U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 12-30-2010, 05:53 AM

2,901 posts, read 3,766,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Yuppies = BMW's, Country Club, and Brooks Broothers (think Patrick Bateman from American Psycho)
Hipsters = Bicycles, Cheese Sandwiches, Plaid Shirts, Pabst and iPads

They both have rich parents in common.
This thread is so humorous its unfunny!

I'd love to hear your definition of a 'buppie'.

To the OP,

Young Urban Professional nee "Yuppie", the foremost difference is that Yuppies precede present generation "Hipsters" by one or two generations. These are the folks, who, along with the post-hippie 'Urban Pioneers' regenerated our cities.

In other words, Yuppies were/are less than commited hippies who cut their hair, took a bath, put on a tie, and made use of the university educations they managed to obtain in the midst of all that sex, drugs, and rocknroll.

Hipsters are the children and in some cases the grandchildren of the original Yuppies. Overindulged, lacking in substance and originality---faking and pretending. If they had any true integrity they'd remove themselves from our midst and go join a Commune deep in the forest!

The real wonder is what will they be when they finally grow up?!
Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-30-2010, 09:50 AM

9,164 posts, read 15,717,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
This thread is so humorous its unfunny!

I'd love to hear your definition of a 'buppie'.

To the OP,

Young Urban Professional nee "Yuppie", the foremost difference is that Yuppies precede present generation "Hipsters" by one or two generations. These are the folks, who, along with the post-hippie 'Urban Pioneers' regenerated our cities.

In other words, Yuppies were/are less than commited hippies who cut their hair, took a bath, put on a tie, and made use of the university educations they managed to obtain in the midst of all that sex, drugs, and rocknroll.

Hipsters are the children and in some cases the grandchildren of the original Yuppies. Overindulged, lacking in substance and originality---faking and pretending. If they had any true integrity they'd remove themselves from our midst and go join a Commune deep in the forest!

The real wonder is what will they be when they finally grow up?!
Buppie - think Carlton Banks from the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
So you disagree with my descriptions? Mind you I only scratched the surface, mostly touching on appearance. I'll leave it up to you to dissect what goes on in the mind of a yuppie/hipster.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Unread 12-30-2010, 10:44 AM

2,901 posts, read 3,766,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Buppie - think Carlton Banks from the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
So you disagree with my descriptions? Mind you I only scratched the surface, mostly touching on appearance. I'll leave it up to you to dissect what goes on in the mind of a yuppie/hipster.
Oh, you disappoint with the buppie description!

The part I disagreed with is "rich parents". Not all, or even most, Yuppies/Buppies have rich parents. It's their emulation of those (true Preppies and Bougies) that do, along with their (nouveau) education and corporate ambitions which define them.

Turtlecreek said it best though, describing the present day.

Unread 12-30-2010, 10:46 AM

914 posts, read 876,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
When I lived in baltimore I WAS a yuppie, or so I thought. I did not get $$ from my folks, did not do anything related to art other than occasionally go to a museum or gallery (and my tastes were not up to the minute) I did like those latte places when Bmore finally got them.

Here in Dee Cee we have gads of folks I THINK are yuppies, but precious few who seem like "hipsters"

I am told in NYC they are the same thing. Though I thought hipsters disliked yuppies.

Please clarify this confusing situation.
I don't have the money to be a yuppie but I am a hipster. Maybe psuedo-hipsters can be yuppies.

Unread 12-30-2010, 11:16 AM

9,164 posts, read 15,717,716 times
Quote:
Oh, you disappoint with the buppie description!

The part I disagreed with is "rich parents". Not all, or even most, Yuppies/Buppies have rich parents. It's their emulation of those (true Preppies and Bougies) that do, along with their (nouveau) education and corporate ambitions which define them.

Turtlecreek said it best though, describing the present day.
I agree not all have rich parents...I just wanted to point out the stereotype associated with yuppies/hipsters...Turtlecreek's description was very accurate, especially regarding mannerisms.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Unread 12-30-2010, 12:14 PM

90 posts, read 168,602 times
Hipster... Yuppie.... as opposed to what? What is the alternative? Is there a certain category for a "normal person" or something? Why do we even need names like that? What are the other categories out there and how come most threads on this forum are so obsessed with the entire hipster/yuppie thing, I don't get it.

Unread 12-30-2010, 12:49 PM

5,534 posts, read 873,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Save Astoria from hipsters say Greeks

They are already in queens.
I beg to differ. I have lived in Astoria for quite some time and haven't seen a single hipster here ever. Plus, you're citing an article that was published three years ago.

Unread 12-30-2010, 01:37 PM

757 posts, read 1,104,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualDreamer View Post
Hipster... Yuppie.... as opposed to what? What is the alternative? Is there a certain category for a "normal person" or something? Why do we even need names like that? What are the other categories out there and how come most threads on this forum are so obsessed with the entire hipster/yuppie thing, I don't get it.
Total agree. I feel like a lot of it is rooted in jealousy, as hipsters/yuppies most often have money to live fairly well in the city.

Unread 12-30-2010, 02:05 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,244,550 times
Quote:
Not all, or even most, Yuppies/Buppies have rich parents. It's their emulation of those (true Preppies and Bougies) that do, along with their (nouveau) education and corporate ambitions which define them.
Yes, as I said: Alex P. Keaton from Family Ties (played by actor Michael J. Fox). Also, if anyone remembers from the show, Mr. and Mrs. Keaton (played by Meredith Baxter Birney and some tall forgettable dude) were ex-flower children in other words hippies from the 60s, and sometimes butted heads with Alex.

Lol @ the bath comment.

Unread 12-30-2010, 09:09 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,379,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
To stereotype considerably, both come from priviledged/well-educated backgrounds.

Yuppies are more concerned with creating wealth through safe, traditional career paths (law, finance, management). Hipsters are more esoteric / intellectual and are more into creating (ideas, arts, etc) than
raking in the big bucks in an "establishment" job.

Yuppies enjoy the preppy, Norman Rockwell-esque lifestyle. Hipsters are descendants of the grunge lifestyle.

Both can enjoy art: yuppies write large checks and attend opening gala receptions for blockbuster shows at the Met. Hipsters seek out "undiscovered" artists working in studio warehouses under freeways.

Both can enjoy fashion: yuppies shop at Bergdorf, JCrew, and Lilly Pulitzer or Diane Von Furstenberg. Hipsters wear thrift store finds (to save the environment!) and $200 skinny jeans that look like thrift store finds.

Both like music. Hipsters like indie bands no one else has heard of and claim to have loved them "way back when.". Yuppies like mainstream music and maybe hit the Bowery Ballroom for a big indie show like The Killers....as long as their Park Avenue wives and girlfriends don't know they went "down there" to the LES.

Both like to travel. Yuppies go to Paris and Capri and stay at $700 EU/ night hotels. Hipsters go to Southeast Asia and figure it out when they get there.

Yuppies are Republicans. Hipsters are Democrats.

Yuppies want the status things that everyone else has. Hipsters want to be the first to have it/ read it/ do it.

It's all stereotype. But they are most definitely not the same thing!
The descriptions you give are true, but I don't agree with your last sentence. I don't like to label, but since that is what we're doing in this thread, I see hipsters as yuppies with different tastes. Compared to the yuppie, Hipsters basically have better taste in the arts and worst taste in style (although I know hipster style is a backlash of sorts). I could perhaps call hipsters a different bread if they were actually bohemian, but they are not. They are a sub-culture that is caught up in cultural trends just like a yuppie is. Hipsters have embraced the bohemian cultures of past decades and have molded them into the hipster sub-culture that exists today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City