U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2011, 09:54 PM
 
1,259 posts, read 1,670,024 times
Reputation: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
You're thinking of FreshDirect.
the problem with Freshdirect is the prices and how much they charge for the same product that you can find cheaper online or in another store in the area..

like my peanut butter i like where i can get it cheaper online or going to the store that in city and buying it through there online store or amazon for 6 pack for $25.oo dollars ..but if i buy it through them it $10.oo a jar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-25-2011, 08:29 AM
 
Location: East Village
755 posts, read 1,283,153 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
the problem with Freshdirect is the prices and how much they charge for the same product that you can find cheaper online or in another store in the area..

like my peanut butter i like where i can get it cheaper online or going to the store that in city and buying it through there online store or amazon for 6 pack for $25.oo dollars ..but if i buy it through them it $10.oo a jar
Actually, PB&Co. peanut butter is $3.99 on FreshDirect: FreshDirect

The problem with Amazon's six-packs, at least for me and I imagine many other NYers, is that a) I have no use for five other jars of PB, and b) I have no place room to put five other jars of PB. There are just two people in my household (including me), so it would probably take us a year to go through that much PB. That negates the savings for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2011, 12:12 PM
 
1,259 posts, read 1,670,024 times
Reputation: 544
the dark chocolate peanut butter packs squeeze packs is $9.99 and since i like the jar better and i can go to the store to get the flavors i like from them instead of online ..also i looked at diff things on the website that i might buy but amazon is still a good deal for me on some of the products i like and at times i can not find the items or product in the local store in my area ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2011, 11:18 AM
 
Location: No Sleep Til Brooklyn
1,413 posts, read 3,292,048 times
Reputation: 567
During the last big snow, I didn't feel like trekking all the way to Whole Foods or Trader Joe's and stopped in at my local Gristedes. I will not make that mistake again. A box of cereal that costs $3.89 at WF was $5.69 at my Washington Heights Gristedes. I'm ashamed to admit how much I paid for some fruit there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2011, 12:28 PM
 
Location: East Village
755 posts, read 1,283,153 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
During the last big snow, I didn't feel like trekking all the way to Whole Foods or Trader Joe's and stopped in at my local Gristedes. I will not make that mistake again. A box of cereal that costs $3.89 at WF was $5.69 at my Washington Heights Gristedes. I'm ashamed to admit how much I paid for some fruit there.
I hate Gristedes. Overpriced and dirty stores, in my experiences. I do like D'Agostinos quite a bit though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2011, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Queens THE REAL international city
2,081 posts, read 2,966,066 times
Reputation: 2072
Quote:
Originally Posted by monetlily View Post
1.) Where are the regular grocery stores in Manhattan - the ones with a wide selection and good prices. (NOT CVS, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Morton Williams, etc.) That's right - I'm looking for cheap groceries in NYC - don't laugh. I was just in a Morton Willilams and couldn't believe that all the groceries there, like grains and frozen goods were marked up 30-100% compared to another city...especially since NYers get fresh produce from NJ next door!

2) Big box stores/mass merchandisers? I know there's a Target in Harlem. Is it safe to go there via public transit? Where can you do just simple one-stop shopping for cheap groceries, housewares, electronics, etc.? I read an old thread here, and I know that NYers hate the idea of big box stores, but you have no idea how much easier life would be with them - less time and money spent on products and transportation = huge savings for stuff you actually you want to shill out a lot of $ for.
Maybe you would have to travel OUTSIDE of Manhattan for them, however its not impossible. I believe there's a C-Town or Fine Fare in 2nd Ave on the L.E.S near alphabet city. Over here in the Bronx and Queens, you can find local stores like C-Town, Fine Fare, Pathmark or regular bodegas very commonly. Don't forget Brooklyn as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2011, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Queens THE REAL international city
2,081 posts, read 2,966,066 times
Reputation: 2072
By the way, I'm sure if a Wal-Mart opens up in NYC, all the people who say they don't want it around or can't make it will be shopping there at least a few times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2011, 02:45 PM
 
5,539 posts, read 1,014,518 times
Reputation: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
A box of cereal that costs $3.89 at WF was $5.69 at my Washington Heights Gristedes.
While we're on the topic of cereal...

Why is a box of cereal so much more expensive here in NYC? I pay $7 for a box of Kellogg's or General Mills cereal (e.g. Cheerios, Rice Krispies, etc.) in Queens (not even in Manhattan)! All the grocery stores I've been to (C-Town, Trade Fair, etc.) in Queens have the same price for a box of cereal: around $7. That's outrageous! The exact same box of cereal costs around $2 or $3 just about anywhere else. Also, yogurt is much more expensive here in NYC than anywhere else. I've lived in NYC for several years, so I'm used to just about everything being overpriced, but... What's the deal with the outrageous cereal prices here??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2011, 05:07 PM
 
Location: East Village
755 posts, read 1,283,153 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photography View Post
While we're on the topic of cereal...

Why is a box of cereal so much more expensive here in NYC? I pay $7 for a box of Kellogg's or General Mills cereal (e.g. Cheerios, Rice Krispies, etc.) in Queens (not even in Manhattan)! All the grocery stores I've been to (C-Town, Trade Fair, etc.) in Queens have the same price for a box of cereal: around $7. That's outrageous! The exact same box of cereal costs around $2 or $3 just about anywhere else. Also, yogurt is much more expensive here in NYC than anywhere else. I've lived in NYC for several years, so I'm used to just about everything being overpriced, but... What's the deal with the outrageous cereal prices here??
Agreed, no clue why. Everything is more expensive, but the disparity between cereal prices is particularly ridiculous. I guess they figure that NYers aren't going to give up their cereal, so they can charge whatever they like? (Love or hate FreshDirect, their cereal prices are definitely the lowest I've found.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2011, 08:19 PM
 
1,259 posts, read 1,670,024 times
Reputation: 544
have you tried going through Amazon for shopping or soe of the things that you need .. i shop at the website for a some of the basic items that i want ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top