Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 12:38 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times

Advertisements

I live in Bensonhurst / Bath Beach. It is very affordable and safe. Stores and subways are close.

Parking- well lets just say in spite of all this snow, my truck hasn't been moved in over a week, as there are mounds of snow that has been taking up more parking spaces than I can count......

But on a regular day, without snow, parking isn't great but not as horrific as a lot of other Brooklyn neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 11:43 AM

38 posts, read 124,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMountain View Post
Can you give me any names?

Regarding picking bay ridge, I have some friends out there who's brother lived in bay ridge a few years ago when I went to visit and so I saw it a little bit hanging out with them and it seemed like a nice area, also it's on the cheaper end so that's good. Finally, my wife will be working down in New Jersey so living in that area minimizes her commute while still having access to the subway. It may not ultimately be our ideal neighborhood, but it seems like a good place to start at least.
unlikely for a 2 br in BR in that rent range -- you're generally looking at at least $1500 and honestly, parking is pretty much a nightmare and garage rentals run around $250; though in the middle of BR below 3rd where there are virtually no apt bldgs, it's not too bad and you can do without renting one. Dyker Heights is usually a better deal, but it's generally a bus and train commute. If I'm reading into this correctly and your wife plans to drive to work, you can tack on about $18 in tolls per day from the Verrazano and Goethals Bridges; in which case you may want to seriously consider Jersey or check into commuter rates from EZpass. If you do rent in BR, stay off 3rd and 5th avenues -- way too noisy and busy for most (4th Ave. is mostly apartment buildings - it's busy but usually by passersby and not generally from bar stragglers ) And you should be aware that the R train sucks during non-rush hours.

I've heard good about Le Chaim, but you should also utililze the Times and other free websites. Also lot's of co-ops where it can take over a month to be approved by the board - though you could look into Flagg Court -- it's a huge complex on 72-73rd and Ridge and they don't require board approval; but avoid 7401 Ridge down the road -- bedbugs.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City