Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 06:21 PM

110 posts, read 219,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEgroover View Post
I have a complicated background and I would not say I am a NYer but OK I was born in the Dominican Republic but my father was from the BX as were his relatives (he is Puerto Rican). I lived in the DR until I was 2 and then came to the BX for one year. At 3 I moved with my mom to DC and lived there until I was 25. However, every summer (3 months) and then a lot of other breaks/weekends I would live with my dad in Morrisonia (teller ave. to be specific). I now have moved to teller ave. and live there but like I said I have friends from all over BK,BX and Queens. Maybe it is a generational also nobody I know talks about being a NYer in general so I dunno the only thing people talk about when it comes to that is wow there are a lot more white people then there ever used to be around these parts, that's about it.
Yeah well it is true among people from here we dont throw the "new yorker" label around much among ourselves, but since this is city-data and the topic at hand I am using it.

So what you have just said has confirmed what I have been saying from the beginning, you are not a NYer by your own admission, and you pretty much grew up outside most of your life, so why are you saying you disagree with me about an observation I have made living and growing up here for years? I am not debating the morality here, I understand if you don't like it when new yorkers call a pakistani a "foreigner" rather than consider them a part of them, but I am just pointing out a fact.

And for pointing it out I get people telling me I am "ignorant" and reveling in the fact that I am a "Supposed" "Dying Breed", ignoring the dozen or so other new york traditional ethnic groups that have similar feelings.

As I had originally said, non-new yorkers who come here like yourself, they have a completely different stereotype of what this place is supposed to be like, thats why they get shocked at the reality not matching up to the myth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 08:00 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,219 times
Serious LOL at George striking such a nerve with some of you....

Also I just want to point out an article I read a few weeks back. It was a short article and it didn't have much substance to it. But it referenced a recent poll conducted amongst dominicans in the bronx. It's findings showed that a vast majority of those polled, stated that they in no way want their kids to grow up considering themselves American.

Now I ask you, should those folks be considered new yorkers, if they don't even want to consider themselves american? This is in no way supposed to be racist or xenophobic. Just to show you that there is always another side to it.

Just some food for thought. I'll try and dig up the article later when I'm not on my phone.....

Old 01-03-2011, 08:07 PM

40 posts, read 61,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Serious LOL at George striking such a nerve with some of you....

Also I just want to point out an article I read a few weeks back. It was a short article and it didn't have much substance to it. But it referenced a recent poll conducted amongst dominicans in the bronx. It's findings showed that a vast majority of those polled, stated that they in no way want their kids to grow up considering themselves American.

Now I ask you, should those folks be considered new yorkers, if they don't even want to consider themselves american? This is in no way supposed to be racist or xenophobic. Just to show you that there is always another side to it.

Just some food for thought. I'll try and dig up the article later when I'm not on my phone.....
I doubt those results I would like to see the poll. What I can attest to is that Dominicans are proud of their roots and do not want their kids to forget where they are from. If you see a lot of Dominican kids born in NY some of them don't speak Spanish or speak it poorly and know nothing about the DR. A lot of times that angers the parents because they feel like their kids are not acknowledging their roots. However, I doubt they say that do not want "in any way their kids to consider themselves American." As I said I would like to see the article and the poll questions themselves.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:23 PM

I'll see if I can dig it up later. I will grant you that I don't recall seeing the questions, but the results they were speaking of did indeed say this to the best of my recollection. And I'm fairly certain this was NOT the conservative leaning NY post.....

Old 01-03-2011, 09:06 PM

Alright I found one link. It's not the one I recall reading. Granted this one is written in a Dominican paper, it shows that I was wrong. It's not the majority. It shows that 68% do want to consider them and their children American, and the rest do not. So I apologize, and admit I jumped the gun with my previous post.

That said, the individuals in the third that states otherwise are in no way new yorkers and honestly should get the **** out of our country. And I would say that about any group of people: dominican, russian, african, or italian.

And I also have to throw in there that the article I did read first, I recall the numbers being worse. So I don't know which one to believe. I'd try and find the other one right now, buts it's annoying me on the phone right now. Either way, it's bad stuff. ....

Here it is:

NY (http://www2.dominicantoday.com/dr/world/2010/12/3/37852/NYs-Dominicans-dont-want-to-be-Americans-study - broken link)

Old 01-03-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Alright I found one link. It's not the one I recall reading. Granted this one is written in a Dominican paper, it shows that I was wrong. It's not the majority. It shows that 68% do want to consider them and their children American, and the rest do not. So I apologize, and admit I jumped the gun with my previous post.

That said, the individuals in the third that states otherwise are in no way new yorkers and honestly should get the **** out of our country. And I would say that about any group of people: dominican, russian, african, or italian.

And I also have to throw in there that the article I did read first, I recall the numbers being worse. So I don't know which one to believe. I'd try and find the other one right now, buts it's annoying me on the phone right now. Either way, it's bad stuff. ....

Here it is:

NY (http://www2.dominicantoday.com/dr/world/2010/12/3/37852/NYs-Dominicans-dont-want-to-be-Americans-study - broken link)
Interesting article but like I said I would like to see the poll questions before rushing to judgement. For example if the question was do you want your child to consider themselves American or Dominican the answer means less than if the question was do you want your child to consider himself American. As you know these polls can be manipulated and the questions as well as the order of the questions can change the answers.

As to your point that if you do not want to be American get out, well I don't agree with that but I must say it is a notion felt by people all over the world. Many people back in the DR feel that way about Haitians and you see that sentiment all over the world so I am not going to get into that debate but you are not alone in feeling that way.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
As to your point that if you do not want to be American get out, well I don't agree with that but I must say it is a notion felt by people all over the world. Many people back in the DR feel that way about Haitians and you see that sentiment all over the world so I am not going to get into that debate but you are not alone in feeling that way.
Uhhhhh I would never debate you that anyone in their own country should feel that way about people who live, thrive off of, and use the services of said country, but don't want their children to show respect for and consider themselves part of the country. That is a given to me, 100%.

The only thing I would debate with you is why you do not feel that way....

Old 01-03-2011, 10:06 PM

NEGroover could you please answer the question I made in my last post??

Old 01-03-2011, 10:28 PM

@ available username - I think life is not black and white but rather gray and I think there are many reasons that people could feel that they did not want to have their children be American. Let me give you one example. A Dominican who comes to America to support their family back in the DR. They work 3 jobs, pay taxes, contribute to the local economy but feel excluded. They have had a tough time picking up the language and feel like they are not welcomed in the country. They then have a child and do not want their child to suffer like they did and are resentful towards Americans for how they have been treated. Yet at the same time their family in the DR is dependent on their increased income in the US and the person feels to much financial pressure to return home. So they stay in the US and build up a sense of hatred towards where they are and nostalgia towards where they came from. This happens all the time and I know plenty of people like this.

@ GeorgeSI - I didn't really see a question in your last post I saw it as just a statement saying that since I am not really a NYer that I would not know how those really from NY feel. I did not reply because I thought we are kind of at an impasse where no matter what I say it won't change your mind and you already know how I feel and that is that immigrants who come to NYC are part of what makes the city so special and to me are NYers.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
@ available username - I think life is not black and white but rather gray and I think there are many reasons that people could feel that they did not want to have their children be American. Let me give you one example. A Dominican who comes to America to support their family back in the DR. They work 3 jobs, pay taxes, contribute to the local economy but feel excluded. They have had a tough time picking up the language and feel like they are not welcomed in the country. They then have a child and do not want their child to suffer like they did and are resentful towards Americans for how they have been treated. Yet at the same time their family in the DR is dependent on their increased income in the US and the person feels to much financial pressure to return home. So they stay in the US and build up a sense of hatred towards where they are and nostalgia towards where they came from. This happens all the time and I know plenty of people like this.

@ GeorgeSI - I didn't really see a question in your last post I saw it as just a statement saying that since I am not really a NYer that I would not know how those really from NY feel. I did not reply because I thought we are kind of at an impasse where no matter what I say it won't change your mind and you already know how I feel and that is that immigrants who come to NYC are part of what makes the city so special and to me are NYers.

I was asking why in your first post you disagreed with my observation of the reality here as a new yorker, just to later admit you are not really from here? The question was more what motivated you pretend?

I understand you don't like the way people like me and the other new yorkers think, but you just made it seem in your first post that you were a new yorker and that I had a completely different viewpoint of the fact of life in this city than you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City