Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2011, 03:57 PM

11 posts, read 25,329 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the Bronx in the Eastchester section by Eastchester & Boston Rd. I'm going to look at a space tomorrow that is literally a block and a half away from the 219th St/White Plains Rd train station for the 2/5 trains in the Bx. It's not far from where I am - but like we all know...a couple blocks can make all the difference. The building is literally facing the Bx River Parkway & the river. The obvious benefits right now is that it's closer to the train than where I am now and it's off the 2 line which for the most part runs much more consistently than the 5 train extension to Dyre Ave (which is the train I'm dealing with now).

I know a lot of people feel very negatively about the Bronx, but essentially what I want to know is are people constantly hanging on the corners, hanging in the buildings hallways (instead of IN their apartments). Just generally are there people hanging around always up to no good once the sun comes down?

That's what I'm dealing with now because I live in Eastchester Heights and even though the place should be fine (because the apartments on their own are fine, we have FiOS, etc.) management does nothing to keep people from hanging, so it's a real turn off from living here. Basically, I just want to live somewhere where the neighborhood is pretty quiet and where the people stay IN THEIR HOMES and not hang in the hallways or in front of the building all night long. It's intimidating to come home at 11pm if I stay out a bit late and have to pass through a group of 10 to 15 big guys who hang in the hallway/stairwell.

I don't need people to tell me sensationalism about how horrible the Bronx is, but someone who lives in that general area who can speak to the actual neighborhood situation. Also, I don't have a problem living around minorities (I'm one myself) - so don't cite that as a reason for why I shouldn't live in the neighborhood.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 04:20 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
I'm not one who is negative about The Bronx but I'm not crazy about White Plains Road up there.It feels fine to me up to Allerton and Burke but then it seems to get worse the further North you go,especially North of Gun Hill Road.Hookers,dealers,etc are active.There are some decent pockets up there but in general it's not a great area.

Things are much,much better further South around Allerton ,Pelham Parkway and Morris Park and Van Nest.That's where I'd look if I were you.It's very peaceful .

Old 01-12-2011, 04:24 PM

11 posts, read 25,329 times
Bluedog you're not negative! I've read your posts and you pretty much have the set areas that you prefer. But some people act like they're trying to create the next big sensational news story when you mention the Bronx to them. :-/

Old 01-12-2011, 05:50 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Maybe this doesn't help, but a 14 year old kid was shot and killed yesterday right at the corner of East 219th Street and White Plains Road. I don't live in the area, but I have been there enough to know that its definitely not a good area. However, the neighborhood is a little better west of White Plains Road. The two main things that make it a bad area is the drug activity from the Jamaicans and the Bloods from Edenwald Houses.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City