U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-18-2011, 01:13 PM

8,752 posts, read 9,695,904 times

Advertisements

Now what does Bloomie have to do with this? Like Bloomberg has anything to do with this and it started under Bloomberg? Nonsense Bloomberg bashing as usual.

This is something that has been going on since cops first started handing out tickets..they don't ticket other cops, and their friends get their tickets "fixed." I am not saying it's ok, or that it should continue, but I can say it is usual human behavior and nothing shocking.

You never got into a club for free because you knew someone? This is no different...you know a cop or someone on the inside and you get the ticket "fixed." Just remember however, the same people that are "fixing" tickets are the same people who are "fixing" other things...which means there is little intregrity/honesty in the police force...which is the bigger problem and why it's a major issue.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:25 PM

5,109 posts, read 11,960,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
WOOOOWWWW @ supermario... We usually agree on most parts but what in the video made these kids look ghetto aside from what most would say which is that there black... those kids look like any regular kids from high school...

To be honest, I don't see the poverty level and ghetto look in any neighborhood since the early 2000s... Kids nowadays dress to impress and even the supposedly poorest person on the block you see with a blackberry and $250 sneakers... yea thats poverty all right... what that is, is mismanagement of money...
Cmon man...those black kids are a danger to society, you see how they talk? How they make light of the situation? Every conflict that I've had with black kids looked and acted like that. If you don't think they rob, assault, or hustle then I don't know what to tell you. All I know is if I run into a group like that, or if you, or if anyone, we're in trouble.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:07 AM

3 posts, read 2,631 times
Why haven't the NYPD Compstat figures been released this week? I can't get the recent data up on my screen. For the last Manhattan crime data, some information here Crimes and Complaints

Old 04-19-2011, 03:18 PM

2,754 posts, read 3,427,215 times
there's been alot of major crime this week... there probably making sure of the numbers before they post but i would be very surprised if we didn't hit at least 9 homicides this week possibly more, this among other things...

@ sobroguy we're not saying Bloomberg is telling these guys what to do but what we are saying is that these things seem to be happening more and more often under his administration... now the reasons why is debatable, but you're telling me that it is unequivocally without question that the mayor's push to bring these numbers down didn't have anything to do with this... read the full article, it wasn't just talking about tickets... it also spoke about what these tactics eventually led to... this is what we are getting at...

@ supermario, in the 80s and 90s I saw ghetto... I saw kids without shoes walking on the streets all the time... i saw ripped up jeans, kids broken up baggy shirts so that way they wouldn't have to worry about buying clothes so frequently, tons of kids and adults with permanent fire burns on their face from their apartments being burned down, frequent black eyes, cuts and bruises all over the body, etc. In the hood, you saw it all... Kids these days have no idea what ghetto looks like... every kid nowadays whether it be in Bed-stuy or UES has a blackberry, an iphone, 20 pairs of sneakers, and is up on all the latest fashion... they still live in the hood, but nowhere near the poverty level and ghetto level that it used to be...

On the other hand, what i do see is a new group of kids that are obsessed with talking and acting ghetto, when in reality, very few of them really are... I see kids like the ones in that video in my neighborhood all the time and I live in Ridgewood right by Cleveland... there's no doubt that some of these kids probably are struggling but if you have the money to buy a blackberry, have more than one pair of sneakers, and a full wardrobe, then i don't care how you try to look or talk you are not ghetto...

The ghettoes of today throughout the country for the most part, are nowhere near the ghettoes of the 70s to the 90s...

This is what used to be scary and what used to be considered normal everyday life for an average New Yorker between 1965-1995...

Brutal New York - 1965/95 - SkyscraperCity

If i start seeing this again then i'll worry about NYC going completely downhill again... Again at sobroguy believe me when I tell you I don't hate Bloomberg the way you think I do... I understand that he has done a good amount for this city and making it a much safer place than it used to be... that being said, this last term has been a complete mess and I think the fact that he lost the public's approval for the most part, has led him to take this "I don't give a sh** what you think, I'm gonna do things my way and screw all of you" attitude, and thats what frustrates me about him...

And even you have to agree that Dennis Walcott is a million times better than that lady who had no idea what she was doing in the first place (Cathy Black) and he should have been hired in the first place...

Old 04-20-2011, 12:10 PM

556 posts, read 863,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
Bed-Stuy keeping it real, this time a gang of female thugs assaulting an American Idol contestant with a padlock to the jaw. Everything except the viciousness of those "girls" was blamed for the attack.

Talent Show Attack: 5 Teens Charged In Brutal Attack Of Talent Show Rival Shacara McLaurin - WPIX
I was wondering this morning if Nicki Minaj's lyric in a popular song"Romans revenge"
"You liíl brag a lot, I beat you with a pad-a-lock" played a part, though when i was attacked on the train, one of the shemales did try to hit me with one LOL

Old 04-20-2011, 03:53 PM

302 posts, read 340,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
there's been alot of major crime this week... there probably making sure of the numbers before they post but i would be very surprised if we didn't hit at least 9 homicides this week possibly more, this among other things...

@ sobroguy we're not saying Bloomberg is telling these guys what to do but what we are saying is that these things seem to be happening more and more often under his administration... now the reasons why is debatable, but you're telling me that it is unequivocally without question that the mayor's push to bring these numbers down didn't have anything to do with this... read the full article, it wasn't just talking about tickets... it also spoke about what these tactics eventually led to... this is what we are getting at...

@ supermario, in the 80s and 90s I saw ghetto... I saw kids without shoes walking on the streets all the time... i saw ripped up jeans, kids broken up baggy shirts so that way they wouldn't have to worry about buying clothes so frequently, tons of kids and adults with permanent fire burns on their face from their apartments being burned down, frequent black eyes, cuts and bruises all over the body, etc. In the hood, you saw it all... Kids these days have no idea what ghetto looks like... every kid nowadays whether it be in Bed-stuy or UES has a blackberry, an iphone, 20 pairs of sneakers, and is up on all the latest fashion... they still live in the hood, but nowhere near the poverty level and ghetto level that it used to be...

On the other hand, what i do see is a new group of kids that are obsessed with talking and acting ghetto, when in reality, very few of them really are... I see kids like the ones in that video in my neighborhood all the time and I live in Ridgewood right by Cleveland... there's no doubt that some of these kids probably are struggling but if you have the money to buy a blackberry, have more than one pair of sneakers, and a full wardrobe, then i don't care how you try to look or talk you are not ghetto...

The ghettoes of today throughout the country for the most part, are nowhere near the ghettoes of the 70s to the 90s...

This is what used to be scary and what used to be considered normal everyday life for an average New Yorker between 1965-1995...

Brutal New York - 1965/95 - SkyscraperCity

If i start seeing this again then i'll worry about NYC going completely downhill again... Again at sobroguy believe me when I tell you I don't hate Bloomberg the way you think I do... I understand that he has done a good amount for this city and making it a much safer place than it used to be... that being said, this last term has been a complete mess and I think the fact that he lost the public's approval for the most part, has led him to take this "I don't give a sh** what you think, I'm gonna do things my way and screw all of you" attitude, and thats what frustrates me about him...

And even you have to agree that Dennis Walcott is a million times better than that lady who had no idea what she was doing in the first place (Cathy Black) and he should have been hired in the first place...
"Ghetto" Is an overused general term nowadays

Old 04-21-2011, 12:28 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,323,921 times
anon1, I have to agree that these past two weeks or so there has been an increase in crime. It's starting to seem like last year. Just read about another murder in the South Bx, an young mother who was an unintended target...sad but typical.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:47 PM

2,754 posts, read 3,427,215 times
yea i was actually surprised that it was only 8 murders between april 4th and april 10th... we'll see how legit the numbers are by these next two weeks, but crime has been really picking up in the bad neighborhoods as of late...

Old 04-22-2011, 08:24 AM

8,752 posts, read 9,695,904 times
Starting to seem like last year? Really? Do you guys even live in the areas that you speak so much about or do you just "visit" friends? This entire first quarter has, for the most part, been quiet, and substantially down versus last year, and looks more like prior record low years than last year.

The idea that a couple weeks seem busier therefore we should be worried is the usual nonsense. Crime will ebb and flow, so it may seem higher for a few weeks, but we already KNOW that it is down for the 1st quarter...so you choose to ignore that and then focus on a couple of weeks and say things are "really picking up"? Really? A reasonable person would say despite a seemingly active couple of weeks, it has really been quiet..and the numbers have proven that.

I think alot of you really get off on hype/scary stories....there can be nothing happening for a month, but the first thing that happens everyone piles on with "I told you it's crazy out there" and "it's scary" and "it's getting bad out there." All nonsense.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:22 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,323,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Starting to seem like last year? Really? Do you guys even live in the areas that you speak so much about or do you just "visit" friends? This entire first quarter has, for the most part, been quiet, and substantially down versus last year, and looks more like prior record low years than last year.

The idea that a couple weeks seem busier therefore we should be worried is the usual nonsense. Crime will ebb and flow, so it may seem higher for a few weeks, but we already KNOW that it is down for the 1st quarter...so you choose to ignore that and then focus on a couple of weeks and say things are "really picking up"? Really? A reasonable person would say despite a seemingly active couple of weeks, it has really been quiet..and the numbers have proven that.

I think alot of you really get off on hype/scary stories....there can be nothing happening for a month, but the first thing that happens everyone piles on with "I told you it's crazy out there" and "it's scary" and "it's getting bad out there." All nonsense.
What are you talking about? I and other posters commented how crime was lower in the first quarter of this year. These past 2 weeks are seeming like last year in that last year there was an increase in murders and shootings. SoBro Guy, this post was just hypocritical and inaccurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City