U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 04-04-2011, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Ridgewood, NY
2,750 posts, read 3,261,126 times
Reputation: 1274
To a certain extent, but its also the increase of the spanish gangs giving competition to the Black gangs in the suburbs by nassau and suffolk county... if a neighborhood has just one main gang then its okay because there is generally no one to rival them however when MS started coming to NY in the mid 2000s they began moving to these areas and you saw an increase in the crime rate along with the increase in the spanish population in those suburban areas...

 
Old 04-05-2011, 01:25 PM
 
556 posts, read 830,375 times
Reputation: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
To a certain extent, but its also the increase of the spanish gangs giving competition to the Black gangs in the suburbs by nassau and suffolk county... if a neighborhood has just one main gang then its okay because there is generally no one to rival them however when MS started coming to NY in the mid 2000s they began moving to these areas and you saw an increase in the crime rate along with the increase in the spanish population in those suburban areas...
MS moved in earlier than that..
 
Old 04-05-2011, 05:06 PM
 
1 posts, read 948 times
Reputation: 10
Crime seems to be correlated with the percentage of the black population of the city which saw a slight but still visible drop in the current census. They make up the majority of the poor. The large increase in immigrants should have brought up crime, but they seem to keep to themselves. Interestingly enough the subburbs are seeing upticks in violent offenses compared to the big cities paralleling the movement of blacks into suburban districts.[/quote]

Please note that it is the percentage of poor who move into the areas. If we were in a Kentucky it would be a white poor population with an uptick in crime.
 
Old 04-07-2011, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
5,083 posts, read 11,601,204 times
Reputation: 1624
Just heard there was a shootout in my hood, University ave & W Fordham rd to be exact, and unfortunately I was told that two people lost their lives. It's the first shooting resulting in a death in University Heights in a couple of years, that I know of.
 
Old 04-08-2011, 05:40 AM
 
Location: Newark, NJ/NYC
1,203 posts, read 1,259,065 times
Reputation: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Just heard there was a shootout in my hood, University ave & W Fordham rd to be exact, and unfortunately I was told that two people lost their lives. It's the first shooting resulting in a death in University Heights in a couple of years, that I know of.
Three shot, two killed in Bronx barrage

Is this what you're talking about?
 
Old 04-08-2011, 07:04 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
5,083 posts, read 11,601,204 times
Reputation: 1624
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Three shot, two killed in Bronx barrage

Is this what you're talking about?
COREY PORTER: 2 DEAD, 1 INJURED IN A TRIPLE SHOOTING IN THE BRONX!

Yeah, triple shooting. Weird cause these things don't happen around here anymore, usually you see this in the south Bronx.
 
Old 04-08-2011, 09:12 AM
 
Location: South Bronx
1,198 posts, read 1,309,539 times
Reputation: 906
Don't remember hearing about this one...

Shooting at basketball game in Highbridge recreation center has Bronx neighborhood residents on edge
 
Old 04-11-2011, 06:16 PM
 
Location: Newark, NJ/NYC
1,203 posts, read 1,259,065 times
Reputation: 572
I just looked at Gothamist and it seems like people took advantage of the warm weather today especially in Bed Stuy where 4 shootings are listed. Damn, that's crazy.
 
Old 04-11-2011, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Ridgewood, NY
2,750 posts, read 3,261,126 times
Reputation: 1274
That's why it's still too early to tell how this year is going to pan out...

In other news, it appears as if there is some weight to this serial killer news in Long island
Serial Killer in Long Island May Have More Victims | ThirdAge

For more information channel 2 news is speaking on it right now
 
Old 04-12-2011, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Newark, NJ/NYC
1,203 posts, read 1,259,065 times
Reputation: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
That's why it's still too early to tell how this year is going to pan out...

In other news, it appears as if there is some weight to this serial killer news in Long island
Serial Killer in Long Island May Have More Victims | ThirdAge

For more information channel 2 news is speaking on it right now
A part of me wonder if it's only one killer or if there are others who happen to choose the same spot to dump bodies, it can happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top