Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 01:03 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times

Advertisements

I also believe that I heard the Mayor on a program state that he is not running for President, nor was he interested.

Thank God, he would not get my vote.

But, I still want to know how he got a third term? Was this a "selected law" that only pertains to selected people?

How did the law get changed? ....and by who?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 01:10 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCdood View Post
Bloomberg is a billionaire...I wish we could have a real down to earth New Yorker as Mayor. I really wish we could have a Mayor who actually went out and shoveled...how awsome would that be!
Corey Booker, Mayor of Newark, NJ, was out shoveling and helping people who were stuck. Bloomberg is a billionaire, who believes he is a God. He is trying to get NY to go completely smoke free because he is a militant against smokers; trying to control the salt content in food, etc. He is so out of touch with reality and up in his Ivory Tower. He wanted another term, so he passed the law. He is an arrogant, egotistical moron.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:11 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Guayanese he has done plenty to show he cares about the people, but one thing he doesn't do exactly the way you like and you jump all over him and it negates everything? Really? He is Mayor for FREE remember? He could be taking a salary but chooses not to...why is that? He rides the trains to work..remember that? I have seen him on the 6 myself! You are faulting him for not doing the dog and pony show and picking up a shovel? Seriously?

You know what shows me he cares about people..all people? Those multibillions he committed to yours and mine neighborhood so WE could live better. All those affordable housing units going up across the city...all those parks coming to our neighborhood, all those trees to clean our air...those are done because he cares about people, and he is doing it in the POOREST of neighborhoods.

This is why people don't go into politics...because of people who simply want to complain and drag people through the mud despite them actually helping you! Yikes!

Old 01-03-2011, 01:15 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
I don't like in ny, but I've been watching the news, (using the internet) and I've seen the fiasco up close--streets unplowed, babies dead due to lack of ambulance, people trapped on a subway. How could Bloomberg let this happen, without deploying city services? Is he disconnected? Or does he just not care?
What is he supposed to do? Tell every last union slacker to get out there and start plowing?

Old 01-03-2011, 01:33 PM

138 posts, read 314,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Are you serious? Looking forward to nyc population growth, thats gonna put a strain on everything, from jobs to food, over crowded schools, congested forms of transportation, lack of housing especially affordable, plus more people in dense space strains the environment. Good luck telling 8 million residents to ride bikes.
As long as your infrastructure is up to par there is nothing to worry about. Bloomberg is looking towards the future, trying do what we can now for the future. Greening NYC is for now and more importantly the future. NYC is only expected to grow.

-Bloomberg's administration is trying to promote job growth in NYC.
-Bloomberg's administration has encouraged in the past and is still encouraging administration more and better designed schools.
-Bloomberg's administration is pro public transit.
-Bloomberg's administration is encouraging low income housing to luxury condos.
-Bloomberg's administration is encouraging green initiatives.

And yes the Bloomberg administration is encouraging alternative forms of transportation.

What are you doing to improve NYC? Complaining? Bloomberg is the best mayor since Ed Koch.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Guayanese he has done plenty to show he cares about the people, but one thing he doesn't do exactly the way you like and you jump all over him and it negates everything? Really? He is Mayor for FREE remember? He could be taking a salary but chooses not to...why is that? He rides the trains to work..remember that? I have seen him on the 6 myself! You are faulting him for not doing the dog and pony show and picking up a shovel? Seriously?

You know what shows me he cares about people..all people? Those multibillions he committed to yours and mine neighborhood so WE could live better. All those affordable housing units going up across the city...all those parks coming to our neighborhood, all those trees to clean our air...those are done because he cares about people, and he is doing it in the POOREST of neighborhoods.

This is why people don't go into politics...because of people who simply want to complain and drag people through the mud despite them actually helping you! Yikes!
Mayor for FREE? Hell he doesn't need that pittance they call a salary. He used his own $M for the stop smoking campaign, with all his money he could be doing a lot more for NYC if he really cared about the people.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I also believe that I heard the Mayor on a program state that he is not running for President, nor was he interested.

Thank God, he would not get my vote.

But, I still want to know how he got a third term? Was this a "selected law" that only pertains to selected people?

How did the law get changed? ....and by who?
Bloomberg proposed the change:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/01/ny...bloomberg.html

Old 01-03-2011, 05:40 PM

22 posts, read 21,629 times
Bloomberg is a great mayor. Under his term, NYC has become a far more pleasant and beautiful city than it has ever been. Beautiful new parks, beautiful new buildings popping up, sprucing up of dumpy looking neighborhoods, beautiful pedestrian plazas. NYC needs the European pizazz and Bloomberg is delivering.

If it was up to you anti-Bloomberg, the entire city would look like a giant slum and everyone would be on welfare. No surprise the slums of New York went for Thompson and the most desirable neighborhoods full of tax paying citizens all went for Bloomberg last election. The last thing NYC needs is a proletariat mayor who caters to the poor. Bloomberg all about capitalism/business and rewarding productive citizens with with amazing amenities, livable neighborhoods, clean streets, etc. Bloomberg continues to keep the city an attractive place for educated, wealthy tax paying newcomers (i.e. the "yuppie").

Hopefully Bloomberg drafts a plan to dismantle public housing in Manhattan by the end of his term, and he will go down as the best mayor in NYC history.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:00 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone, View Post
Bloomberg is a great mayor. Under his term, NYC has become a far more pleasant and beautiful city than it has ever been. Beautiful new parks, beautiful new buildings popping up, sprucing up of dumpy looking neighborhoods, beautiful pedestrian plazas. NYC needs the European pizazz and Bloomberg is delivering.

If it was up to you anti-Bloomberg, the entire city would look like a giant slum and everyone would be on welfare. No surprise the slums of New York went for Thompson and the most desirable neighborhoods full of tax paying citizens all went for Bloomberg last election. The last thing NYC needs is a proletariat mayor who caters to the poor. Bloomberg all about capitalism/business and rewarding productive citizens with with amazing amenities, livable neighborhoods, clean streets, etc. Bloomberg continues to keep the city an attractive place for educated, wealthy tax paying newcomers (i.e. the "yuppie").

Hopefully Bloomberg drafts a plan to dismantle public housing in Manhattan by the end of his term, and he will go down as the best mayor in NYC history.
This whole post I disagree with, but that last paragraph is craziness. What makes Manhattan so unique that public housing shouldn't exist there?

Old 01-03-2011, 06:04 PM

22 posts, read 21,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
This whole post I disagree with, but that last paragraph is craziness. What makes Manhattan so unique that public housing shouldn't exist there?
I think you know the answer to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City