U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-02-2011, 01:41 PM

383 posts, read 631,892 times
Default Bad Areas In Brooklyn

Ok, So I have a Friend from Philly who has been to NY, but never been to Brooklyn. He goes over to cambria heights most of the time. So when he's in NY he spends most of his time in Queens or Manhattan. I don't know why but he has an obsession with "Hoods". He wants me to give him names some hoods in Brooklyn. I'll even name the different sections of BK's hood. so here goes.

Northwest BK- Clinton Hill, Red Hook
North Side BK- Bushwick, Williamsburg
Northeast BK- I'd Stay Out Of ALL OF IT
Central BK- Bed-stuy, Brownsville, Crown Heights, East Flatbush, Flathbush, Ocean Hill, Prospect Park
Southweast- Mabe sunset park but most if not all of southwest brooklyn is dumd safe
South side BK- Coney Island, Gravsend ( as long as you stay out of the Projects in both these areas you should be good)
Southeast BK- Canarsie, Flatlands

I think thats covers it. If You agree add a comment. If you disagree add a comment. If you agree to disagree add a comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-09-2011, 11:18 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,790,830 times
Northeast BK the only livable area in there I would say is Starrett City but even thats a little shady but its not too bad.

Never really thought Canarcie was hood but I guess Black people moving into an area makes people automatically assume its bad. To me, that area is ok passing through it but just like any other nabe has its good parts and bad parts.

Sunset Park is pretty shady especially towards 4th ave I believe it is and Williamsburg is yuppyville now, but I'd still that the projects by S1st and S2nd st. are still not that great. Northside is completely gentrified but that Southside area can still be a little shady I live not too far off from there in Ridgewood.

And Prospect Park I don't feel is a bad area at all. Its upper middle class people over there and if crime happens its pretty random at least compared to the other neighborhoods you mentioned.

Unread 01-09-2011, 11:34 AM

1,919 posts, read 2,714,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvillian718 View Post
Ok, So I have a Friend from Philly who has been to NY, but never been to Brooklyn. He goes over to cambria heights most of the time. So when he's in NY he spends most of his time in Queens or Manhattan. I don't know why but he has an obsession with "Hoods". He wants me to give him names some hoods in Brooklyn. I'll even name the different sections of BK's hood. so here goes.

Northwest BK- Clinton Hill, Red Hook
North Side BK- Bushwick, Williamsburg
Northeast BK- I'd Stay Out Of ALL OF IT
Central BK- Bed-stuy, Brownsville, Crown Heights, East Flatbush, Flathbush, Ocean Hill, Prospect Park
Southweast- Mabe sunset park but most if not all of southwest brooklyn is dumd safe
South side BK- Coney Island, Gravsend ( as long as you stay out of the Projects in both these areas you should be good)
Southeast BK- Canarsie, Flatlands

I think thats covers it. If You agree add a comment. If you disagree add a comment. If you agree to disagree add a comment.
Why did Clinton Hill, Williamsburgh, Prospect Park, Gravesend and Flatlands make your list? I always thought of the Park Slope side of Prospect Park as the CPW of Brooklyn.

Unread 01-09-2011, 04:39 PM

383 posts, read 631,892 times
Clinton Hill is pretty hood kid. I live over here now so i know from first hand, but even then check out the spotcrime websites. Flatlands, yes. I'm from flatands. Mad stuff happens over there. South williamsburgh is more hood if anything. and gravesend just made it because they have PJ's.

Unread 01-09-2011, 07:35 PM

9,174 posts, read 15,752,612 times
Quote:
Clinton Hill is pretty hood kid. I live over here now so i know from first hand, but even then check out the spotcrime websites. Flatlands, yes. I'm from flatands. Mad stuff happens over there. South williamsburgh is more hood if anything. and gravesend just made it because they have PJ's.
Only bad part of Clinton Hill is Lafayette Gardens and the surrounding area, and the intersection of Putnam Avenue/Downing Street. Fulton Street from Vanderbilt to Classon has some crackheads walking around, thats about it. The rest of the neighborhood is average crime rate at best for Brooklyn. And the Flatlands section of Brooklyn is pretty tame as well. Definitely not a place where violent crime happens on a regular basis.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Unread 01-09-2011, 09:14 PM

905 posts, read 1,698,484 times
Williamsburg is definitely not the hood. South Williamsburg isn't completely gentrified like the Northside, but there's plenty of gray area between "yuppietown" and "horrid ghetto." The Southside can get a little sketchy, especially as you move east towards Bushwick, but "the hood?" No. I live on the Southside, though fairly close to the dividing line, and I have never seen or heard anybody do anything threatening and have never personally felt threatened. There are pockets of Williamsburg that are a tad shady, but nowhere is it "the hood."

Clinton Hill is also not the hood, though it may have some bad pockets. I'm not too familiar with Gravesend or Flatlands, but I've been through both and they seem pretty tame (Gravesend is practically the suburbs). Also, having projects does not make an entire neighborhood bad. There's plenty of areas of Brooklyn where the nefarious elements are confined to the projects themselves, and you go two or three blocks, and it's fine.

Prospect Park is not a neighborhood. If you are referring to Prospect Heights, that is most certainly not the hood. The west side of the park is Park Slope, which arguably the nicest part of Brooklyn. The south side has Windsor Terrace and Kensington, which are fine. The only neighborhood bordering Prospect Park that may qualify as "the hood" is Lefferts Gardens, on the east side, and that's borderline.

If your friend wants to visit the hood in Brooklyn, tell him to go to East New York or Brownsville.

Unread 01-10-2011, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Uh, could someone translate this quote into English for me?

Unread 01-10-2011, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
(Gravesend is practically the suburbs). Also, having projects does not make an entire neighborhood bad. There's plenty of areas of Brooklyn where the nefarious elements are confined to the projects themselves, and you go two or three blocks, and it's fine.
A great example are the Gowanus houses in Boerum Hill. Across the street from these projects sit million dollar homes. The most unusual sight I ever saw were families from the brownstones enjoying a day with their toddlers in a park on the grounds of Gowanus houses. When I was a kid in the 70's we weren't allowed to even walk along Hoyt street for fear that we would cross paths with residents from Gowanus projects. I guess Gowanus has lost some of its bad rep. with the ever expanding gentrification of the neighborhood. One bodega on Bond st. has turned into a Mahattan style deli. In a few years I wouldn't be surprised to see Hoyt street get infected like Smith street. Starbucks and Brooklyn Industries on the corners of Hoyt and Baltic? Now I've seen everything.

Unread 01-10-2011, 11:37 AM

9,174 posts, read 15,752,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
A great example are the Gowanus houses in Boerum Hill. Across the street from these projects sit million dollar homes. The most unusual sight I ever saw were families from the brownstones enjoying a day with their toddlers in a park on the grounds of Gowanus houses. When I was a kid in the 70's we weren't allowed to even walk along Hoyt street for fear that we would cross paths with residents from Gowanus projects. I guess Gowanus has lost some of its bad rep. with the ever expanding gentrification of the neighborhood. One bodega on Bond st. has turned into a Mahattan style deli. In a few years I wouldn't be surprised to see Hoyt street get infected like Smith street. Starbucks and Brooklyn Industries on the corners of Hoyt and Baltic? Now I've seen everything.
I used to go to the playground at Gowanus Houses to eat my lunch when I used to work in the area, and this was 10 years ago. It's much safer than it was in the '90s.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Unread 01-10-2011, 10:41 PM

279 posts, read 591,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Uh, could someone translate this quote into English for me?
I believe the gentleman/woman is saying that Clinton Hill is a dangerous neighborhood as well as Flatlands? )Canarsie?) I'm not sure what constitutes Flatlands.The replier also finds South Williamsburgh and Gravesend end to be particularly bad as well.

The only question I would have for the replier is why are you inserting relatively safe neighborhoods in your reply? South Williamsburg would be the toughest but none of these neighborhoods should really make the list.
If you are talking "hoods" in Brooklyn the discussion begins and ends with East New York and Brownsville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City