U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 04-22-2011, 08:59 AM
 
8,752 posts, read 8,621,339 times
Reputation: 4168
These past 2 weeks don't seem like anything...just the usual ebb and flow in crime..the crime rate continues to be decidedly downward, so I am not clear how you feel it is like last year? Because a lady got stabbed in the head with a pen on the train while arguing with a homeless dude about smoking? Some drug dealers killed other people involved in the drug trade? Nothing new or unusual, except that you hear less and less about these crimes...

 
Old 04-22-2011, 09:56 AM
 
6,628 posts, read 10,715,643 times
Reputation: 3770
This video of a Park Slope attack from March 20, 2011 is really disturbing
Video: Woman Narrowly Escapes Park Slope Attack: Gothamist
 
Old 04-22-2011, 09:59 AM
 
8,752 posts, read 8,621,339 times
Reputation: 4168
I saw that...it is no more disturbing than most other attacks in other neighborhoods though. Once in awhile even the "nice" areas have their problems, but it is few and far between. This makes news mostly because it is in the "nice" Park Slope, and not because there is anything particularly horrifying.
 
Old 04-22-2011, 10:03 AM
 
288 posts, read 280,517 times
Reputation: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I think alot of you really get off on hype/scary stories....there can be nothing happening for a month, but the first thing that happens everyone piles on with "I told you it's crazy out there" and "it's scary" and "it's getting bad out there." All nonsense.
Exactly right.
 
Old 04-22-2011, 10:30 AM
 
6,628 posts, read 10,715,643 times
Reputation: 3770
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I saw that...it is no more disturbing than most other attacks in other neighborhoods though. Once in awhile even the "nice" areas have their problems, but it is few and far between. This makes news mostly because it is in the "nice" Park Slope, and not because there is anything particularly horrifying.
It is disturbing because the video very clearly captures the woman's screams. I didn't say anything about it being disturbing because it happened in Park Slope. You are jumping to conclusions.

In my own experience in viewing surveillance video of attacks that end up on the news, I have seen very, very few that actually capture sound.
 
Old 04-22-2011, 10:33 AM
 
8,752 posts, read 8,621,339 times
Reputation: 4168
My comment was not meant to accuse you of saying it was disturbing because it happened in Park Slope necessarily, although some people may think so. I was just clarifying, and the screams do add something.
 
Old 04-22-2011, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Ridgewood, NY
2,734 posts, read 3,016,309 times
Reputation: 1255
@ sobroguy I just think you have this idea in your head that if someone posts it's hot out there you have to put in your same opinion every single time like we haven't heard it already... Just as njnyckid mentioned we didn't mention anything about the first quarter but rather these first two weeks... and no these are not neighborhoods that we visit sometimes for a friend, these are actually the neighborhoods we live in... There have been numerous shootouts in my neighborhood recently and on the border of Bushwick and Bed-stuy there was a double homicide though the 77th precinct were the ones who responded to the call...

Overall what it seems to be is that as soon as a brief ray of sunshine comes out, NYC becomes regular old NYC again and to be honest one of the main reasons why I think the numbers are slightly lower is because of the horrible weather we've had...

All you hear about on the streets when walking past the thugs is them saying how its been dead this year and the natural response is usually that its "brick outside" indicating the cold weather and then watch when it gets nice, it'll get hot again... Again not saying that this year will be higher or lower than last year and Im not talking about the first quarter but from what I've seen over the past two weeks, things do seem to be heating up on the streets...
 
Old 04-22-2011, 12:16 PM
 
8,752 posts, read 8,621,339 times
Reputation: 4168
Anon...all the rays of sunshines in the world have not made NYC "the regular old NYC again"...I could not disagree with you more. I agree that weather is a factor, but the trend over the past few years proves otherwise, "the regular old NYC" is gone, and it has changed. It has not changed equally, or for everyone in every community, but nonetheless, the NYC of the 90s and all those problems are night and day different.

That's not to say crime does not happen, or there are no drug dealers, but NYC is a different, safer place, partly because the population is older, there are less kids (which are a crime driver), we have become less violent overall as a society, there has been massive investment at all levels, crime AND quality of life issues are being tackled successfully, and city-life is popular again, attracting a diverse crowd. And with the recent attention and specific investments in lower income communities of color, coupled with more attention by police/community groups, I see no reason for crime to escalate substantially, barring any major catastrophe.
 
Old 04-22-2011, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Ridgewood, NY
2,734 posts, read 3,016,309 times
Reputation: 1255
Aside from the fact that we are in still in an economic depression... and thats the same comment you give us every single time, never fails... its like you have that comment saved and whenever someone posts a crime happening you paste it...

When I said regular old NYC i meant the NYC of last year not the NYC of the 90s... If we are going by what you said when you mentioned how 2009 was an anomoly then what I am saying is accurate... The numbers of the past two weeks were similar to 2010s weekly numbers, thats all im saying...

That being said, what you don't realize is that even though we are a less violent society overall, the youth continue to be just as violent as ever and are so proud of their violence that they even record it and post their videos on youtube and worldstarhiphop as well as other sites all the time... While I do agree with you with the fact that this is one of the reasons why some feel violence is increasing since all these incidences are in plain view for everyone to see, it also shows us a disturbing pattern about today's youths... despite the fact that the poverty level is nowhere near previous levels, the hiphop culture still permeates through these neighborhoods as well as even the more affluent neighborhoods of color such as Cambria heights, Laurelton, East Elmhurst, Rosedale, etc.

All these neighborhoods should all be solid middle class neighborhoods but unfortunately these areas still have their fare share of crime because of the culture that to this day still affects people of color... Until that gets resolved, unfortunately, Black areas at least in NYC will always have these problems...
 
Old 04-22-2011, 12:59 PM
 
813 posts, read 267,224 times
Reputation: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
That's not to say crime does not happen, or there are no drug dealers, but NYC is a different, safer place, partly because the population is older, there are less kids (which are a crime driver), we have become less violent overall as a society, there has been massive investment at all levels, crime AND quality of life issues are being tackled successfully, and city-life is popular again, attracting a diverse crowd. And with the recent attention and specific investments in lower income communities of color, coupled with more attention by police/community groups, I see no reason for crime to escalate substantially, barring any major catastrophe.
NYC is made up of 5 boroughs. It is too simplistic to paint the whole city with one brush. There are many spots left where it might as well be 1976 because of the mayhem that goes on daily. I would say a lot of progress was made. Some areas improved, however others still remain as dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
That being said, what you don't realize is that even though we are a less violent society overall, the youth continue to be just as violent as ever and are so proud of their violence that they even record it and post their videos on youtube and worldstarhiphop as well as other sites all the time... While I do agree with you with the fact that this is one of the reasons why some feel violence is increasing since all these incidences are in plain view for everyone to see, it also shows us a disturbing pattern about today's youths... despite the fact that the poverty level is nowhere near previous levels, the hiphop culture still permeates through these neighborhoods as well as even the more affluent neighborhoods of color such as Cambria heights, Laurelton, East Elmhurst, Rosedale, etc.
That is true, there has been a surge of video postings online of thugs committing violence. Makes me wonder if its poverty that leads them to that sort of behavior, as academics like to say. Or whether that criminal elements have taken over poor communities. Instead of using the technology and web access to make positive things they use it to show off what kind of scum they are.

Last edited by AllenDullesMJ12; 04-22-2011 at 01:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top