Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 10:59 AM

591 posts, read 925,405 times

Advertisements

Well my trip is up and running and all i need to do is get the flights and i am sorted.

I will be staying in the Chelsea Savoy Hotel. Is this hotel good to stay in? I was going to do the hostel thing but for $99 (£60) a night i thought why not.

My trip will be scheduled as best i can and how i will try and get it done. It leaves me alot of room to maneuver and do other things so im looking forward to it. What will i expect though from the trip, i.e New Yorkers, the sites and the experience as a whole?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 11:13 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
Have you been here before? When using a yellow taxi cab there's a little top light indicating one of 3 things:

(1) If the top light's on, that means the driver's available.
(2) If the light's off, that means passengers are inside. Don't hail those.
(3) If the light is what I call "110 percent" lit, it means the driver is off duty, not taking passengers and is probably heading back to the cab lot. If "110 percent" on, the top light will look wider than normal. Furthermore it will appear brighter at night. Don't hail these either. Furthermore, the full light will illuminate the part that actually says "OFF DUTY". It is noticeable during the day but much more noticeable at night. Again, do not hail these. They are not available.

Hailing a taxi is simple. Just stick out your arm and the driver will position the passenger side door in front of you.

Last edited by grimace8; 01-18-2011 at 11:23 AM..

Old 01-18-2011, 01:03 PM

No not been before not so really sure what im in for. My sister went last year and had a brilliant time so im hoping i will as well.

Thanks for the info. Nothing like what taxis are here. Do they try and rip you off? Do they have a meter as well?

Old 01-18-2011, 01:11 PM

Lots of taxi drivers here seem to be from the Middle East or Ghana. I have not had any ripoff experiences and there are meters. Most are polite and pleasant in my opinion or maybe I'm just lucky. Will you try taking the subway?

Old 01-18-2011, 01:21 PM

I think so, I'll get the metro pass as I hear it is cheap for the week so I think I may do.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:25 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times
More tourists???
Dammit....

Old 01-18-2011, 01:50 PM

900 posts, read 2,371,654 times
Now, now Kingfish that's not the way to treat a guest. lol

Matt, yes some taxi drivers will try to rip you off especially when you're from out of town and especially those airport taxi drivers.

Fares just went up again and it's been awhile since I've gotten a taxi to and from the airport (LGA) so I'm not sure of today's cost but I know it will be at least $50.00. You're probably flying into JFK right? Someone here could probably post about how much it will cost. The buses (if you feel like waiting) into Manhattan aren't that bad and cost around $22.00. They drop you off either at Park Ave. and 42nd St. (rich side) or Port Authority 42nd St. (sort of sleazy side but somewhat safe b/c heavy traffic -- some vagrants hang out there). From either of these places you can get a taxi to your hotel.

I hope you have a wonderful time here.

Oh how I wish there was such a thing as home switch with people in other countries. I want to go to London and Paris one day.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:57 PM

Cheers luvnyc I will take enough cash to cover the fares but the subway and buses look the better option.

Kingfish apologies for intruding, maybe next time you will live in a less tourist area where nothing happens ad there is nothing to see or do, such as death valley or algeria.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Matt View Post
the subway and buses look the better option.
Many NYC subway stations have one entrance for one direction while having another entrance (across the street typically) for the other direction. a/k/a separate entrances. If you see a station sign saying "________ only" (usually in white letters) then you need to ask yourself "Is this the direction I need?" before you enter. For the larger stations, e.g., Union Square, Times Square, Grand Central, etc. you can pretty much use any entrance, then worry about direction once you're down below. But it's still a good habit to read the signs even for the large stations.

You can transfer to a NYC bus for free with your Metrocard as long as the time lapse between subway swipe and bus swipe is 2 hours or less. Here are your other options for Metrocard: http://www.mta.info/metrocard/ (Avoid the options designed for us locals/working stiffs!) For the Unlimited Ride Metrocard, you need to wait 18 minutes between each use. See http://www.mta.info/metrocard/termsunltd.htm This is the "pass" you mentioned in post #5.

Last edited by grimace8; 01-18-2011 at 02:19 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 02:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
You could also take the AirTrain to Jamaica and then take the E train to 23rd st near your hotel. That would be the cheapest way, $7-$8, I think, but a bit slower than a bus or cab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City