Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 12:55 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvillian718 View Post
Murder rate don't mean ****. Rates aint a accurate way to see how crazy and dangerous a city is. Cause LA murder rate low like NY but there are entire hoods in the city if l.a. that cops can't control. At all, and aint no southern city got any hoods as bad as the bad hoods in the chi, ny, or la. we shoot at news cameras live while police out. your not on that level in the south nowhere not even the n.o. and most of nyc murders happen in small pockets of the city. them small pockets have less people than entire southern cities, but more actual murders. i read in the news paper a few years ago that one hospital in brooklyn gets so many gun shot victims a day that the u.s. military uses it as real-time training for medics. what southern city is on that level? you seen that show they had about that other ny hospital in the bronx? every day somebody was shot and stabbed in that *****, what 1 southern hospital got that level of violence? up north period is way more wilder than the south. your towns is just so small that 1 extra murder would make your bull**** crime "rates" skyrocket.
This is some what true. During the end of the persian gulf war murder rate in nyc started to come down, why? Battlefield medic technology and things like gps which allows quicker response times to victim back to nearest treatment center.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:43 PM

288 posts, read 566,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
@ grigou, you are one of the most curious/hilarious posters on here... again as I've mentioned before it really is amazing how you criticize me so much (you're obsession kinda scares me...) about my posts having no substance meanwhile I post articles and sources on here so many different times but I can probably count on one hand the number of times you've actually said something objective with a source to back it up... and I'm probably being generous... you're posts in response to mine really hold no weight whatsoever and are nothing but a simple attempt to discredit an objective notion that doesn't support your agendas...
So accusing me of having an agenda (what agenda might be my next question but it's impossible to get a straight answer from you so I'll just drop it), making assumptions about my background and lifestyle, constantly using one example to prove apocalyptic long-term downward spirals in crime rates and police corruption is obejctive to you and a source for instructive discussion?

Now I know on what level I have to meet you. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Please proceed.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:25 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,212 times
So far this summer, the murder count for NYC has been a bit mild and definitely not at the level of last year. I wonder what made last year so different...

Looked at Gothamist and last night was a busy night especially for the Bronx. Harlem, Bed Stuy, SI and Far Rock has shootings but the Bronx was the main culprit with about 8 shootings reported. That brings to mind last year when there was about 14 shootings in 1 day in that borough and I believe 3 were killed...I could imagine those kind of incidents were typical in the early 90s.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:52 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,368,760 times
The summer has seemed kinda quiet to me...I think the expectation was substantial increase in crime/murder, but doesn't seem to have materialized yet. Maybe the flood of cops on the streets is having an effect, or maybe all the thugs are away for the summer in Atlanta and NC.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:13 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,132 times
During the month of may when the murder rate skyrocketed I heard alot of people talking about how the streets were getting too hot and they were gonna go visit their family down south and stuff like that... maybe there is truth to your second statement... (don't believe the first since cops have been flooding these high crime areas since the beginning of the year)...

one thing people are not factoring in though is that while the murder rate has gone down, felony assaults continue to rise which is the biggest indicator of crime to me... only difference between last year and this year is that this year has been way more violent overall just not producing the same amount of dead bodies thanks to our hospitals... but the numbers overall will show you that we are about to eclipse last year for overall crime and we've been on an increasing trend last few weeks...

as Sobroguy has said many times, people get caught up in the murder rate way too much... this number fluctuates from year to year and while I'll be the first to admit that in the month of may that was one of my biggest concerns, it was only because the felony assaults were equally as high as the murder rate... now, the felony assaults are still high, but the murder rate has slowed down... that just doesn't convince me that this year is tame... FWIW, my neighborhood at least this year has been very quiet... aside from some mexican crews arguing with kings in the park haven't seen anything this year... (as opposed to last year when gang fights started to happen on the regular from april to september)...

Old 08-05-2011, 10:56 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,288,537 times
Yall see Gothamist right now?? 9 shootings including 5 in the Bronx. Been seeing a lot of gun related incidents in the Bronx lately smh

Old 08-06-2011, 01:23 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,245,672 times
I earlier guessed the murder count in the 40 precinct to reach 19-21. But it looks now, thank god it ain't gonna reach those levels.

Soundview: http://gothamist.com/2011/03/20/poli...f_400-poun.php

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 08-06-2011 at 01:39 AM..

Old 08-06-2011, 08:36 PM

202 posts, read 686,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This is some what true. During the end of the persian gulf war murder rate in nyc started to come down, why? Battlefield medic technology and things like gps which allows quicker response times to victim back to nearest treatment center.
Yeah, I think they should measure safety by the number of shootings and stabbings, rather than by murders, because as medical technology advances people are more likely to survive.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:07 PM

Looking at a couple of sites, it seems not only the Bronx but Harlem has been very active this past week with a few murders and a good number of shootings:

Two Men Murdered in Fifth Avenue Housing Project - DNAinfo.com
Two Men Shot on 129th Street, Police Say - DNAinfo.com
Man Shot on Lenox Avenue - DNAinfo.com
Man Stabbed to Death in East Harlem - DNAinfo.com

The death of a Harlem woman found in her bloodied bathtub has been ruled a homicide, officials said yesterday.
The body of Ditrice Jones, 49, discovered at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in her West 137th Street building, was killed by blunt-impact injuries to her neck, according to the medical examiner.
Cops are questioning a male friend after a piece of his tongue was found at the scene.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
I earlier guessed the murder count in the 40 precinct to reach 19-21. But it looks now, thank god it ain't gonna reach those levels.

Soundview: Police Discover Remains Of 400-Pound Bronx Man In Duffel Bag: Gothamist
That article is from March, why you post that now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.