Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:49 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times

Advertisements

Anyone who has been following my drama knows I live in a coop owned by a perfectionist. Well tomorrow he is coming over to inspect so he can bring a relator in at a future date. Why he has to inspect tomorrow is beyond me, couldn't he just ask me to have the apartment neat for when the relator came. He is looking to sell the unit. The only thing is my lease isn't up until August. If he is showing the place is he allowed to bring people in whenever he wants even if I'm not home. I don't think I would feel comfortable with random strangers being around my belongings and it could be a long inconvenient 8 months if I have to make my life around appointment. I will just be starting a job in April and I don't want to use all of my days off right away because I have to be there. I would almost rather break my lease and move out if this is how it's going to be.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 10:04 PM

267 posts, read 1,033,656 times
No.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:10 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,469,796 times
Of course they can! However, he does have to give you 'reasonable notice' (24 hours notice). He can't just barge in any time he wants.

Also, if you don't want him showing the apartment when you're not home, you better put it in writing. Tell him the hours/days that are convenient for you and tell him to work around those hours. Make it reasonable ---nothing like "thursday evening between 6pm and 7:15pm" Give him one weekend day and 2 evenings during the week. Tell him you do NOT want people in your place, around your belongings when you are not there. Put it all IN WRITING!!!!!

If he has any problems with this, ask him (in writing) for an early out on your lease (in writing!)

Old 01-20-2011, 10:33 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Lets make believe this is a house. When a realtor shows a house, the residents are not there. And like a house the realtor is responsible for securing the home while showing it. Thus they would prefer you not being there. That being said it is your responsiblilty to secure your valuables and keep the apartment in a clean and tidy condition. If not, he can 24 hour you until you are misrable. So go with the flow.

Here's some reading mat'l

Rent Stabilization Code (http://www.metcouncil.net/factsheets/rsc.html#s2524.1 - broken link)

Old 01-20-2011, 10:36 PM

979 posts, read 4,456,896 times
Ohiogirl, really? He has the right to show the apartment to potential buyers etc. You have the right to prevent him from entering without you being there. You also have the inalienable legal right to refuse access until a court orders you to do so. The police will be on your side until such time the LL produces an order from the court forcing you to allow access. This could take months. However this is a non evictionable breaking of a lease clause. If you have the nerve to do this I guarantee it will bring tears to his eyes.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:23 PM

979 posts, read 4,456,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Lets make believe this is a house. When a realtor shows a house, the residents are not there. And like a house the realtor is responsible for securing the home while showing it. Thus they would prefer you not being there. That being said it is your responsiblilty to secure your valuables and keep the apartment in a clean and tidy condition. If not, he can 24 hour you until you are misrable. So go with the flow.

Rent Stabilization Code (http://www.metcouncil.net/factsheets/rsc.html#s2524.1 - broken link)
Seriously? Where to begin. Well it's not a house and it's not a stabilized apartment. The realtor in this case is not acting on behalf of the resident. It is unlikley Ohiogirl will even no who the realtor is let alone if he cares about "securing" the apartment.
Quote:
That being said it is your responsiblilty to secure your valuables and keep the apartment in a clean and tidy condition.
It is not your responsibility legal or otherwise to secure or otherwise change your living conditions within your own apartment. Please define, legally, "tidy".
OP can refuse 24 hour requests for entry without explanation and hold LL to the letter of the law. "Written requests only will be considered". Believe me when it comes to showing an apartment at lease end the tenant has more ability to be the *******.

I can't believe you can't say *******.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:53 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post

But in this case the resident is not the owner.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:25 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Have you started looking for a new apartment yet ? Just start the process of getting out so you do it methodically at your own pace.

What does the lease say about showing ? If there is no "show clause" in the lease you can resist but it's up to you not to be pushed around.I'd be out looking for a new place this weekend either way.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:20 AM

756 posts, read 2,279,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
What does the lease say about showing ? If there is no "show clause" in the lease you can resist but it's up to you not to be pushed around.I'd be out looking for a new place this weekend either way.
This. My lease says that the apartment can be shown a certain amount of time before my lease ends. If yours says something similar, you just need to buck up and let him show the apartment.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:45 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
I have been look at other places a little. The girls next to me at my internship are apartment shopping and I took down the name of their broker.

This is just getting really irritating that I am having "cleanliness" checks. It's gotten to the point where I don't even like to cook because I am afraid the stove is going to get dirty and I am going to get yelled at. It's an apartment, not a museum. After the whole crocs incident with my downstairs neighbor I wouldn't mind moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: