Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 01:03 PM

57 posts, read 196,624 times

Advertisements

After over a year of unemployment, one of my best friends just called me from Antwerp where he was able to land a job on a crude oil tanker at really short notice. He only had a minute on his card, but he told me that his first voyage is taking him to NYC and that he will be here in about 10 days. Yay!

We got cut off before I could ask him for the shipping company and the tanker's name, but I'm wondering if anyone on this forum knows whether there is a designated spot in the NYC port for oil tankers?

Also, he mentioned that he would only be in the port for a few hours, so I'm wondering if the port is accessible for visitors or what I would have to do to gain access. Due to homeland security, I'm thinking I might not be able to get access at all, but before bothering the PATH, I thought I'd ask here. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 01:39 PM

756 posts, read 2,278,645 times
The Red Hook Marine Terminal, maybe? There's also the New York Container Terminal and the Port Elizabeth/Newark terminal.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:32 PM

551 posts, read 1,575,337 times
More than likely, it is in NJ. There are transfer stations within the city, but mostly for barges transferring refined products. An international tanker probably could only dock at the Elizabeth, NJ port.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:07 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogita Ante Scribis View Post
After over a year of unemployment, one of my best friends just called me from Antwerp where he was able to land a job on a crude oil tanker at really short notice. He only had a minute on his card, but he told me that his first voyage is taking him to NYC and that he will be here in about 10 days. Yay!

We got cut off before I could ask him for the shipping company and the tanker's name, but I'm wondering if anyone on this forum knows whether there is a designated spot in the NYC port for oil tankers?

Also, he mentioned that he would only be in the port for a few hours, so I'm wondering if the port is accessible for visitors or what I would have to do to gain access. Due to homeland security, I'm thinking I might not be able to get access at all, but before bothering the PATH, I thought I'd ask here. Thanks!
This sounds suspicious.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This sounds suspicious.
Which part?

Old 01-18-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
Port Elizabeth/Newark terminal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
An international tanker probably could only dock at the Elizabeth, NJ port.
Thank you, I think you are right, it is not NYC. I looked up the previous port arrivals and there was never a crude oil tanker among them - actually, all crude oil tankers seem to be docking in Houston and Baton Rouge, with smaller ones in Philadelphia. I'll have to wait for another phone call to see what the story is. Thank you, though!

Old 01-21-2011, 04:53 PM

281 posts, read 1,237,321 times
If it's legit it could be in Kill Van Kull in Staten Island.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctovt View Post
If it's legit it could be in Kill Van Kull in Staten Island.
Thanks again, everyone. I have since talked to my friend's dad and now have the name of the vessel, and it's indeed a crude oil tanker (looks small, though); apparently it does stop in New York City (http://www.flickr.com/photos/11606523@N06/2064201445 - broken link) once in a while (or at least did in 2006). According to Marinetraffic they are heading to Baton Rouge, though, not NYC. I'll just wait and see if I hear from him.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:13 PM

Just to close the loop and for future reference: those who said it would likely be in NJ were absolutely correct: even though the destination was listed as "NYC" (and still is), they made their only two discharge stops in Bayonne (New Hook Rd area) and in Port Reading (Cliff Rd area).

To get on board, I emailed the master my personal information and he forwarded it to the agent who said he would arrange for someone to pick me up at the gate once I got there; however, I ended up not taking advantage of that because the master allowed my friend to take a 24-hour shore leave.

I did not know this: all crew members - even if they had no intention of going from board - had to obtain C-1/D visas before getting on the tanker, and U.S. immigration went on board before they docked and issued individual short-term disembarking permits; my friend had to leave his passport on board, though.

Anyway, in a few hours they are leaving for North Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City