Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2012, 07:35 PM

811 posts, read 550,335 times

Advertisements

Too many people in this city want to make it rougher than it is. Honestly, East New York, Brownsville, etc. Are NOT that bad. The crime for th most part is motive related where it's fools killing other fools which really isn't a bad thing, it leaves the better citizens alive. No where in NYC is that bad where you need to be scared to walk to unless again, you're involved with the wrong activity or people.

As another poster mentioned, you all want to be scared, go to Detroit, parts of New orleans, South chicago, neighborhoods where you could literally be killed just for noone recognizing on a block. You all act like brownsville is hell on earth, I've been there and nothing has happened to me you all live in fear too much. Look at how many people were murdered and compare it to the population. Last year brownsville probably had no more than 30 murders, now compare that to the population which is about 100,000...if it was as bad as you all say don't you think all of the people who have been living there for o long would still be alive and well. With said murders, again its for the most part gangs killing other gangs, disputes, drug dealers killing others.

Again, id rather be in brownsville at 4 am than some other neighborhoods in this country at like 2 pm. You all love to exaggerate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 08:15 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizualizax90 View Post
Too many people in this city want to make it rougher than it is. Honestly, East New York, Brownsville, etc. Are NOT that bad. The crime for th most part is motive related where it's fools killing other fools which really isn't a bad thing, it leaves the better citizens alive. No where in NYC is that bad where you need to be scared to walk to unless again, you're involved with the wrong activity or people.

As another poster mentioned, you all want to be scared, go to Detroit, parts of New orleans, South chicago, neighborhoods where you could literally be killed just for noone recognizing on a block. You all act like brownsville is hell on earth, I've been there and nothing has happened to me you all live in fear too much. Look at how many people were murdered and compare it to the population. Last year brownsville probably had no more than 30 murders, now compare that to the population which is about 100,000...if it was as bad as you all say don't you think all of the people who have been living there for o long would still be alive and well. With said murders, again its for the most part gangs killing other gangs, disputes, drug dealers killing others.

Again, id rather be in brownsville at 4 am than some other neighborhoods in this country at like 2 pm. You all love to exaggerate.
True indeed. I too also live in a rough area and nothing has not happened to me and my fam, no robberis or burglaries, nada. Ive been to so many rough hoods at certain hours of the time and nothing has happened. I do agree though its Ni##%Q killing N!##$$ for drugs and retribution.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
True indeed. I too also live in a rough area and nothing has not happened to me and my fam, no robberis or burglaries, nada. Ive been to so many rough hoods at certain hours of the time and nothing has happened. I do agree though its Ni##%Q killing N!##$$ for drugs and retribution.
Exactly! And also, the "Ni##%Q killing N!##$$" is the exact phrase I wanted to use but didn't want the possibly consequences that would come after.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:21 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:

Tell that to her; she was just walking her kids from school:

Brooklyn mother of 12 mourned, hailed a hero: Police commish *Ray Kelly among 250 at Zurana Horton?s emotional funeral * - New York Daily News

Bullets dont have names on it, they hit whoever. Meant for the gangbanger, but hit the mother of 12. So you keep eating from that bowl of courage. Get an apartment there if its like that.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-20-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Tell that to her; she was just walking her kids from school:

Brooklyn mother of 12 mourned, hailed a hero: Police commish *Ray Kelly among 250 at Zurana Horton?s emotional funeral * - New York Daily News

Bullets dont have names on it, they hit whoever. Meant for the gangbanger, but hit the mother of 12. So you keep eating from that bowl of courage. Get an apartment there if its like that.
Please, you're acting like that is a daily occurence. Again, a little more than 20 murders in that neighborhood in one year and out of that number only ONE was a case of a stray bullet. Ill give you the benefit of the doubt and assume maybe one, two more. Still doesn't mean a place is hell on earth. I think ill take my chances.

I'll gladly get an apartment there, hell, it's cheap. There are people who are in their 50's and older living around there for years and guess what, out of all those years, they're still alive and well. If it's as bad as you all make it seem, no one in the area would be past the age of 30. Of course anything is possible nothing is guaranteed, you can get shot anywhere.

And no, this bowl is REALISM, try it. It's not courage, if it was courage i'd say I'm not scared of a single place on this earth however I admitted there are a few i'd never go to. You need to look at some stats and think about number.s 100,000 people, only double digits of murders, wouldn't you say that's a pretty good chance at a long life if you're clean and free of illegal activity?

Old 01-20-2012, 10:27 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Visualizex you're mind is really warped... This comment right here "100,000 people only double digits of murders, wouldn't you say that's a pretty good chance at a long life..." is one of the most insensitive ignorant comments ive read in awhile... Oh so at least its only 30 people dying in one of NYC smallest neighborhoods a year... thats okay then... Moron... check the statistics of the most dangerous cities in the country... Brownsville would rank top 10 if not top 5...

Some of the most dangerous cities on the list have somewhere around 8 to 10 murders a year but the population is smaller... NYC has always been murder capital... and all these murders and shootouts are happening in the same square mile radius as a city in the country that has these 8 to 10 murders a year... Only difference is instead of ghetto houses and vacant lots... its thousands of people packed liked sardines into broken down projects and apartment buildings... When you realize that all this violence and 30 murders a year is happening in the same square mile radius as the number 1 or 2 most violent city in the country that has 8-10 murders... that's more telling to me than anything else... And what's even crazier is that these numbers are a fraction of what they used to be... You have no idea what it was like to live in NYC circa 1970-1990...

And these areas are still plagued with crime and terrorized by local gangs that keep people afraid of leaving thier homes at all times... For the record, the bullet that killed that mother of 12 was at 3pm not 4 in the morning...

Murders in this neighborhood happen so often, majority of the time they dont even report it... Only news channel that I see that consistently gives this neighborhood any attention at all is Brooklyn 12 news...

Election Results
Election Results

And I know I've posted this many times, but people need to realize what the hard working folks of Brownsville have to deal with on a daily basis... I lived on the border between East NY and Brownsville in the 80s and 90s and I know numbers'll tell you its gotten much better but the same old crap I saw back then I still see there nowadays... Only differences now are the cops aren't as dirty... statistics don't tell the whole story... and the graffitti isn't as bad...

Brownsville Brooklyn N.Y Crips (C-ZUP) - YouTube

My final point about this whole thing that I have also mentioned before is that people assume that because they visit an area one time and 76 people didn't get shot and killed in front of them... then it's automatically not that bad... Just because things don't happen when your around doesn't mean it doesn't happen... Just like you passed by one block and Brownsville and you felt comfortable I can tell you I've passed through New Haven, Lowell, South Chicago, Puerto Rican part of Detroit, the hoods of Miami and Orlando and amazingly I am still in one piece... The hood is the hood throughout... Same problems that affect people in this city affect people in other cities as well... Only difference is scenery...

Old 01-20-2012, 10:48 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,769 times
This is what it boils down to.

You have to keep in mind that for those of us born and raised here, especially those of us who grew up in bad areas, these places are not that big of a deal. Yes there's still plenty of QOL issues, there's still plenty of crime compared to other parts of the city. No one is questioning that.

However, we carry ourselves in a different manner than an outsider would. We were raised to keep looking straight ahead and keep walking. We gave off the "you don't f*ck with me, I won't f&ck with you" attitude and accordingly, we were usually fine. Street smarts is something we were raised with because we were forced to.

So in context, these areas, (Brownsville, East NY, Canarsie, Bed Stuy) which we would be fine walking through without feeling like we have to look over our shoulder constantly, an outsider wouldn't. Unless they're from the hood in some other city, they're going to lack the street smarts to feel comfortable walking through some of the worst parts of Brooklyn. It's boils down to mentality. Some outsiders might be perfectly okay and feel safe. Most won't if they have to question if an area is safe, just like we see asked on here all the time.

I was born in East Flatbush, raised for 23 years in Starrett City, which is surrounded by East NY, Canarsie, Brownsville and City Line. I'm Puerto Rican but look white and yet I never had a problem except for 1 time walking from East 105th St. station. I rode the trains alone at 4am in the late 80's and early 90s. I used to cut through projects all the time, and would walk up Pennsylvania Ave a lot to Livonia Ave. station or Broadway Junction. I visited friends all over the crappy parts of Brooklyn at all hours. And things were worse then they are now.

Is it completely safe and without incident? No. But as long as you go back to the "I don't f&ck with you, you don't f&ck with me" mentality, you should be okay.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Visualizex you're mind is really warped... This comment right here "100,000 people only double digits of murders, wouldn't you say that's a pretty good chance at a long life..." is one of the most insensitive ignorant comments ive read in awhile... Oh so at least its only 30 people dying in one of NYC smallest neighborhoods a year... thats okay then... Moron... check the statistics of the most dangerous cities in the country... Brownsville would rank top 10 if not top 5...

Some of the most dangerous cities on the list have somewhere around 8 to 10 murders a year but the population is smaller... NYC has always been murder capital... and all these murders and shootouts are happening in the same square mile radius as a city in the country that has these 8 to 10 murders a year... Only difference is instead of ghetto houses and vacant lots... its thousands of people packed liked sardines into broken down projects and apartment buildings... When you realize that all this violence and 30 murders a year is happening in the same square mile radius as the number 1 or 2 most violent city in the country that has 8-10 murders... that's more telling to me than anything else... And what's even crazier is that these numbers are a fraction of what they used to be... You have no idea what it was like to live in NYC circa 1970-1990...

And these areas are still plagued with crime and terrorized by local gangs that keep people afraid of leaving thier homes at all times... For the record, the bullet that killed that mother of 12 was at 3pm not 4 in the morning...

Murders in this neighborhood happen so often, majority of the time they dont even report it... Only news channel that I see that consistently gives this neighborhood any attention at all is Brooklyn 12 news...

Election Results
Election Results

And I know I've posted this many times, but people need to realize what the hard working folks of Brownsville have to deal with on a daily basis... I lived on the border between East NY and Brownsville in the 80s and 90s and I know numbers'll tell you its gotten much better but the same old crap I saw back then I still see there nowadays... Only differences now are the cops aren't as dirty... statistics don't tell the whole story... and the graffitti isn't as bad...

Brownsville Brooklyn N.Y Crips (C-ZUP) - YouTube

My final point about this whole thing that I have also mentioned before is that people assume that because they visit an area one time and 76 people didn't get shot and killed in front of them... then it's automatically not that bad... Just because things don't happen when your around doesn't mean it doesn't happen... Just like you passed by one block and Brownsville and you felt comfortable I can tell you I've passed through New Haven, Lowell, South Chicago, Puerto Rican part of Detroit, the hoods of Miami and Orlando and amazingly I am still in one piece... The hood is the hood throughout... Same problems that affect people in this city affect people in other cities as well... Only difference is scenery...
You're another NYC-crime-is-rampant hypeman like most others on this forum that are like the kid that wants to "rep the hood" when where he's from isn't that bad. And you say these criminals keep people afraid to leave their homes, that's what I'm saying! I'm not! Because once again just about all the murders that happen are N***** killing other N*****! They have no reason to be afraid because NYC is not the type of place you get killed just like that.

I don't see how it's insensitive, most of the people killed in these neighborhoods weren't going anywhere in life anyway. You really think your local gang banger hanging out in front of the bodega all the time selling drugs was gonna be a big lawyer or doctor in some years? Please, these guys killing eachother is for the better trust me, it's population control and weeds out the better citizens of society. However, it is unfortunate for cases like the woman in the article mentioned previously and it is good that doesn't happen here all the time.

And again so you tell me anon, if there are "so many murders they don't even bother to report them" how is it once again the population stays so similar each year. I would think if there were so many people killed you would see a drastic drop.

No one in brownsville should be afraid if you walk with confidence and mind ya business and aren't affiliated. I could look up all the murders in brownsille now you tell me how many of them would be a case of "Man sees other man walking down street, shoots him for no reason." Or "man driving down street in brownsville, car was not recognized by residents so group opened fire and killed the driver" That's right, none. Which is why I've driven, walked through the neighborhood just fine.

Even other places like jamaica, which I hate when people make out to be so bad when its really not, just a bunch of middle class families. I swear if there was a shooting in bay ridge you all would jump on it to say "Oh man, it's getting rough out there. It's bad. We're going back to the 80s!"

Old 01-20-2012, 11:11 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
You're another NYC-crime-is-rampant hypeman like most others on this forum that are like the kid that wants to "rep the hood" when where he's from isn't that bad. And you say these criminals keep people afraid to leave their homes, that's what I'm saying! I'm not! Because once again just about all the murders that happen are N***** killing other N*****! They have no reason to be afraid because NYC is not the type of place you get killed just like that.

I don't see how it's insensitive, most of the people killed in these neighborhoods weren't going anywhere in life anyway. You really think your local gang banger hanging out in front of the bodega all the time selling drugs was gonna be a big lawyer or doctor in some years? Please, these guys killing eachother is for the better trust me, it's population control and weeds out the better citizens of society. However, it is unfortunate for cases like the woman in the article mentioned previously and it is good that doesn't happen here all the time.

And again so you tell me anon, if there are "so many murders they don't even bother to report them" how is it once again the population stays so similar each year. I would think if there were so many people killed you would see a drastic drop.

No one in brownsville should be afraid if you walk with confidence and mind ya business and aren't affiliated. I could look up all the murders in brownsille now you tell me how many of them would be a case of "Man sees other man walking down street, shoots him for no reason." Or "man driving down street in brownsville, car was not recognized by residents so group opened fire and killed the driver" That's right, none. Which is why I've driven, walked through the neighborhood just fine.

Even other places like jamaica, which I hate when people make out to be so bad when its really not, just a bunch of middle class families. I swear if there was a shooting in bay ridge you all would jump on it to say "Oh man, it's getting rough out there. It's bad. We're going back to the 80s!"

On the anon is the bk version of supermario who also exaggerates about crime in the bx. I wonder if these guys are one of the same?

Old 01-20-2012, 11:23 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
No exaggerations just tell it like it is... The stories that I post on here aren't fabricated, i'm just posting on here articles that disprove your idea that random crimes and murders don't happen in this neighborhood... You say it never happens... we've already given you two examples without batting an eye... I have nothing to gain from "Hyping up a hood"... I don't live there anymore... only difference is I don't disregard what people in these hoods still go through since I dealt with it for so many years...

The only reason why I mention these statistics is because people become so blinded by that safest city in america fact that they assume that the whole city is a utopia...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City