Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 03:56 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
I can sort of understand what you're saying. With the exception of street dance, hip hop culture can kiss me where the sun don't shine. Most of it I mean. I know that probably sounds horrid, sorry. I'm used to a certain type of fashion and basically I only want to see hip hop fashion on stage. I know that probably sounds awful but it's how I feel. I hate low pants and underwear in public view and thankfully it will be a snowy day in hell before that stuff is allowed in law firms or on Wall Street ..... However, maybe if you watched 15 minutes of ABDC, you'd see how positive and uplifting it is. It really is. Every race participates in ABDC. And keep in mind these comments are coming from me who already said hip hop is not my cup of tea. Even the "dance battles" are captivating and family-friendly. Well, most of the time if they keep the dancing clean and not sexually suggestive. Had it not been for street dance, things like ABDC would not exist and Paula Abdul wouldn't be a household name. I have a feeling the foul gangsta subculture that we all know and hate developed outside of hip hop. Although there's some overlap in the 2 subcultures (e.g. killings involving rival record labels), I have a feeling gangsta-ism is a pathogen/virus in the body of hip hop. Hip hop came first and gangsta-ism exploited it. The exact origin of the gangsta virus is open for debate but if we're blessed, it'll be the first element to fade into the history books and never rear its ugly head again. The sooner the better.
You might be right but unfortunately the virus was widespread and very destructive.I think we will be dealing with it's ugly effects for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 04:09 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I hope this thread is a joke because Hip Hop might be one of the WORST things that has happened in generations.It certainly hasn't had any positive influence at all.It glorifies violence and ghetto culture and has resulted in 2 lost generations of people who aspire to nothing but staying in the ghetto either as gang bangers or rappers.What a waste of lives.I hope the era is drawing to a close.

Yes,I said it.
Back in its early days hip hop was great.. I'm talking about the 80's. Hip Hop was created with African Americans and Puerto Ricans in the South Bronx. It was created to stop the spreading of gangs. That is what its main purpose.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:17 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
.... Hip Hop was created with African Americans and Puerto Ricans in the South Bronx. It was created to stop the spreading of gangs. That is what its main purpose.
How ironic.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:28 PM

40 posts, read 61,686 times
Quote:
I hope this thread is a joke because Hip Hop might be one of the WORST things that has happened in generations.It certainly hasn't had any positive influence at all.It glorifies violence and ghetto culture and has resulted in 2 lost generations of people who aspire to nothing but staying in the ghetto either as gang bangers or rappers.What a waste of lives.I hope the era is drawing to a close.

Yes,I said it.
The same thing has been said about pretty much every musical genre and generational trend. Flapper music promoted alcohol use and the attendance of speak easys. Elvis's music was sexually suggestive and promoted teenage relations and early pregnancies. The 60s music like the Grateful Dead only led to heavy drug use and hippies who did not want to work or go to war. Punk rock support anarchy and people who were anti-government. Heavy Metal promoted mosh pits and violence and tragedies like Columbine. Alternative rock leads to people being sissies .

Old 01-05-2011, 04:34 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
Quote:
How ironic.
Yeah, it's sad. Still, I will always cherry-pick/single-out what appeals to me in any culture I encounter, even if my overall opinion on the culture is aversion or mild disdain or whatever. For example there are country-western songs that I find wonderful, but I'm far from a county fan.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:27 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post

Graffiti is art. It could be vandelism, but It's art nonetheless.
Uh, not could be. It is a crime. And as I understand it, it started in ancient Italy, not in New York. Maybe the fat letters that appear to be in motion came from here if that's what you mean. I think cave art from France is art. Plus it was done by the people who lived in the cave and essentially owned the cave. Not by outsiders, which is vandalism. There's no way I (speaking only for myself) could ever be in favor of wholesale approval of hip hop culture.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:20 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
All the flaws people are pointing out about hip hop really has nothing to do with the culture itself, but the people. Hip hop, when it as created was all positive and an outlet for youth to express their creativity. Hip hop started off as nothing more than a distinct new york city youth culture, now that culture can be seen worldwide from texas to paris. Nyers can atleast be proud of that., Its the only form of music this city created on its own

Old 01-09-2011, 12:26 PM

961 posts, read 2,464,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Back in its early days hip hop was great.. I'm talking about the 80's. Hip Hop was created with African Americans and Puerto Ricans in the South Bronx. It was created to stop the spreading of gangs. That is what its main purpose.

What we understand as hip-hop, especially the East Coast hip hop scene from its inception on into the early 90's, alot of people outside of the hip-hop culture wouldn't grasp. As a matter of fact, hip-hop now is so transformed and dilouted (did I spell that right?) from its original form I don't even think the under 25 crowd today really understands it, they don't know about A Tribe Called Quest, Public Enemy, Gangstarr etc... In fact they shun that era and don't even want to know. Hip-hop now is so much the antithesis of what it used to be.

As far as it being the best artform to come out of NY, thats a bold claim for any individual artform when you consider NY is practically the mecca and birthplace of so many American artforms, this hip hop junkie will have to say no, it is not.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:22 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:

Yes,I said it.
Well in all honesty, it didn't start off that way. It was about partying, fun, and social issues (DJ Kool Herc, Grandmaster Flash, Sugar Hill Gang). The "gangsta" rap genre was actually popularized in the West Coast and unfortunately made its way over here. Sad. But that's for another thread. I digress. Mea culpa.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-09-2011, 01:45 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
As much as pure Hip-hop is almost non-existent today, I am of the opinion that Hip-hop is the most creative movement in NYC. No other form of music represents NYC as much as Hip-hop has. Hip-hop put New York on the map outside of commerce.

Yes, I said it. Outside of commerce, Hip-hop put NYC on the map as far as culture goes.
I think hip-hop enhanced NY's reputation for tolerance. Face it, the music represents a celebration of ignorance. Its rise and prominence in NY only underlines the greatness of the city to continue to flourish as a world power in spite of hip-hop not because of it.

In terms of representing NYC, classical music has always and will continue to represent the cultural aspects of that great city that matter to me and many others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City