Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 12:36 PM

13,941 posts, read 14,814,510 times

Advertisements

Much of Brooklyn isnt bad anymore 20 years ago all but small areas were terrible but over 20 years that has totally fliped around
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 01:24 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,276,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris34567 View Post
Not a Brooklyn native but from hanging there I'd have to say IN GENERAL these areas are hoods, where the high crime is pervasive throughout.

Top of the list - Brownsville/Ocean Hill, get off at Ralph and walk down Buffalo Ave. That is classic hood - empty lots, run down apt buildings, scary projects, closed hospital building and the only bodega having plexiglass and selling sugarwater and chips. Getting off near the end of Eastern Parkway - Ocean Hill, is deceptive, some brownstones which vary in their care but historically high crime. As for Brownsville, there are stable spots that don't seem that hoodish. The shopping around Pitkin is not that different from decent shopping districts along Jamiaca Ave in Southeast Queens. And the houses off Pitkin are well maintained and at least during the day seems pretty low key.

Now we come to East New York, a very very deceptive place. There are sections that could pass for leafy suburbanish sections of Elmhurst and Jackson Heights or even a few spots of Astoria - these are areas near on the city's parks and public pools (well you could tell there was something off as the lifeguards just let the seagulls swim in the pool along with kids!). Yet there are small desolate sections of warehouses and huge fares with people hanging around waiting for action. In both areas there have been surges of violent crime.

Actually Sunset Park west of the 4th Ave can get sketchy.

I'd say Crown Heights is no longer a hood as Prospect Heights, Park Slope have gotten expensive enough that is the next nabe people are looking for with excellent housing stock and train lines nearby.

Bed Sty - depends. Not all of it is high crime area. the Bedford Ave area is a hood, the historic district off Fulton is not and is rather lively with the perf arts center. It still has a ways to go to become "hip".

Small portions of Carnarsie can be hood - Bayview Houses and the Pier are rather depressing.

Good deal of Bushwick is still hood with the gentrification happening close to Williamsburg.

Clinton Hill is not a hood --- again maybe a few portions by Lafayette Houses that's it. Oh, maybe the Pratt institute area has had a history of high crime in the past. Not sure now.

East Flatbush - I'd say very schizoid. You can go thru some sections where the housing stock is falling apart and think you are in some very sketchy section of Philly or Baltimore. So yeah some mini hoods there. I'd say it is the worst neighborhood to get lost due to this reason.

Finally not all of Northeast Bklyn is hood - one small area City Line the nabe that borders Nassau County is quiet suburbanish area, no high crime. There is no reason to visit there unless you are going to someone who lives there.
Good post bruh.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:57 PM

3 posts, read 17,109 times
@SUPERCHIC this is the point I was trying to make all along!!!! You guys keep saying this place and that place are "hoods" because crime happens there...Crime happens everywhere especially in brooklyn so what is The entire borough of Brooklyn a "hood"? Anything could happen to someone at any time but you hope for the best try not to get yourself in trouble...if you want to be totally safe then don't come to Brooklyn and stay on the Upper West Side!!!

I can't imagine what some of you guys would think about some of these neighborhoods 15-20 years ago because these neighborhoods are like wall street compared to what they were back then

Old 07-17-2011, 01:28 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,334,860 times
Brooklyn isn't dangerous much at all anymore save for select areas in a few neighborhoods at certain times of the day.

This is only for murder but it stretches for 7 years amongst 2.5MM people over those years.

If you put it in context, it isn't bad at all. Considering that amount of people in poverty or working poor.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 11,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
I saw a motorcycle get stolen right in front of Brooklyn College. These 2 people just got out of a van and dragged a motorcycle into their van.
Do you remember anything about the van the bike was taken in? My bike was stolen yesterday right from in front of the security booth next to the crosswalk. i left it there for 20 minutes and it was gone. Of course the security guards didnt see anything and there are no cameras there.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,679 times
tell him ta move to red hook, i wuz born an raised there if he wants a hood he will find one there

Old 08-31-2011, 08:00 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,468,621 times
Isn't everyone immediately suspicious of a thread that starts with, "I have a friend..." It's never the person in question who desperately needs to know something; they're always asking for this mysterious, unspecified "friend." Or, in extreme cases, a mysterious and unspecified FOAF (friend of a friend).

Old 08-31-2011, 06:13 PM

573 posts, read 1,457,623 times
What about that crazy huge amount of projects near rockaway & mother gaston in brownsville?? i know it has a pretty bad rep but, just like Claremont Village in the BX with the Butler/webster houses etc, i gotta admit that it always amaze me how the hell anybody could have honestly believe that throwing that much people in such small areas could have turned into something good...still causes me headache sometimes..

Old 08-31-2011, 09:39 PM

393 posts, read 888,566 times
Williamsburg is not hood at all! Red Hook is hardly a bad neighborhood. Prospect Park is not the name of a neighborhood, it's the name of a park, and a fairly safe one at that. Bushwick used to be kinda bad but it's improving rapidly. You're crazy, kid. Most of these areas are very safe. And you didn't even mention East New York, one of the worst neighborhoods in the city!

Old 08-31-2011, 09:40 PM

393 posts, read 888,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Isn't everyone immediately suspicious of a thread that starts with, "I have a friend..." It's never the person in question who desperately needs to know something; they're always asking for this mysterious, unspecified "friend." Or, in extreme cases, a mysterious and unspecified FOAF (friend of a friend).
I like how on forums discussing illegal stuff, they use "SWIM": someone who isn't me. "SWIM would like to know how to shoot heroin." bahahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City