Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:23 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
This is a rant. Tell me weather this is typical New York behavior or the act of ill mannered repulsive people. This all happened in one trip from Westchester Square to the Simpson st. station.. I took the BX4 a very busy and crowded bus. The ride went well until we got to Parkchester. A woman sitting in the "lone" seats was getting off the next stop but she got out of her seat early so an older woman could take it. A man around his 30's already seating in the "sideways" seats saw the woman getting up, rushed to block the older woman from seating there and took the seat. I know these are prime seats but is this kind of behavior necessary?

The next incident happened at Elder Ave. The bus was pretty crowded with only a few seats in the "hood" section in the back. A man see a woman with a few bags standing, like a gentleman he gets up to give an empty window seat to the woman. What the woman does was sit in his seat and puts her bags on the empty window seat. Being a gentleman he just looked and nodded his head and stood for the rest of the ride. Why are some people so self absorbed and care so little for their fellow man?

I've taken the N6 of the LI bus and people at the very busy Jamaica stops always stand in an orderly line to get on the bus. At every NYC bus stop it's always a mad rush to get on the bus. Many times I've seen people not even allow riders to get off the bus and the driver has even yelled at passenger to wait for the handicapped person to board the bus first. I've heard people grumble when this they see a handicapped person get on the bus first.

What is wrong with some New Yorkers?
You just described what happened to me today in a gym in North Carolina. I live in a very small town, so I am not identifying the place because it was the person that did the rude thing. I finished one exercise machine and cleaned it as we are supposed to. I then went to a machine that had no one on it and a man rushed over and explained to me that he still had another set to do and acted as if he expected me to give him the machine. My thoughts were that he was the rudest person I had witnessed lately. I am 65 years old and he was no where near the machine or I would not have approached it in the first place. I had my hand on the side of the machine in order to sit in the seat. He put his hand on the machine after me and tried to take the machine.

I told him that no one was at the machine when I started to use it and basically gave the man a look that let him know he had pushed a little too far. He was no gentleman and I wondered if he was maybe a little slow. He was a little weird and I thought later that maybe I should have let him use the machine. I wonder if maybe he could be dangerous.

I have also noticed people letting doors slam on you when you are behind them. That didn't used to happen to an older person. I have had huge teens knock past me in a very rude way. I don't think it is just New Yorker's that have a problem not knowing any manners. It is just the "me first" generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 12:27 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPersianJewGurL View Post
I'm not racist or anything and I agree that NYers r tuff but let's be real, most of the people who behave like this and seem to have been raised with absolutely no manners usually tend to be Young disadvantaged black guys. They are the usual offenders and behave like everyones an enemy and can be hostile when you ask them to move over and not take up 2 sears! I'm not blaming anyone because we dont know what their home life is but i just find it sad and very troubling.
All the bad behavior on public transit I witness have been from ethnics, both men and women, young and older. However I'm not convinced that they have a market on it. We just do a better job of hiding our bad behavior.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:57 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
I was responding to comments you said about the suburbs. Now you want to change it? You are the one that said it is even worse in the suburbs. So you brought that subject up. How often do you take suburban transit?

My worse experience on LI bus was on the N40 which rides from Mineola to Freeport. Anyone who knows the area will agree that this bus runs through the worse towns in Nassau county, Hempstead, Uniondale, Roosevelt and N. Freeport. At the Hempstead terminal a man tries to bring a full size shopping cart from a supermarket onto the bus. The Female bus driver got out of her seat and told him to not even think about it. He took his groceries out of the cart and got on the bus. I thought "oh no, this is going to be one horrible ride." The man was loud and abrasive and 5 mins. into the ride he starts making sexual and profane comments. A woman yells at him and said' I got kids here. They don't need to hear that mess. He was silent for the rest of the trip. If something like that happpened on a NYC bus.That bus driver and that woman would have been dead.

I was told on this board to ignore people who sneak on the back door of the bus because a bus driver was attacked when he stood up against someone taking a free ride.

I suggest you take back your comments that it's even worse in the suburbs unless you have experienced it. For me, I have not.
If that happened on a NYC bus there would be no story. If a man tried to board a bus with a shopping cart he would be told to f off and the bus would've left. End of story.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
If that happened on a NYC bus there would be no story. If a man tried to board a bus with a shopping cart he would be told to f off and the bus would've left. End of story.
I agree the man was a little out there . However the point is that in New York they allow bad behavior to run unchecked or will solve problems with more bad behavior (your way of handling that situation is a perfect example of using bad behavior to deal with bad behavior).. From my observation of NY suburbs people take more aggresive means to prevent it from happening.

Two examples I've noticed. Now this is something I see on many residential streets in the Bronx. I always have to look down while walking to avoid walking in dog feces. People do not clean up after their dogs. I saw this problem in Soundview and I see it in Pelham Bay. I had a week assignment on Terrace Ave in Hempstead, a ghetto street with several tenement buildings no dog crap anywhere along the pedestrian streets.

On Suffolk bus on several trips I have witness riders picking up litter or asking fellow riders if they need an empty cup thrown away because there is a litter basket at their stop. On both NYC buses and subways I have frequently seen people spit on the floors of the car or bus. I saw one man even spit on the window of a subway car.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:47 AM

110 posts, read 219,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeltCrystal View Post

To answer your question, yes I was and still am surprised by the culture shock. I know NYC is full of immigrants but I think that if they want to come to America they would make some effort to assimilate to our culture.
The reason for this is that New York has for years not been a part of mainstream American culture. My family lived in an area where there was almost only Italians for generation after generation and there was no "Our Culture" in New York outside of our neighborhood. There was only a multitude of different cultures living in different districts in relative segregation from one another. Because they immigrated in patterns in a way where they settled with others in their own ethnic group.

Only in recent years the influx of Middle American transplants in Manhattan and Northern Brooklyn have introduced the more generic "American Culture" to New York.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I agree the man was a little out there . However the point is that in New York they allow bad behavior to run unchecked or will solve problems with more bad behavior (your way of handling that situation is a perfect example of using bad behavior to deal with bad behavior).. From my observation of NY suburbs people take more aggresive means to prevent it from happening.

Two examples I've noticed. Now this is something I see on many residential streets in the Bronx. I always have to look down while walking to avoid walking in dog feces. People do not clean up after their dogs. I saw this problem in Soundview and I see it in Pelham Bay. I had a week assignment on Terrace Ave in Hempstead, a ghetto street with several tenement buildings no dog crap anywhere along the pedestrian streets.

On Suffolk bus on several trips I have witness riders picking up litter or asking fellow riders if they need an empty cup thrown away because there is a litter basket at their stop. On both NYC buses and subways I have frequently seen people spit on the floors of the car or bus. I saw one man even spit on the window of a subway car.
Where the hell do you ride these trains? New Lotts or Morrisania or something? And again in NYC its more about the neighborhoods, the general rule is if the train/bus route doesn't go through any hood or Manhattan it is much cleaner.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Where the hell do you ride these trains? New Lotts or Morrisania or something? And again in NYC its more about the neighborhoods, the general rule is if the train/bus route doesn't go through any hood or Manhattan it is much cleaner.
My train ride is usually the 2, 4, 5 or 6 from midtown through the Bronx up to Pelham Bay Park. I depend on ny transit because I refuse to ever park my car in the city. Too much of a hassle finding a legal spot. The last time I brought my car in the city and parked it on the UES I was rewarded with a broken window.

BTW, your logic doesn't make sense. How clean can these cars be with the exception of the R and 7 trains they all travel through "hoods" before getting into Manhattan. I've watched them wash down the cars at Pelham Bay Park by the time it ends up at 125 st.(chicken bones station) it's a mess.

Although, I have not seen it, one poster said he saw a person take a dump at one of the Bay Ridge stations on the R train. It wouldn't surprise me if it was true. I've seen men urinating at night at the 96 st. 6 train station.

Last edited by 1nevets; 01-25-2011 at 08:26 AM..

Old 01-25-2011, 08:20 AM

527 posts, read 1,019,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Congratulations, you have been driving your car, polluting our environment and contributing to the Earth's accelerated destruction, and wasting lost of money in the process. Thank God indeed!

You know Sobro- You think you really know what the hell you ever talk about dont you? dont like that I own a car? too bad... by the way I live 8 blocks from my job- so THANK GOD INDEED

Last edited by jackinyc; 01-25-2011 at 08:59 AM..

Old 01-25-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinyc View Post
You know Sobro- You think you really know what the hell you ever talk about dont you? dont like that I own a car? too bad? by the way I live 8 blocks from my job- so THANK GOD INDEED
Don't mind Sobro he's just an angry person but we love him anyway.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
My train ride is usually the 2, 4, 5 or 6 from midtown through the Bronx up to Pelham Bay Park. I depend on ny transit because I refuse to ever park my car in the city. Too much of a hassle finding a legal spot. The last time I brought my car in the city and parked it on the UES I was rewarded with a broken window.

BTW, your logic doesn't make sense. How clean can these cars be with the exception of the R and 7 trains they all travel through "hoods" before getting into Manhattan. I've watched them wash down the cars at Pelham Bay Park by the time it ends up at 125 st.(chicken bones station) it's a mess.

Although, I have not seen it, one poster said he saw a person take a dump at one of the Bay Ridge stations on the R train. It wouldn't surprise me if it was true. I've seen men urinating at night at the 96 st. 6 train station.
Next time take the F or Q train start at Coney Island and work your way up. Heck, even do it during the morning rush hour thats even better. I ride the Q/B everyday to work and it is always clean and most of the time spotless with not even a gum wrapper lying around. The only times these trains are not clean all the way to dt Brooklyn is when the B does not get cleaned when it comes back from the Bronx from the trip before (this is during the day) and when the Q gets some passangers at Stillwell avenue stop. By the way, the 2 is one of the worst lines in the whole NYC metro... I think thats the line that still uses those old pre-war trains....

Last edited by Gantz; 01-25-2011 at 09:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City