Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:34 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

NYT: 40% Abortion Rate in City Prom

Click and read the link above. I know this is a very touchy subjec especially for progressive independent women and the religious right, but damn that number is too high. What do you guys and gals think?

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 01-07-2011 at 12:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCdood View Post
Sorry the link isn't working for me. Is this New York City, or New York State?
It's nyc.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:03 AM

29 posts, read 72,630 times
Ok sorry for being annoying. I just read a few articles (one of them being the POST) and I have to say I'm a bit shocked. How are so many women not able to get access and use contraceptives? I mean I'm all for womens right to abortion, but lets not go around using it so easily. Condoms, after-morning pills, THE pill, and more methods than I care to think about are avaliable. There are programs in the city that give this stuff out (sometimes for FREE). Abortion should be considered when theres NO OTHER OPTIONS...and even when they're no other options it shouldn't be taken lightly.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:52 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times
Default planned parenthood started in Brooklyn 1916

NY was where the eugenics movement first found a beachhead. The famous New York Rockefeller family has always been their chief financier. Planned Parenthood which started out as the birth control league opened its first "clinic" in Brooklyn in 1916. It was always targeted for poor communities. It has always been about selective breeding and culling undesirables. It is no wonder -with all the money and marketing behind abortion centered in NY- that the black abortion rate is 60% while the whole state is 40%. Chilling numbers all around.

More black babies are culled in the womb then carried to term in new York. Funny that rappers and loudmouth media pawns ignore this. The useful idiots in the women movement help market abortion as a "freedom" but eugenics, birth control and abortion are not and have never been about freedom.

Margeret Sanger (founder of planned parenthood) would be very pleased that New York women are killing 40% of babies before they are carried to term. Here is the founder of planned parent in her own words;

Quote:
On blacks, immigrants and indigents:
"...human weeds,' 'reckless breeders,' 'spawning... human beings who never should have been born." Margaret Sanger, Pivot of Civilization, referring to immigrants and poor people

On sterilization & racial purification:
Sanger believed that, for the purpose of racial "purification," couples should be rewarded who chose sterilization. Birth Control in America, The Career of Margaret Sanger, by David Kennedy, p. 117, quoting a 1923 Sanger speech.

On the right of married couples to bear children:
Couples should be required to submit applications to have a child, she wrote in her "Plan for Peace." Birth Control Review, April 1932

On the purpose of birth control:
The purpose in promoting birth control was "to create a race of thoroughbreds," she wrote in the Birth Control Review, Nov. 1921 (p. 2)

On the rights of the handicapped and mentally ill, and racial minorities:
"More children from the fit, less from the unfit -- that is the chief aim of birth control." Birth Control Review, May 1919, p. 12

On the extermination of blacks:
"We do not want word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population," she said, "if it ever occurs to any of their more rebellious members." Woman's Body, Woman's Right: A Social History of Birth Control in America, by Linda Gordon

Last edited by samyn on the green; 01-07-2011 at 04:10 AM..

Old 01-07-2011, 05:29 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times
Margaret Sanger also thought that masturbation was dangerous. She was a nutcase.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:32 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
As we continue to devalue life, abortions will grow.

Euthanasia is around the corner.

God help us.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:15 AM

29 posts, read 72,630 times
This is a sticky subject. While I do believe women have a right to choose, I do think abortion is wrong...I do realize Guliani had this same stance...I held these beliefs before hearing of his stance.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:30 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
If we had a culture that supported life as opposed to just birth, perhaps there would be fewer abortions.
Few women have paid maternity leave. Daycare costs are sky-high.

Where are the social services to support 40% more births?

Old 01-07-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
If we had a culture that supported life as opposed to just birth, perhaps there would be fewer abortions.
Few women have paid maternity leave. Daycare costs are sky-high.

Where are the social services to support 40% more births?
Good Question. Ask Bloomberg.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:25 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
i suspect this is impacted by NYC being a place where relatively few are starting families. When they are having kids, its in hospitals in LI, NJ, etc. But millions of women not having kids. So even if most of them use birth control, there would be a disproportionate number of abortions relative to births.

Also, I doubt that Margaret Sanger, who wanted to empower women to use birth control, would be happy with a high abortion rate. The most effective way to reduce abortion rates is to enable usage of birth control. To use this thread for an attack on birth control, using what cherry picked and/or questionable quotes does not seem appropriate.

her actual views on abortion

Sanger wrote, "While there are cases where even the law recognizes an abortion as justifiable if recommended by a physician, I assert that the hundreds of thousands of abortions performed in America each year are a disgrace to civilization."[33]

in her 1938 autobiography, Sanger notes that her 1916 opposition to abortion was based on the taking of life: "To each group we explained what contraception was; that abortion was the wrong way—no matter how early it was performed it was taking life; that contraception was the better way, the safer way—it took a little time, a little trouble, but was well worth while in the long run, because life had not yet begun."[35]

In a 1916 edition of Family Limitation, Sanger advised women douche with boric acid and to take quinine to prevent implantation. She wrote further, "No one can doubt that there are times when an abortion is justifiable but they will become unnecessary when care is taken to prevent conception. This is the only cure for abortions."[36]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City