U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 01:00 PM

5 posts, read 8,507 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My cousin and I are hoping to move to New York from Ireland at the end of July. We have been granted year long J1 visas provided we get work related to the courses we have just graduated from. I have just graduated from a Masters in English poetry and have a degree in English. My cousin has a qualification in special needs but the visa won’t allow her to work directly with people who have special needs. Therefore we're wondering how plentiful work would be for us over there in related fields?
As well as this we are wondering how long it might take for us to get work? In other words we’re trying to work out how much savings we should have going over. We lived together in college on an extremely low budget and are willing to share a room. We don’t mind where we live as long as it’s relatively safe. So how much would you suggest having saved?
Also if anyone thinks there are no employment opportunities in New York for us and the city will just swallow up our savings feel free to break the news. We were also thinking of Boston too if anyone thinks this would be a better option?
Advice greatly appreciated, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 02:03 PM

8,476 posts, read 20,306,146 times
You might be better off in Boston.It's a more hospitable place for the Irish,has a much more extensive network/support system,is less expensive and has a better economy right now.Finding work and an affordable,decent place to live will be much simpler.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:25 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,668,120 times
I wouldn't say Boston has a better economy or better job opportunities (unless you're looking at some sort of academic job, as Boston is the higher education capital of not just the US but really the world). It does have a much larger Irish community (particularly in South Boston/Southie).

TBH, I'm not really sure what you do "related" to a degree in English poetry, so I'm not sure how easy it would be for you to get a permitted job. Sounds like it would a fairly obscure field, though, so it might be tough. Would have to know more about what jobs your visa qualifies you for.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
I wouldn't say Boston has a better economy or better job opportunities (unless you're looking at some sort of academic job, as Boston is the higher education capital of not just the US but really the world). It does have a much larger Irish community (particularly in South Boston/Southie).

TBH, I'm not really sure what you do "related" to a degree in English poetry, so I'm not sure how easy it would be for you to get a permitted job. Sounds like it would a fairly obscure field, though, so it might be tough. Would have to know more about what jobs your visa qualifies you for.
I didn't say that Boston has a better economy,I said Boston has a better economy RIGHT NOW. There is a difference.The current recession has been very uneven in it's effects in different parts of the country.Boston seems to have suffered less than NY and seems to have a better economic picture RIGHT NOW.

It doesn't mean that Boston intrinsically has a better economy.Although one could argue that it's economy is better equipped for the future because of it's concentration on education,technology,science and medicine I wasn't making that argument.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the advice Bluedog2. Just wondering is there not a great response to the Irish in New York at the moment?

Much appreciated too BrownstoneNY. I can qualify to work in writing, editing, journalism, arts and culture promotion etc. Anything that can fairly loosely connect to English, though I have no actual work experience presently. I'm not after anything too fancy or looking to break into academic writing, just looking for something to pay bills and save a bit to see some of the US during the year. We don't really mind if we're not in a hugely Irish area but if you think this would help us to get employment and accommodation then we'll definitely go down that route. Do you know if there is more native Irish in Boston than New York? Also do you think Boston or New York is better for work in my suggested areas with no experience? I'm under no illusions with no experience, I'm expecting long hours, little pay and starting at the very bottom of whatever field I get work in.

Last edited by sini; 01-28-2011 at 02:31 PM..

Old 01-28-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sini View Post
Thanks for the advice Bluedog2. Just wondering is there not a great response to the Irish in New York at the moment?

Much appreciated too BrownstoneNY. I can qualify to work in writing, editing, journalism, arts and culture promotion etc. Anything that can fairly loosely connect to English, though I have no actual work experience presently. I'm not after anything too fancy or looking to break into academic writing, just looking for something to pay bills and save a bit to see some of the US during the year. We don't really mind if we're not in a hugely Irish area but if you think this would help us to get employment and accommodation then we'll definitely go down that route. Do you know if there is more native Irish in Boston than New York? Also do you think Boston or New York is better for work in my suggested areas with no experience? I'm under no illusions with no experience, I'm expecting long hours, little pay and starting at the very bottom of whatever field I get work in.
It's not that you would find any kind of a bad response in NY as opposed to Boston.It's more like you might find indifference( in NY) as opposed to welcoming with open arms in Boston.I am an Irish American(with Irish and US passports because my mother was Irish),born and raised in Boston but now living in NY for many years.I am very familiar with the Irish communities in both places and there is a difference.

Boston is definitely "more Irish" than NYC.While there have always been a lot of Irish in NY and there are still Irish enclaves it is nothing like the Boston area where almost 50% of the population claims Irish heritage.No matter what neighborhood in Boston or what town around the city you go to you will find someone who is related to someone you know in Ireland.And they will go out of their way to help you find work and living quarters.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:21 PM

That definitely gives us food for thought Bluedog2. We’re really starting to lean towards Boston now. Hadn’t realised there was such a strong pastoral element in the Irish community over there. The move would certainly be a less worrying prospect with the knowledge of a support system because I think we’re probably a bit green and clueless going over. Also it’s always great to trace common friends when abroad, good homesickness prevention. Nice to hear you’ve some Irish blood too, thanks for your response (“,)

Old 01-28-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sini View Post
[SIZE=3]That definitely gives us food for thought Bluedog2. We’re really starting to lean towards Boston now. Hadn’t realised there was such a strong pastoral element in the Irish community over there. The move would certainly be a less worrying prospect with the knowledge of a support system because I think we’re probably a bit green and clueless going over. Also it’s always great to trace common friends when abroad, good homesickness prevention. Nice to hear you’ve some Irish blood too, thanks for your response (“,) [/SIZE]
You will be able to find something of a support system in NYC too but really only in a couple of neighborhoods....like Woodlawn in The Bronx and Woodside in Queens.Woodlawn is definitely the most extensive.It is filled with Irish Americans and more recent Irish arrivals,both legal and illegal.I have cousins from Ireland there and I go to the pubs and restaurants there frequently.

There is a strong "pastoral element" in Boston because there are hundreds of thousands of people like me.My Irish born mother came from a family of 11 children and half(all girls) were shipped over here while the other 1/2 stayed in Ireland.Of the ones who came here ,4 settled in Boston,1 in NYC and 1 in Chicago.They all had big families of their own(here and there) so as a result I have more family in Ireland than in Boston or NY.It goes a little deeper than mere heritage and wearing green on St Paddy's Day.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:56 AM

110 posts, read 192,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
You will be able to find something of a support system in NYC too but really only in a couple of neighborhoods....like Woodlawn in The Bronx and Woodside in Queens.Woodlawn is definitely the most extensive.It is filled with Irish Americans and more recent Irish arrivals,both legal and illegal.I have cousins from Ireland there and I go to the pubs and restaurants there frequently.

There is a strong "pastoral element" in Boston because there are hundreds of thousands of people like me.My Irish born mother came from a family of 11 children and half(all girls) were shipped over here while the other 1/2 stayed in Ireland.Of the ones who came here ,4 settled in Boston,1 in NYC and 1 in Chicago.They all had big families of their own(here and there) so as a result I have more family in Ireland than in Boston or NY.It goes a little deeper than mere heritage and wearing green on St Paddy's Day.
Very Good advice, and this would also get you to experience the real New York and not the touristic Manhattan lifestyle. Many Europeans I meet always get the wrong impression about New York from only visiting a few things in Manhattan, not realizing they did not see too many New Yorkers except the cops.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:24 AM

Cheers for the advice and information. Just wondering if anyone could shine some light on the job oppertunities over there now too? And perhaps some advice on how much money it would be wise to have going over?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City