U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-03-2011, 12:07 AM
 
4,496 posts, read 3,440,456 times
Reputation: 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post
Pulling them from different threads is irrelevant. They were pretty direct comments in themselves. What came before or after them doesn't make a difference.

Well let's see. The second quote you pulled comes out of the mouth of one of the posters here who is unbelievably clueless on the matter and whom I have completely owned over and over and over again on that thread that you pulled it from. So yeah, you using that quote shows me that you are quite out of your element.

But if you want me to fill you in on this point that you were trying to make, I will. And it ties in to the first quote you pulled........The fact of the matter is, is that even if at least half of the cops and firefighters live in the sorrounding suburbs, they are still true new yorkers. I can guarantee you without a question that the overwhelming majority of them (probably about 98%) either: A) grew up within the five boroughs or B) have deep roots within and/or a ton of family that reside within the five boroughs. These guys deal with this city like you probably don't understand. One of them has more street smarts in his little pinky than twenty noobs put together do.

So my point is that a cop who lives in Yonkers or a firefighter who lives in Valley Stream is astronomically more of a true New Yorker than some transplanted yuppie who lives in a duplex in Tribeca or some snotty little hipster who has lived in Brooklyn for five years.

Also, I like how you completely disregarded the middle of my original post.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2011, 12:44 AM
 
Location: New York City
1,235 posts, read 998,311 times
Reputation: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by bn1 View Post
Hey StuddedLeather - here you say if you were born in NY but grew up (aka raised) in London then you can't say you're a Native Londonite. Would you say you're a Native New Yorker in this scenario? I only ask because in another thread you said this:



If you apply the above to your London scenario, you can't say you're a native Londoner OR a native New Yorker because you weren't born in London and weren't raised in New York.

But obviously if someone asks you where're from or a native of - I imagine you'd say a native of one city or the other - so which would you say? I only ask because this is probably the case for a lot of people in NJ and maybe CT as well. Born in NYC, raised in NJ (and know the subways). According to your London scenario, they can't say they're native Jerseyan since they're not born there. And some on C-D (like KONY) would say they can't say native New Yorker either because they moved away at too early of an age.

In the end everyone knows this is just a speculative question, but it'll be interesting to hear your opinion since your two examples seem to contradict each other.

In terms of the OP question - I'd say a real New Yorker is someone who lives in New York and fully adopts it as home. For example, I hear a lot of West Coasters who come and visit NYC or have just moved say it feels overwhelming or their senses are overstimulated. I guess when that feeling disappears and NYC has become their comfort zone - they're a real New Yorker regardless of where they came from.
Maybe I should've been a little more, specific? I still stand by being born and raised in one place makes you a (true) native. (To a certain extent)

Before I side track I was assuming people would read that as "If I were born one place but moved to another place alittle later, I can't be a "Real Londoner" Even though I grew up there" - I would be a native of NY BUT only by definition (being born in any place makes you a Native, period). I wouldn't consider myself a "Native New Yorker" Because Everything I know would be from London. I hope I'm no confusing anyone. (Just let me know)

I have a friend that was born in NY, Yet moved to ATL when he was just 2 months and grew up there. He proclaimed that he's strictly from ATL. But in reality he's a Native NYer (By definition).

As far as the other thread I was talking about people born and raised here - - - Those who are the "true" - "native" NYer's (meaning they were raised in the 5 boroughs.)

I also want to clarify when I say words like "true" or "real" - In the case of my friend (technically) he can say he's a native of NY. But he's not (he is, but you guys know what I mean). Why? Because he has the culture of the south. He doesn't use public transportation, he knows nothing about NY/our culture and he's connected with the life of ATL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 01:30 AM
 
110 posts, read 120,384 times
Reputation: 73
I think it more has to do with being a part of a culture and history that developed exclusively in new york vs being a part of a culture and history that has nothing to do with new york.

Here is one example

This is what people are talking about when they are comparing the transplants to natives.

For example, when I say I want to live in my own ethnic enclave in brooklyn, in most all cases a native new yorker who was born AND raised here (not somebody who was born in NY but grew up there whole life in a small town somwhere) will accept this as a normal fact of life in new york.

The transplant usually would give me a speech about how I am closed minded, because I don't want to frolic around in a "Diverse" shopping mall like manhattan is today and don't have tons of black friends who go to starbucks with me.

There seems to be this myth perpetuated among transplants or some trust fund babies in the city that to be a new yorker you are supposed to be very integrated and very much a part of a sort of "Universal" culture, as opposed to being a part of one of the subcultures or ethnic enclaves the city has traditionally been known for.

My family has lived here for generations, and the combination of living in new york and their heritage created a unique subculture only found in New York and no where else, a transplant on the other hand may have lived here for some years, but his whole way of viewing the world his whole attitude towards life has its roots somewhere else, and that is what creates such a fundamental difference in character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Clinton Hill, Brooklyn
383 posts, read 704,736 times
Reputation: 122
If your born and Rasied in NYC you are a real "New Yorker". If You are from Mount Vernon or Yonkers your considered a "New Yorker". If you've live in New York for 10 years or more you can be considered a "New Yorker". Thats the way i see it. Anyone agree or disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 08:00 AM
 
2,249 posts, read 4,007,736 times
Reputation: 1949
I don't consider myself a native New Yorker, since I did not grow up here.

But, I do consider myself a resident of New York. I think that's a distinction that everyone can agree with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 01:18 PM
 
110 posts, read 120,384 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvillian718 View Post
If your born and Rasied in NYC you are a real "New Yorker". If You are from Mount Vernon or Yonkers your considered a "New Yorker". If you've live in New York for 10 years or more you can be considered a "New Yorker". Thats the way i see it. Anyone agree or disagree?
The first 2 yeah but the second I disagree because that's like if I went and moved to texas moved there for 10 years and became "texan" even though I and my whole family had no roots in texas no cultural connection to the texan way of life and that would be easily seen by a texan. Same applies to a transpant who moves to manhattan and lives in the village for 10 years, him and his family would have no connection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Holmdel, NJ
17,234 posts, read 13,287,793 times
Reputation: 9780
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Okay I wont really get into this but it's pretty simple.

Native New Yorker - Born. Raised.
New Yorker - Resident. Paying NYC taxes

What's the big deal? When people say "Real" they mean native. If I grew up in London but was born in NY I can't say I'm a Native Londonite. I can claim the title Londoner, (or whatever they say, I'll find out when I move in the future!) but I wouldn't claim being a native because I'm not.

Furthermore it seems like a problem with other people rather than the people who live here. I really couldn't care less.

Was this good enough?
come on, clearly there is a negative connotation when someone calls some people real. i bet you in 99/100 times this is done the person saying "real" has an issue with the new yorkers that arent "real."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Clinton Hill, Brooklyn
383 posts, read 704,736 times
Reputation: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeSI View Post
The first 2 yeah but the second I disagree because that's like if I went and moved to texas moved there for 10 years and became "texan" even though I and my whole family had no roots in texas no cultural connection to the texan way of life and that would be easily seen by a texan. Same applies to a transpant who moves to manhattan and lives in the village for 10 years, him and his family would have no connection.
Your right! I think the word i was looking for was resident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 02:12 PM
 
6,046 posts, read 6,989,000 times
Reputation: 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by bn1 View Post
Hey StuddedLeather - here you say if you were born in NY but grew up (aka raised) in London then you can't say you're a Native Londonite. Would you say you're a Native New Yorker in this scenario? I only ask because in another thread you said this:



If you apply the above to your London scenario, you can't say you're a native Londoner OR a native New Yorker because you weren't born in London and weren't raised in New York.

But obviously if someone asks you where're from or a native of - I imagine you'd say a native of one city or the other - so which would you say? I only ask because this is probably the case for a lot of people in NJ and maybe CT as well. Born in NYC, raised in NJ (and know the subways). According to your London scenario, they can't say they're native Jerseyan since they're not born there. And some on C-D (like KONY) would say they can't say native New Yorker either because they moved away at too early of an age.

In the end everyone knows this is just a speculative question, but it'll be interesting to hear your opinion since your two examples seem to contradict each other.

In terms of the OP question - I'd say a real New Yorker is someone who lives in New York and fully adopts it as home. For example, I hear a lot of West Coasters who come and visit NYC or have just moved say it feels overwhelming or their senses are overstimulated. I guess when that feeling disappears and NYC has become their comfort zone - they're a real New Yorker regardless of where they came from.
Nuh uh- they gotta pay their dues. I was born and raised here and am still here. I'm a "real" NYer...some transplant isn't. Plain & simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Holmdel, NJ
17,234 posts, read 13,287,793 times
Reputation: 9780
the way i see it, the minute you move to new york you become a real new yorker. if you wish to be officially labeled a "real new yorker" please post up a couple of utility bills with your name on it and it will be official.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:22 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top