wouldnt meet OP's needs, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City