Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 11:03 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times

Advertisements

I'm glad that they posted that about the increased number of rapes never really giving us the full picture... there will always be women that are scared to come out because they knew there assailant whether it be a family or friend... that being said, I do think that there are also more women reporting it because of the reasons posted by the first article... so what all this really means is that unfortunately we really won't know if rapes within the city are increasing or not... nor should we formulate our own opinions and impose them on others to try and convince the public of anything else other than what we see first hand as well as what the numbers tell us... we can make our own opinions and judgment calls based on that...

Personally, I do feel that this year so far has been quieter than last year but only slightly around my way and Bushwick itself has had a slight increase in the overall crime rate (I live right next door to Bushwick) and burglaries have spiked so far...

Overall, I like the fact that we seem to be having a decrease in violent crime but i'm still not sure if that has more to do with the fact that it has been ice cold throughout the year and so not as many people are outside or not, so I'm still waiting for those may june july august months to really give me an idea if what we had been discussing about a new increasing trend was actually true or whether 2010 was like sobroguy said, just a blip on a continued decreasing trend...

Old 04-04-2011, 11:29 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
The economy is beginning to resoildify and that may be helping somewhat. Also, the census shows that alot of poorer residents are leaving for more suitable economic climates and maybe this is now beginning to show up in the crime statistics.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:31 PM

WAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY to early to be making bold statements like that especially since the numbers aren't that dramatically different overall...

Old 04-04-2011, 03:40 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
This is very positive news, and supports the trend of a decreasing crime rate. However, I think the bittterly cold temps and being buried in snow for 6 weeks had something to do with it also..but who knows.

In my nabe (Mott Haven) there is the largest police presence lately that I have ever seen, and this will no doubt maintain a lid on crime. And if you want to decrease the crime rate for NYC, you should concentrate your forces on the districts with the highest crime, so they finally got that through their skulls and it looks like it may be paying off. I have cops in pairs walking up and down my block on a regular basis now, which I have never, ever seen before...nevermind the cars, vans, undercovers, and unmarked cars circling constantly.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:04 PM

@ overdose crime slowed down after the first quarter... we were originally on pace for much higher numbers and it seemed as if the real rise in the crime rate was moreso towards the end of 09' on through april of 2010 after that the crime remained pretty steady which is why we had the increase... therefore we don't know if the opposite will happen as we get into the months where problems tend to happen more frequently since the weather allows for it...

This winter was bitter cold... not sure if that had an effect but we won't know until later on this year thats all im saying...

Old 04-04-2011, 05:11 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
@ overdose crime slowed down after the first quarter... we were originally on pace for much higher numbers and it seemed as if the real rise in the crime rate was moreso towards the end of 09' on through april of 2010 after that the crime remained pretty steady which is why we had the increase... therefore we don't know if the opposite will happen as we get into the months where problems tend to happen more frequently since the weather allows for it...

This winter was bitter cold... not sure if that had an effect but we won't know until later on this year thats all im saying...
You know whats funny, every BK North hood has report decreases except for 90th Precinct (Williamsburg). That was the most ironic part of the first article, the neighborhood that is the prime example of gentrification is one of the few experiencing upticks. That was a surprise for me personally.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:17 PM

Thats because people don't realize that even yuppytown Williamsburg isn't fully gentrified and burglaries are on the rise in that hood because the hood folk that are still there know that there neighbors have money... It's the same thing happening in Bushwick but to a lesser degree since the hipster movement has nearly stopped over there...

I think finally people are realizing how they were conned by real estate agents into buying into these crap neighborhoods and are moving out or staying low key...

Old 04-04-2011, 08:53 PM

810 posts, read 837,099 times
Crime seems to be correlated with the percentage of the black population of the city which saw a slight but still visible drop in the current census. They make up the majority of the poor. The large increase in immigrants should have brought up crime, but they seem to keep to themselves. Interestingly enough the subburbs are seeing upticks in violent offenses compared to the big cities paralleling the movement of blacks into suburban districts.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:18 PM

To a certain extent, but its also the increase of the spanish gangs giving competition to the Black gangs in the suburbs by nassau and suffolk county... if a neighborhood has just one main gang then its okay because there is generally no one to rival them however when MS started coming to NY in the mid 2000s they began moving to these areas and you saw an increase in the crime rate along with the increase in the spanish population in those suburban areas...

Old 04-05-2011, 01:25 PM

556 posts, read 1,445,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
To a certain extent, but its also the increase of the spanish gangs giving competition to the Black gangs in the suburbs by nassau and suffolk county... if a neighborhood has just one main gang then its okay because there is generally no one to rival them however when MS started coming to NY in the mid 2000s they began moving to these areas and you saw an increase in the crime rate along with the increase in the spanish population in those suburban areas...
MS moved in earlier than that..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City