Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 05:56 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
The 25% estimate is probably from a decade ago (And yes, I've seen the city-data page about Canarsie). Starrett City's White population is about 25%, but not Canarsie's.

Canarsie's White population nowadays is less than 10% (with the highest percentage being around Rockaway Parkway). And Brownsville's White population is about 1% (not that it makes a big difference. )

My source is here: Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

But yeah, aside from the fact that both areas are mostly Black, there's really no comparison between Canarsie and Brownsville.
Canarsie went from 67% Black in 2000 to 81% in 2010, It's now one of the blackest areas in Brooklyn.

Not exactly Brownsville Jr., but definitely an area with problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 08:56 PM

25 posts, read 93,234 times
are the prospect heights and fort greene areas safe?

Old 01-04-2012, 12:51 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhipster916 View Post
are the prospect heights and fort greene areas safe?
For the most part yes. It is still in a big city and you have to be aware of your surroundings, but overall they are safe areas.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:05 PM

423 posts, read 1,280,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Scratch View Post
The area by Tennis Court in Flatbush SUCKS!
I agree. I always tell the story of how a bunch of guys tried to start with me and my friend because he was wearing red. It is a shortcut to Ocean Avenue, though.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:08 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
I agree. I always tell the story of how a bunch of guys tried to start with me and my friend because he was wearing red. It is a shortcut to Ocean Avenue, though.

What is this Compton or something I always hate hearing about LA and Chicago based gangs in NY good thing their dying out.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:30 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
For the most part yes. It is still in a big city and you have to be aware of your surroundings, but overall they are safe areas.
No area is safe. Some areas are safers than others however crime still happens. I read a lot of news from Brooklyn. In the fort green area the biggest crime complaint in that area are that yupppies are getting mugged on the street for iphones. People must need to use common sense more often on the streets of NYC.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:45 PM

66 posts, read 181,109 times
Coming from Philadelphia and having lived in NYC for the past 5 years, I can say that your friend won't see areas as bad as vast swaths of North Philly (including Badlands and North Central), The Bottom in West Philly or areas in SouthWest Philly. But if he does want to see hoods that are as close as you'll get in Brooklyn and in NYC in general - Brownsville and East New York are it.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:14 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
No area is safe. Some areas are safers than others however crime still happens. I read a lot of news from Brooklyn. In the fort green area the biggest crime complaint in that area are that yupppies are getting mugged on the street for iphones. People must need to use common sense more often on the streets of NYC.
I know, that is what "be aware of your surroundings" means, which if you do that, then chances are the area that statement refers to is, yes the area is relatively safe for a big city.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,478 times
Listen I'm from Brooklyn 34 years old, growin up we used to call this Brooknam, as in Vietnam. It was actually worse than it is now. Bedstuy was off the meter,(Stuyvesant and Dekalb) was a crazy block. Now i live in East NY, about 1.5 miles from Brownsville abd it was actually the worst part of Brooklyn this year, Whom ever compare the "Ville" to Iraq has obviously never served in combat, my experience in a combat theater of operations was nothing soft, every insurgent had an AK, or and RPG, don't forget about the snipers, IED's and roadside bombs, 18 months of that will make anyone humble, not to mention it was dumb hot

Old 01-19-2012, 10:12 AM

66 posts, read 181,109 times
Either place (Iraq or Brooklyn) are much safer than being in Ciudad Juarez though. That's ranked as the most dangerous city in the world now, beating out Somalia, Afghanistan and Iraq- and those are active warzones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City