Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2010, 05:17 PM

35 posts, read 106,046 times

Advertisements

What is the average cost of day care on the Upper East or West Side? We are trying to calculate what things would cost if we moved to the city and how much we would need to earn. It would be for 5 full days for a 3 year old.
any ideas would be greatly appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 05:20 PM

34,078 posts, read 47,269,417 times
Day care?? Man, in the hood that can run $1000 a month easy. I shudder to think what it would cost on UWS or UES. Its a burgeoning business in NYC, as people are realizing that they need a dual income family to have some sanity....my wife isn't working right now so that saves us daycare money. Thankfully I earn enough to pay the bills. when she starts working in 2011, we will have to pay.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-29-2010, 05:33 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,289,720 times
Depends on the age, but $250-350 per child per week is a good starting point to estimate costs.

If you're thinking of staying in the city once child gets to Pre-K+, private schools can be up to $35k per child per year (if you can get in) and public schools are for the most part not good (save for a few choice elementary schools in the UES & Tribeca and magnet high schools).

Old 12-29-2010, 05:37 PM

35 posts, read 106,046 times
what are some good school areas, maybe just outside of the city...?? I am not opposed to living out of NYC but close enough to commute. Also, I work in education and part of what I want to negotiate is some tuition asst for my daughter. My son, he is 16 already and we need to find him a high school. I am thinking that day care and high schools might be better outside of the city.
Ideally, I would like to have my daughter close to me during the day, but if I can't afford it then I can't afford it. My husband stays home with her right now so she is new to school in Fall. We wanted to start her when she was 3.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:04 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,289,720 times
Westchester County, just north of the city, has very good public schools. Some districts are better than others, but overall they're 100x better than NYC schools. Plus, your chances of getting a 16-year-old into a good private school without writing an extra big check to the school's endowment are almost 0%. Spots rarely open up during high school.

Post on the Westchester Co board. It is about 1 hour train ride to Grand Central, plus walk/subway time to your office. Also, Westchester school districts don't exactly follow town limits so always confirm the home/condo is zoned to the district you think it is. (ie, you can have a Scarsdale address but not be zone to Scarsdale's top rated schools.)

Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 AM

17 posts, read 96,263 times
Upper east side school(public)are good!!ps 158 has an amazing reputation(elementary)but the daycare are astronomical!PS 158 takes them after they turn 4.Mine is 3,only option is daycare and it is impossibly for me,a friend of mine told me she pays 1500 a week,thats for full day.There are others more affordable,just have to look online.But honestly,around here,upper east side,public are good!!

Old 10-02-2014, 12:15 PM

4 posts, read 7,026 times
The range on the Upper East Side is between $350 and $400 for full time, but you do get quality education for that and perks that you won't get from the public school system. For example: Building Blocks Play Group on 1st Avenue provides live webcam access to the class rooms and has a really great curriculum that includes art, science and music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City