Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 10:43 PM

17 posts, read 69,201 times

Advertisements

I'm going to visit a friend in New York next month and I want to do some serious shopping. They're in a WAY higher income bracket than I am and I know shopping in their area of the city (Upper East Side) isn't going to be ideal for me. Any suggestions of an area south of there? Be specific with neighborhood names - I've never been to NYC before and my girlfriend is not the shopping type so I'm sure I'm wingin this one on my own. Thanks!

Last edited by k_fenton; 01-06-2011 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: More details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 07:17 PM

5,508 posts, read 8,690,875 times
First stop: Try Century 21 down across from Ground Zero for serious fashion at lower prices If you're really adventurous take your Upper East Side friends down to the Lower East Side and walk Orchard street, north of Delancey. Sometimes there you can end up bargaining the price of your purchase down from already far-less-than-Bloomingdale's level. You can also pick up some cut-rate designer schmattes at Loehmanns on the Upper West Side (73rd and Bdway), or wander the many shops along Broadway between 8th and Canal, the edge of Soho.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:39 AM

963 posts, read 2,294,064 times
If you are looking for brand names and better clothing, do not pass up the thrift / consignment shops. You can find the best labels for next to nothing, especially in the thrift shops run by the major hospital charities.

I LOVE Thrift shops in NYC for high fashion and top designer labels for practically giveaway prices. Here is a personal favorite:
CancerCare :: Thrift Shop

In that neighborhood (83rd St & 3rd) you will find about three more thrift shops no more than a block away. Make the rounds. This is where the rich people give away stuff. You will find the best quality clothes here. I purchased an Zegna suit (never less than $1200 new) in mint condition for $45 at a shop in this area. Best suit I ever owned. Many times the top stores like Bloomingdales and Saks will donate their brand new end of season stuff to these thrift shops. This is high end shopping on a beer budget! This is where smart professionals who need to look great without throwing away money go to shop. You will see penny pinching lawyers and doctors shopping next to cash tight college students.

Conways on 33rd St. & 7th Avenue, across the street from Macy's is a great place for low-priced casual wear for both men and women. No designer names, but good basic gear, much of it made in China. In fact, 34th St. between 8th and Madison is good for bargain hunters. However, nothing beats the thrift shops for quality however. Spend the money you save on other things!

Old 01-08-2011, 12:51 PM

43,303 posts, read 43,968,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post

Conways on 33rd St. & 7th Avenue, across the street from Macy's is a great place for low-priced casual wear for both men and women. No designer names, but good basic gear, much of it made in China. In fact, 34th St. between 8th and Madison is good for bargain hunters. However, nothing beats the thrift shops for quality however. Spend the money you save on other things!
You also have JCPenney's at the Manhattan Mall which is right near Conways & Macy's.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:06 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,098,013 times
There are a lot of cheap & trendy stores on Broadway in SoHo.

There are a lot of awesome consignment stores on the Upper East Side where you can buy a pair of twice worn Manolos or Louboutins for $100ish. There are also less expensive boutiques along 3rd and 2nd Avenues on the Upper East Side, too- cut clothes and nowhere as expensive as Hermes and Barneys on Madison Ave.

If you're coming in January, don't discredit checking out Bloomingdale's, Saks, and Bergdorf Goodman for REALLY good deals on fall/winter clothes. 75% off. Barneys famed warehouse sale may be going on, too, while you're here.

Lastly, check nymag.com's shopping section for sample sale notices.

Century 21 and Loehman's are the big "discount" outlets in the city.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:01 AM

17 posts, read 69,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
There are a lot of cheap & trendy stores on Broadway in SoHo.

There are a lot of awesome consignment stores on the Upper East Side where you can buy a pair of twice worn Manolos or Louboutins for $100ish. There are also less expensive boutiques along 3rd and 2nd Avenues on the Upper East Side, too- cut clothes and nowhere as expensive as Hermes and Barneys on Madison Ave.

If you're coming in January, don't discredit checking out Bloomingdale's, Saks, and Bergdorf Goodman for REALLY good deals on fall/winter clothes. 75% off. Barneys famed warehouse sale may be going on, too, while you're here.

Lastly, check nymag.com's shopping section for sample sale notices.

Century 21 and Loehman's are the big "discount" outlets in the city.

I will be in town the first two weeks of February. And I love sales. Great suggestions everyone! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: