Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 07:03 AM

138 posts, read 313,818 times

Advertisements

I was pretty torn over this in the past, the thought of pricing out low income and working class people. Whites kicking out Blacks? Hispanics?

Then I thought to myself, from decay to urban art. Turning abandoned buildings and vacant lots to market rate condos mixed income housing. New urbanism. Finally some nice places to shop. More diversity both economically and racially. It's not Whites kicking out Blacks and Hispanics. There are plenty if not more gentrifying Blacks and mixed people and Hispanics are not a race there are plenty of White Hispanics too.

The middle class is feeling the worst of all this and I do support more mixed income developments but in the end gentrification has been great for NYC. There is plenty of public housing in NYC so the low income element will always exist, especially in some areas. The city will retain it's edge, a city as big as this will always have some decay. Graffiti is so New York and will continue to thrive, it's a voice.

Gentrification is not so bad afterall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 07:14 AM

979 posts, read 4,440,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ALTAWK718 View Post
I was pretty torn over this in the past, the thought of pricing out low income and working class people. Whites kicking out Blacks? Hispanics?

Then I thought to myself, from decay to urban art. Turning abandoned buildings and vacant lots to market rate condos mixed income housing. New urbanism. Finally some nice places to shop. More diversity both economically and racially. It's not Whites kicking out Blacks and Hispanics. There are plenty if not more gentrifying Blacks and mixed people and Hispanics are not a race there are plenty of White Hispanics too.

The middle class is feeling the worst of all this and I do support more mixed income developments but in the end gentrification has been great for NYC. There is plenty of public housing in NYC so the low income element will always exist, especially in some areas. The city will retain it's edge, a city as big as this will always have some decay. Graffiti is so New York and will continue to thrive, it's a voice.

Do you even live here???

Old 12-31-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
Do you even live here???
Not currently, I was born and raised in the city. The last three years I have lived in another few areas, currently another major city due to my job and I travel everywhere (including visiting NYC a few times a year) but I will be moving back soon.

These were random thoughts what do you disagree with?

Old 12-31-2010, 07:30 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,007,470 times
Quote:
Not currently, I was born and raised in the city. The last three years I have lived in another few areas, currently another major city due to my job and I travel everywhere (including visiting NYC a few times a year) but I will be moving back soon.

Well, the city cannot run without the middle class. Unless things change, the city is doomed to failure, and ultimately, a decay far worse than witnessed in the 70s.

Gentrification has ruined this city.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:

You speak in generalities. You post generic pictures of bike riders enjoying their trips in downtown Amsterdam et al as if it was comparable to NYC with gratuitous advice.

Gentrification? Sounds like an opinion make during final approach (over Park Slope) into LaGuardia.

Quote:
I do support more mixed income developments
guilt

Quote:
There is plenty of public housing in NYC so the low income element will always exist
Let them eat cake!

Old 12-31-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Well, the city cannot run without the middle class. Unless things change, the city is doomed to failure, and ultimately, a decay far worse than witnessed in the 70s.

Gentrification has ruined this city.
The middle class has shrink in NYC, but that's the case in the USA period. NYC has not been middle class friendly, ever. I am not supporting the displacement of the middle class. I support mixed income development.

What really is middle class in NYC though? I mean technically most gentrifiers are working professionals.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:46 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,007,470 times
Quote:
The middle class has shrink in NYC, but that's the case in the USA period. NYC has not been middle class friendly, ever. I am not supporting the displacement of the middle class. I support mixed income development.

What really is middle class in NYC though? I mean technically most gentrifiers are working professionals.
And most 'working professionals' are middle class.

Middle class includes: middle and some upper management, office support, supervisors, electricians, plumbers, small business owners, teachers, janitors, carpenters, construction people, transit workers, etc.

All middle class. What happens when the city doesn't have enough of them in commuting distance?

Old 12-31-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I don't know how you can make an incredibly glib statement like that. Forget about what is and what isn't middle class. My perspective is from an artist background, gallery owner and property management since the mid seventies. I've lived in Park Slope, Soho, East Village, Union Square and Dumbo. Without a doubt gentrification has killed the ability of this city to support a fertile ground for the arts. The desperation of yuppies,hipsters, and whatever the current ilk is to absorb a bohemian life style has knocked NYC out of first place for the arts. Soho is nothing more then a shopping mall for suburbanites with thier Canon "Rebels", doing street photography outside of Prada.
This is my opinion. I can't even imagine what many working class people of color (or not) who after generations of living in a stable neighborhood have to move because a salivating hipster with the help of his trust fund has a hard on for a brownstone in a "transitional" neighborhood. Why is the neighborhood transitional? Just like redlining in the sixties gentrification has the same effect.
Quote:
Graffiti is so New York and will continue to thrive, it's a voice.
Are you phoning this in from the car phone in the "way back machine"?

Old 12-31-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
New places to shop? The hell with that. The only new places I see are coffee,bagel, and donut shops. And the only people I see going there are the newcomers, the economically elite.
^^^This and then these same people go on their neighborhood blogs and bleat about some meat market that's been there since the 50's going out of business because the rent is quadrupled. The nerve of the Landlord!!! Not that they actually shopped there being vegans and whatnot, It was just for background.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:35 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,185,783 times
LOL

OP got pwned in this thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City