Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 06:48 PM

138 posts, read 313,886 times

Advertisements

With the ever increasing demand for housing in NYC, why don't more developers build taller and smaller apartments in the outer boroughs?

Tall (8-12 story) buildings full of small studio apartments or mixed small 1/2/3 bedrooms for rent, basic kitchen/bath energy efficient of course.

Tokyo apartment building.

Bathroom in Tokyo

This especially should be the case for low income SRO's.

A lot of old apartment buildings I visit back in NYC have large apartments, especially in the low income areas (there are exceptions). Even the apartments I grew up in were pretty big in different types of neighborhoods economically (I lived in tenements). The NYCHA public housing buildings also have huge apartments. Crazy considering they are low income housing. I am always shocked by the rowhouses/townhouses, front and backyards, parking space?! (At least build to the sidewalk, shrink it a bit, and 3 apartment minimum? Maybe mixed zoning for the corner houses.) Terrible decision to build that way in dense areas of Brooklyn and the Bronx, where the need is very high. A lot of the newer construction, affordable housing has relatively large apartments.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 11:51 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,780,598 times
Yeah, just what we need, Japanese type housing.

NO THANKS!

Isn't it enough, Bloomberg and the more worldly liberal Transplants attempting to Europeanize NYC?

What we need are American solutions to American problems.

Btw, the Japanese live that way because their nation is so small with little developable land.

Our problem is a bit different. For example, unfettered immigration and ridiculous social laws which inhibit and discourage growth and development. Such is the cause of NYC'S overcrowding and unaffordability.

Btw, didn't you get enough of dorm rooms in college?

Old 01-01-2011, 06:01 AM

NYC and Tokyo are comparable from a population density per square mile standpoint. NYC is a highly populated island/coastal city with a housing shortage and limited land.

I think a lot of people would settle for extra small rentals especially in Manhattan, Brooklyn and eventually the Bronx. A lot of people just want a place to sleep and hold their belongings.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:47 AM

9,239 posts, read 23,983,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ALTAWK718 View Post

I think a lot of people would settle for extra small rentals especially in Manhattan, Brooklyn and eventually the Bronx. A lot of people just want a place to sleep and hold their belongings.
Speak for yourself.One of the reasons I moved to The Bronx was because I wanted a 20 X15 LR,a 20x15 bedroom, a guest br,5 walk in closets and an eat in kitchen.I outgrew the living in a closet and sharing with others phases a long time ago.

A lot of people base their housing searches around getting the most space for a certain amount, not a certain location.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:59 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,892,116 times
I certainly would consider a small apartment for cheaper rent in Manhattan for the sole reason of a significantly faster commute. It wouldn't work for families, but can certainly be do-able for singles.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Speak for yourself.One of the reasons I moved to The Bronx was because I wanted a 20 X15 LR,a 20x15 bedroom, a guest br,5 walk in closets and an eat in kitchen.I outgrew the living in a closet and sharing with others phases a long time ago.

A lot of people base their housing searches around getting the most space for a certain amount, not a certain location.
I am speaking for myself, however plenty of NYCers prefure location over size. Not everyone needs a huge apartment and tons of bedrooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
I certainly would consider a small apartment for cheaper rent in Manhattan for the sole reason of a significantly faster commute. It wouldn't work for families, but can certainly be do-able for singles.
It would be very hard for families to operate out of a studio as it is now, but a reduction in square footage in multi bedrooms may not be so bad. Most people havremore room than they need anyway and fill it with clutter.

I have similar concerns to you, location over size.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:04 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,430,848 times
my idea is to take a what is called a sleeping tube set up and make a small apt out of the unit..what do you need most a place to sleep and place to take a shower and go to the bathroom and place to fix yourself a meal or two and a small what they call a sleeping tube room with a bult in small kitchentte and a bathroom would work great for a single person ..

here is a idea of what iam talking about and put all three togerther to make a mirco sized apt for the single person to live in in the price range of $500 a month with everything included in the rent but cable tv and internet the person renting it would have to get that themselfs .. ..
Attached Thumbnails
Build taller (more floors)/smaller (apartments) residential developments.-esqcapsule.gif   Build taller (more floors)/smaller (apartments) residential developments.-floorplanfull_standard.gif   Build taller (more floors)/smaller (apartments) residential developments.-capsule_hotel_with_open_curtain.jpg  

Old 01-01-2011, 08:12 AM

979 posts, read 4,441,792 times
Quote:
With the ever increasing demand for housing in NYC, why don't more developers build taller and smaller apartments in the outer boroughs?

Thoughts?
Once again this OP has shown a distinct lack of facts and/or knowledge about what he pontificates about.
New York City Real Estate News: Vacancy Rate Rises in Manhattan - WSJ.com
Quote:
Manhattan's rental-market recovery is slowing to a halt.
The Manhattan vacancy rate climbed to 1.29% in November, the fourth consecutive month the vacancy rate increased since it bottomed out in July, according to a monthly report by real-estate brokerage firm Citi Habitats.
Record apartment vacancy rate predicted for next year | The Real Deal | New York Real Estate News
Describes an ever rising vacancy rate in NYC

Apartment Vacancy Rates & Apartment Rent Rates: New York City & Long Island : MultifamilyInvestor – off market apartment buildings for sale – multifamily apartment building blog (http://www.multifamilyinvestor.com/apartment-vacancy-rates-apartment-rent-rates-new-york-city-long-island/ - broken link)
Quote:
In the first half of 2009, however, the vacancy rate topped 3%, a very unusual and foreboding sign.
The Slow Rise of Manhattan's Apartment Vacancy Rate | The New York Observer
Quote:
NYC and Tokyo are comparable from a population density per square mile standpoint
Population densities
City Mayors: Largest cities in the world by population density (1 to 125)

New York City 2,050 density (people per sqKm)
Tokyo/Yokohama 4,750 density (people per sqKm)
Not even close.

Last edited by modsquad81; 01-01-2011 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: redundancy

Old 01-01-2011, 08:17 AM

979 posts, read 4,441,792 times
Furthermore the idea that you could sell to Americans the idea of squatting on a plastic stool Japanese style and rinsing off before getting into a ceder bathtub is absurd.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:45 AM

9,239 posts, read 23,983,181 times
Quote:
I am speaking for myself, however plenty of NYCers prefure location over size. Not everyone needs a huge apartment and tons of bedrooms.........
And what about the NY'ers who don't care about being as close to Manhattan as possible ? More than 1/2 of the people in the "outer boroughs" don't commute to Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City