Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 10:11 PM

961 posts, read 2,456,684 times

Advertisements

I've been to both cities and what I noticed is that NYC and Chicago create the young black professionals, but they move to those cities. If you been there you know the vast majority of them are transplants from New York and to a lesser extent Chicago. Thats not to say Buppies aren't here. Harlem has a strong presence as does various sections of Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 10:51 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,335,304 times
all though Harlem is always tagged with white professionals or yuppies w/e it still has plenty of black professionals. i saw an article on this like 2 years ago maybe.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:45 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,667,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I really think there aren't any upper middle class black ghetto's in NY because people here feel freer to live wherever they want and it's usually in the same neighborhoods as everyone else.One of my Dr's is black and he lives on Beekman Place.His wife is high up in the NYC Heath and Hospitals.That says a lot .
There are a lot more black professionals in NYC than in Atlanta and DC combined.They just don't necessarily confine themselves to neighborhoods where everyone says "OH,that's where all the black professionals live."
I've never heard of an upper middle class ghetto.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:57 PM

9,239 posts, read 23,975,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
I've never heard of an upper middle class ghetto.
It was meant it sort of tongue in cheek obviously.I look at any area that is occupied overwhelmingly by any single group as a ghetto.I call Woodlawn a ghetto too, even though it is hardly an economically disadvantaged area.It's an Irish ghetto.Chelsea is a gay ghetto.

I'm not sure but I think the origins of the term might be closer to my definition.I don't think the term has always had the economic connotations that most people ascribe to it today.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:31 PM

33,394 posts, read 46,819,654 times
Quote:
It was meant it sort of tongue in cheek obviously.I look at any area that is occupied overwhelmingly by any single group as a ghetto.I call Woodlawn a ghetto too, even though it is hardly an economically disadvantaged area.It's an Irish ghetto.Chelsea is a gay ghetto.

I'm not sure but I think the origins of the term might be closer to my definition.I don't think the term has always had the economic connotations that most people ascribe to it today.
Correct. The term "ghetto" originated in Venice, Italy and was originally used to define an area of the city that was dominated by one racial or ethnic group. In the instance of Venice, it was used to describe an area of the city that was heavily populated by the Jewish.

I am not sure when the term became to be associated with an area that had poverty. My guess would be either sometime in the 18th century, in association with the now defunct Manhattan neighborhood of Five Points, or in the latter half of the 19th century, in association with the tenement-infested Lower East Side.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-09-2011, 01:25 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,667,120 times
Quote:

No, it hasn't always had the connotations that it does today. Jewish areas have historically been referred to as "ghettos" for a long time. Though I thought you were using it in that way like you did in another thread, which is why I was like, "wait, what?"

Old 06-23-2012, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,841 times
Hi, I am a young single professional black women looking for a great church, that is spirit filled and youthful. Can anyone recommend one in NYC?

Old 06-23-2012, 11:02 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,711,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30ashanti View Post
Hi, I am a young single professional black women looking for a great church, that is spirit filled and youthful. Can anyone recommend one in NYC?
Check out:
Brooklyn Tabernacle- www.brooklyntaberacle.org
Grammy Award winning choir, solid teaching, strong Young Adults Ministry

Times Square Church- Times Square Church | Carter Conlon Senior Pastor, David Wilkerson Founding Pastor
Lots of young professional from different walks of life. The 10AM service is more tradition, the 3PM service has more of a youthful vibe (the Youth Choir leads that service). I haven't been to the 6PM service, though. Great teaching, solid YA Ministry too.

Allen Cathedral- The Greater Allen A.M.E. Cathedral of New York - Home
Lots of young black professionals, though the church errs to the more traditional side. I haven't been to the youth 11:15AM service, though. You listed "spirit filled", you'll probably get that mostly here.

Christian Cultural Center- Home (CHRISTIAN CULTURAL CENTER)
This is probably "THE black professional's church." The service is very modern and intellectual, but I personally found the teaching to be a bit shallow at times. It also may not offer you the "spirit filled" environment you're looking for.

If you're looking for a smaller church, try out..

Changing Lives Christian Center- Changing Lives Christian Center
Lots of young black professionals, solid teaching, definitely spirit filled. Its a bit difficult to reach by subway, though.

Hope that helps!

Old 07-08-2012, 07:16 AM

2 posts, read 4,841 times
Default Churches

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:23 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,936,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30ashanti View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions.
I know its kind of odd. Do you mind becoming a catholic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City