U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:23 PM

539 posts, read 359,150 times

Advertisements

I remember reading quite a bit about Times Square and 42nd Street and saw some pictures of them from the 1970s and 1980s and I was absolutely shocked by how disgusting it looked. I remember my Dad taking the subway through NYC to Yankee Stadium back in the early 80s and seeing the Times Square station absolutely trashed. He said that back then you could get mugged in broad daylight if you weren't careful.

I was born in 1991, so obviously I have no memory of the pre-clean up Times Square. I'd just like to how bad it was from anyone here who actually did live through it.

Edit: Sorry about the duplicate thread. I realized I spelled something in the title wrong and couldn't reedit it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 02:32 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,675,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrehm View Post
I remember reading quite a bit about Times Square and 42nd Street and saw some pictures of them from the 1970s and 1980s and I was absolutely shocked by how disgusting it looked.
I thought it was atrocious and thought only a Herculean effort would change it. Here look:
http://www.nyc-architecture.com/MID/...mesSquare2.htm The b&w photos were before my time but the late 70's ones ring a mental bell, even though I was little.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:53 PM

11,510 posts, read 15,601,101 times
Default I always avoided the block

coming from the Port Authority and heading east. I stuck to 40th street because even 41 st street had too many characters hanging around

I think in the late 70's the area was at it's absolute worst. I remember back in the summer of 1978 a vagrant inside the Port Authority terminal grabbed a cop's gun and started shooting at anyone and anything in sight. The other cops managed to shoot him down. The following year, a gang rampaged through the penny arcade area in the 42 street subway station and started beating, jumping and robbing innocent passersby.

I don't think the 80's were as bad on 42 street as they were in the 70's. Still bad, but not like in 1978

Old 01-27-2011, 03:12 PM

11,151 posts, read 9,502,015 times
The first time I moved to NYC was in 1976. Since I was "in the theatre," I visited the Times Square area a lot for photography sessions and to pick up headshots.

It was AWFUL.

I was offered drugs numerous times, in broad daylight, on busy sidewalks. The area was filled with "XXX" movie theaters, peep shows and strip clubs. (Personal anecdote: I was once offered a job as a buckster outside a strip club. I declined. Politely. )

And 42nd Street after dark? Scary.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:24 PM

468 posts, read 748,949 times
Just like here in DC you would get either robbed, shot, stabbed or get the living crap beaten out of you if you mouthed off to the wrong person.

Sometimes that would even happen for no reason at all.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
(Personal anecdote: I was once offered a job as a buckster outside a strip club. I declined. Politely. )

And 42nd Street after dark? Scary.
I'm afraid to ask what a "buckster" is

Old 01-27-2011, 03:55 PM

468 posts, read 748,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrehm View Post
I remember reading quite a bit about Times Square and 42nd Street and saw some pictures of them from the 1970s and 1980s and I was absolutely shocked by how disgusting it looked. I remember my Dad taking the subway through NYC to Yankee Stadium back in the early 80s and seeing the Times Square station absolutely trashed. He said that back then you could get mugged in broad daylight if you weren't careful.

I was born in 1991, so obviously I have no memory of the pre-clean up Times Square. I'd just like to how bad it was from anyone here who actually did live through it.

Edit: Sorry about the duplicate thread. I realized I spelled something in the title wrong and couldn't reedit it.

If you want to see how the Bronx was in the 1970s watch this.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:03 PM

11,151 posts, read 9,502,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
I'm afraid to ask what a "buckster" is

The job was to stand on the sidewalk outside the strip club, interacting with passers-by and doing whatever it took to get them INTO the club.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:20 PM

11,510 posts, read 15,601,101 times
Default the guy on the left...

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

...with the glasses would be a buckster for the massage parlor he is standing in front of

this is not even 42 street, this is 8th Avenue between 47th and 48th street, which was farther north into the theater area, also a huge market for prostitution and drug trade at the time (this had to be in 1971 or after because the Hollywood theater in the picture opened in 1971)

today the theater is the NY Tourbus station., there is also a Duane Reade and little bars and other little touristy places

times have changed

Old 01-27-2011, 04:41 PM

yeah i heard the starbucks on 8th & 47th was a gigolo (gay) bar, as in, old dudes looking for young dudes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City