U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-02-2011, 03:17 PM

18 posts, read 44,989 times

Advertisements

I'm going into my second semester in my Senior year in High School, and I plan to spend the summer in New York.
I currently live in a small town in Mississippi, and I've been dreaming of living in New York for years!
I want to stay there for the month of June and the first two weeks of July, and I'm looking for an appartment that's in a fairly safe area.
Could you guys list some areas and tell me the price range? I'm not exactley sure on how much I'm willing to spend and I would love to know how much I would need. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 03:28 PM

110 posts, read 126,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler. View Post
I'm going into my second semester in my Senior year in High School, and I plan to spend the summer in New York.
I currently live in a small town in Mississippi, and I've been dreaming of living in New York for years!
I want to stay there for the month of June and the first two weeks of July, and I'm looking for an appartment that's in a fairly safe area.
Could you guys list some areas and tell me the price range? I'm not exactley sure on how much I'm willing to spend and I would love to know how much I would need. Thanks in advance!

Basically you cannot live anywhere affordable close to manhattan, which leaves certain neighborhoods in places like queens or brooklyn. Which still comparing to what you are used to are probably still really expensive.

to judge where is more safe, simply research if it has alot of projects containing large amounts of blacks and puerto ricans. If that is the case, its probably not safe, and especially not for you.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:36 PM

383 posts, read 748,647 times
I can help you out with areas but not to much with prices since i myself live with a friend in Clinton Hill.

Chelsea has some pretty good deals with subsidized Housing which may look like housing projects but isn't. I had a girl friend who lived in subsidized Housing in chelsea and she said they are fairly nice. Also Chelsea isn't a bad area either. Bad in Manhattan is Mostly uptown. Central Harlem, East Harlem, Washington Heights, and Lower East Side Manhattan can be bad also.

My boy kenny lives over in Red Hook (which is in Brooklyn) and said they've got some pretty good deals on apartments over there, but Red Hook can be pretty hood at times.

Hopefully what i told you helps.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:29 PM

9,413 posts, read 16,090,353 times
For a six week rental, you need to look at a service like sublet.com and go from there. It's of little use to you to have other posters recommend areas/apartments as you would need to qualify for a lease with income, etc.; and, you're not taking up permanent residency, so it would be a difficult process. Looking at sublets will help give you a gauge of prices, and then you can post back for other budget help. One thing to remember is put a cushion in your expenses, so that if you calculate $5k, bring $7k -- that sort of thing.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-02-2011, 08:43 PM

8,392 posts, read 11,510,994 times
For a safe neighborhood appropriate for an 18-year-old, figure $1,800-2,500 per month for rent to sub-let your own studio apartment in Manhattan or a safe part of Brooklyn. Neighborhood names are:
Upper East Side (which is E 59th to E 96th....NOTHING above 96th is Upper East Side, no matter what the real estate listing says!!!)

Upper West Side (W 59th to W 110th- close to Columbia University, more college aged kids live there the closer you get to 110th)

Tudor City

Sutton Place

Beekman Place

Gramercy Park

Murray Hill

Parts of Central/West Midtown, in the 50's from 5th Ave west to Broadway/7th Ave

Union Square

Greenwich Village / "the Village" / NYU area

West Village

Meatpacking District

SoHo

TriBeCa

Financial District - safe, but boring. Dead at night.

Battery Park City- same as Financial District

East Village, west of Ave A

NoLiTa

Central Chelsea, say nothing west of 8th Ave since there are some projects over there. An 18-year-old may not feel comfortable there or have appropriate street smarts

Lower East Side- same advice as the area west of 8th Ave in Chelsea. Depends on your street smarts

Brooklyn Heights

DUMBO

Park Slope

Astoria (Queens)

If you are willing to have a roommate or two, you can probably work closer to $1,000-1,500 for your share each month. Depends on what the people on the lease want to charge for someone who won't be there for a whole year.

I'd figure another $1,000 per month in spending money to cover subway card, food, sight-seeing and entertainment and other misc expenses.

Honestly, unless your folks are loaded, NYC is a lot more fun when you're a bit older (like after jr year of college) and when you're working/interning and have an "instant" friend group for happy hours and other stuff. It's a wonderful, wonderful city, but unless your funds are unlimited, I imagine you will either run out of money or be bored because you can't afford to do a ton after your first 2-3 weeks. That's why coming back when you're older - making money- makes for a better experience. Plus, bars & clubs are 21+, so you won't have a ton of nightlife options.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:27 AM

383 posts, read 748,647 times
Central Chelsea doesn't have housing projects it has subsidized housing(VERY BIG DIFFERENCE), And i wouldn't Tell a 18 to live in Lower East Side, You don't have the street smarts for that area and your not even from NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City