Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 08:19 AM

288 posts, read 566,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
By the time the murder rate was sky high and the trains were covered in graffiti it was too late.
Now I've seen it all on this forum. Murders and Graffiti being put on the same level.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:26 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Shizzles, if you read my comment you will note that I am sad for the family..but should I be sad for the drug dealer for dying when he is spending his time poisoning our kids, and holding our communities hostage through fear and violence, and recruiting other kids to that lifestyle? The answer is no..and I don't make apologies for it. Life ain't fair and it is harsh..trust me I know.

Secondly, if all we were talking about were "too many nieghborhoods have too much drama" I would be ecstatic...but we are not talking about drama..we are talking about crime. My attitude is not polyanna, but I counter the senseless "we are going into WW3" rhetoric, which apparently you have no problem with...just me and my "let's put things in perspective, understand what's happening behind the scary headlines, and realize who are most often the perpetrators/victims."

Only then can you have an honest conversation about crime..not when you report scary headlines and claim the city is sinking, not when you tell people you will be the victim of crime if you walk down a street, and not when you claim an entire community is "bad/unsafe" when the reality is it is 5% of the population holding 95% of the community hostage.

You are welcome to counter my posts, but using the all too common argument of "I have a friend who was robbed and that never happened before therefore the city is getting more dangerous" is nonsense and no different than "Man shot on street" therefore city is more dangerous today.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:44 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,875,865 times
Marine Park Shooting: Man Wounds Teens Who Refuse To Leave Stoop | Sheepshead Bay News Blog

These kids learned a lesson.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:33 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Secondly, if all we were talking about were "too many nieghborhoods have too much drama" I would be ecstatic...but we are not talking about drama..we are talking about crime. My attitude is not polyanna, but I counter the senseless "we are going into WW3" rhetoric, which apparently you have no problem with...just me and my "let's put things in perspective, understand what's happening behind the scary headlines, and realize who are most often the perpetrators/victims."

You are welcome to counter my posts, but using the all too common argument of "I have a friend who was robbed and that never happened before therefore the city is getting more dangerous" is nonsense and no different than "Man shot on street" therefore city is more dangerous today.
First off, nobody on here is claiming the first paragraph and never has... again blatant exaggerations will not help confirm your point... What people are saying is that violent crime is on the rise over the past couple of years which you continually disregard and then on top of that choose to disregard the blatant lack of legitimate statistics that apparently even miss the big ones that got a ton of press such as the brighton beach shootout... what is your answer to that? that's what i want to know... you keep on claiming on here that this is the only guide we have to judge how safe we are but like I mentioned in my previous comment, if we can't trust these statistics with major crime events such as the one that happened on that day on the beach... how can we trust it at all for crimes that go under the radar...

Not every crime is posted on gothamist, or post, or daily news or times... we trust the cops to make those decisions and apparently they have a vested interest in keeping the figures as low as possible to bring more people into this city as much as the mayor... and that is my issue... dishonesty is at the forefront of convincing people we are the safest big city instead of simply trusting the fact that no matter what we will be the safest big city because of our population and we have no need to falsify, lie or cover-up any of the crimes that occur...

And by the way, I agree wholeheartedly with the second paragraph I highlighted and all those stories without proof should be considered irrelevant... but I guarantee you that if compstat would have been around in the 70s and 80s the numbers wouldn't be anywhere near as high as they were because compstat has made it much simpler to do what is being done today... This is not fear-mongering, this is not exaggerations or claiming we are reverting to our old days... this is simply saying that we can handle a couple of crimes not getting counted as it happens with every city, but when crimes like the brighton beach incident go missing, we have a problem, and trust with these statistics has to go right out the window...

Old 06-21-2011, 01:28 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Regarding Brighton Beach...it is stupid kids doing what stupid kids do. They were doing it in 1965 with knives and bats and on a much larger scale than what you are seeing today...and they were of all colors. Nothing new here...why do you think it is new or unique or worth commenting on? I cannot confirm or deny that what happened in Brighton Beach is being excluded, purposely or otherwise, out of the stats. It could be that it hasn't made it in the stats yet as there are oftentimes delays. I do not believe the stats are bible, and there is no doubt they are fudged. Again..no surprises there...there is some dishonesty in the process..what process doesn't have dishonesty? Stope sweating the stats already, they are a guide and nothing more. The Mayor may push it as bible, but so what? He also believes NYers voted him in for a 3rd term, when the reality is he was voted in because there was no other option.

However I do believe we are the safest big city in the country..but that does not mean we are crime free or "safe". Understand the difference?

Old 06-21-2011, 02:23 PM

Why do you continue to address other issues to support your point instead of simply focusing on the one that I address... All I spoke about was not about how the area was a safe area before and now it's a dump... but rather about how this shootout in the beach where 5 people were shot received alot of publicity and there was already a confirmed death that same day so it's not like it took awhile to process that...

My biggest issue is exactly what I stated which you go out of your way to pretty up your response without actually answering my question... Jeez, I'd get a less political response from a politician... Okay, just so you understand what I am asking... If something we all know and confirmed happened wasn't in the statistics for the 61st precinct and the 8 murders on that deadly weekend weren't counted... how can we know for sure that we really are the safest city?

Once again, do I doubt that we are? No, because frankly it is statistically impossible to not be the safest city in the country having at least 4 million more people than the next major city... We'd really have to be a hellhole overall to not be the safest city seeing as how even in comparison with the 90s we weren't one of the top major dangerous cities either because of our population...

So once again, what I'm saying is that there is no need to blatantly screw up these statistics where we can't even look at them because they are so far off when we will always be statistically the safest big city in the country...

Now if you cannot answer my question as to why would they feel the need to do such a thing then please don't pretend to understand my question by going all over the place with your answer...

Old 06-21-2011, 02:42 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Anon you were a kid in the 70's? WTF dude, I tought you were an asian kid living in Ridgewood.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:46 PM

okay...

Old 06-21-2011, 02:49 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
That is definitely true. I guess I just don't understand how something that got as much press as that shootout could not be registered in the crime stats... I mean to me it's really worrysome that if something like that isn't posted, how many other events do we not know about it, since we use it as our guide... I was waiting last week to see the 8 murders shown in that bloody weekend and yet I only saw four. This week the brighton beach shootout has 1 death and five others injured and yet no murders recorded for the 61st precinct in neither week...

How much more blatant do you have to be to disregard these crimes that received so much negative publicity...
As far as the brighton beach shootout, that's in the 60th precinct. It's recorded in there. I do agree with the rest of the post though.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:53 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
okay...
Quote:
Believe it or not I didn't live in a bubble in the 70s, 80s or 90s
You give the impression of a teen, no offense. Did not know you were in your 40's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City