Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 06:00 PM

468 posts, read 1,338,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight Flower View Post
I will be working in Manhattan.

If you don't have anything to contribute to my post then do not post at all to insult me. I am free to choose where and who I wish to live with. No one cares when a black or hispanic wants to live around there own kind it is only when a white wants to live around her own kind we get called racist.

My sister may be moving with me and if so our budget will be 4,000 if we split the rent together. She is an accountant so I suppose it will be very easy for her to find a job here. She also does real estate.

Murray Hill sounds like a nice community it may just be my top choice. Long Island looks nice but I am worried about the commute to Manhattan from Long Island.
Come down to DC.

I have a few condos for sale if you want to be urban.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:16 PM

129 posts, read 373,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
You're missing the point.

Even the "blacks" or Hispanics who "want to live around there [sic] own kind" here, don't. There are just TOO many people here for any neighborhood to be 100 percent of a certain ethnicity or income level and TOO many people for you to only see and associate with white people.

There are wealthy neighborhoods and there are whiter neighborhoods, sure, but who do you think is commuting to work in those neighborhoods every day from the Bronx? (Hint: they may not speak perfect English. )

So, let's say you find your 99 percent white, affluent neighborhood within your budget (which ain't gonna happen, but whatever)—what about the scary "blacks" and Hispanics that you have to ride the train with everyday or shop at the bodega with? Can you handle that?

Sorry, but there aren't many white supremacist groups here in the city, as far as I can tell. Most everyone is live and let live (in whatever neighborhood they choose).

I'm white, likely considered affluent by most scales, and I would never, ever, ever only want to surround myself with white people. In fact, most of my favorite neighborhoods (besides the one I live in) have large population of ethnic groups other than my own.

My biggest tip to you, since you admit to not knowing much about the city: base your neighborhood search off of things you like, and not so much what you don't. You might be surprised where you end up.

(In addition, Murray Hill is just an extension of a college dorm, in my opinion. If you like that feel, it will be perfect for you. If not, look elsewhere.)
nice and well thought out post.. totally agree..

To the OP....lower your standards...to be brutally honest, your budget does not equal affluent and you probably are not affluent. You might want to look at cheap neighborhoods..(ironically, ones that are less white)

I woudn't say your friend getting an accounting job here is automatic... its ultra competetive up here..

thats why i suggested murray hill... its cheap, fratty, and well not affluent.. maybe that will suit you.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:28 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Hello.

I am a young white female moving to the NYC area on May 1st. I am looking for neighborhood suggestions.

I would like a neighborhood that is majority white, clean, educated, safe, and close to public transportation. I really do not know anything about NYC, and have been researching some neighborhoods online.

I want this area to be close to shopping, grocery stores, clubs, and other young singles like myself and be close to NYC if possible.

What are the best affluent neighborhoods in Brooklyn, Queens, or Manhattan? I am not looking into the Bronx because I see a lot of bad reviews and the populace is majority Hispanic, I do not want to feel singled out and I would prefer the populace to be clean and to speak and understand English.

I have a car and my budget is 1200 a month for rent (maximum is 1800, but something 1200 in a nice, safe and affluent neighborhood would also be nice). I am bringing a dog along with me so a neighborhood with a large park would be perfect for me.

About me: I am moving from a small town in South Carolina and I have always wanted to live in NYC but my parents have held me back saying that it was too dangerous. I myself want to make the move and I am so excited and cannot wait until May! I am a property manager and I have already have a job set up for me over there.
The non-hispanic white population of NYC is only 35%.
Demographics of New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And I imagine some large part of that white population is made up of immigrants such as Albanians & Russians for whom English is not a first language.

So if you are white and move into a city where 65% of the population is not white, or hispanic-white, then you are automatically in the minority!

That may explain why you are getting some of the reactions you are.

Also, you may want to re-think what your needs really are. Perhaps you don't want to move to a neighborhood that is primarily Spanish-speaking because it will make you feel like an outsider. That's ok.

But why must you designate that they be "white" -- what's wrong with having neighbors who are educated but not white, and who are bilingual or multi-lingual? Is it because it makes you feel insecure that you only speak one language? I guess this is understandable too to some degree.

Perhaps you should do some more reading and more thinking and come back and start a new thread when you decide not to be small-minded.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:29 PM

16 posts, read 19,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
You're missing the point.

Even the "blacks" or Hispanics who "want to live around there [sic] own kind" here, don't. There are just TOO many people here for any neighborhood to be 100 percent of a certain ethnicity or income level and TOO many people for you to only see and associate with white people.

There are wealthy neighborhoods and there are whiter neighborhoods, sure, but who do you think is commuting to work in those neighborhoods every day from the Bronx? (Hint: they may not speak perfect English. )

So, let's say you find your 99 percent white, affluent neighborhood within your budget (which ain't gonna happen, but whatever)—what about the scary "blacks" and Hispanics that you have to ride the train with everyday or shop at the bodega with? Can you handle that?

Sorry, but there aren't many white supremacist groups here in the city, as far as I can tell. Most everyone is live and let live (in whatever neighborhood they choose).

I'm white, likely considered affluent by most scales, and I would never, ever, ever only want to surround myself with white people. In fact, most of my favorite neighborhoods (besides the one I live in) have large population of ethnic groups other than my own.

My biggest tip to you, since you admit to not knowing much about the city: base your neighborhood search off of things you like, and not so much what you don't. You might be surprised where you end up.

(In addition, Murray Hill is just an extension of a college dorm, in my opinion. If you like that feel, it will be perfect for you. If not, look elsewhere.)
Why are people who do not even speak american working here in the first place? I want to be safe at night and I have been in urban cities surrounded by black thugs and I did not feel comfortable. I don't think that anyone would. And I have never been on the NYC subway but I assume everyone keeps to themselves. If their is a group of blacks obviously causing trouble I will know to steer clear away from them.As long as they do not live within my house cause trouble, crime, low living conditions, and stay away from around me I will be fine.

And that is your preference I only choose to associate with other whites.

I am visiting on Feb 12-15 so if anyone else has any other neighborhoods that I will like please post them here. So far I have:

Murray Hill and Astoria. How is the Bayridge and Park Slope areas?

Old 02-01-2011, 06:32 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
What happens if someone black or (Heaven forbid) someone who's first language isn't english works at your office. Better bring some lysol. It hear it's catching.

Also, not everyone who is black is a thug. Lol.

I have to assume you are native american also, since you look down on lowly immigrants.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:33 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,545 times
Quote:
I will be working in Manhattan.

If you don't have anything to contribute to my post then do not post at all to insult me. I am free to choose where and who I wish to live with. No one cares when a black or hispanic wants to live around there own kind it is only when a white wants to live around her own kind we get called racist.

My sister may be moving with me and if so our budget will be 4,000 if we split the rent together. She is an accountant so I suppose it will be very easy for her to find a job here. She also does real estate.

Murray Hill sounds like a nice community it may just be my top choice. Long Island looks nice but I am worried about the commute to Manhattan from Long Island.
Actually Moonlight, your original post was a bit insulting. Why would you want to move to possibly the most diverse city on the planet and then try and isolate and surround yourself to all that was familiar back in SC?

Please answer one question: Why are you set on moving here? You seem unwilling to accept this city for what it is. Are you coming here for bragging rights? Will your friends think your cool? Are you defying Mommy and Daddy?

Old 02-01-2011, 06:36 PM

129 posts, read 373,200 times
Quote:
Why are people who do not even speak american working here in the first place? I want to be safe at night and I have been in urban cities surrounded by black thugs and I did not feel comfortable. I don't think that anyone would. And I have never been on the NYC subway but I assume everyone keeps to themselves. If their is a group of blacks obviously causing trouble I will know to steer clear away from them.As long as they do not live within my house cause trouble, crime, low living conditions, and stay away from around me I will be fine.

And that is your preference I only choose to associate with other whites.

I am visiting on Feb so if anyone else has any other neighborhoods that I will like please post them here. So far I have:

Murray Hill and Astoria. How is the Bayridge and Park Slope areas?
Quote:
Why are people who do not even speak american
pure comedic gold!

ok i'm guessing this thread was started as a joke?.. Is the OP serious?..It can't be

Quote:
How is the Bayridge and Park Slope areas?
you are not affluent enough for park slope.

I would suggest my neighborhood, but its filled with EDUCATED, affluent people.. i would not want to live with people like you

Old 02-01-2011, 06:37 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrowe224 View Post
I would suggest my neighborhood, but its filled with EDUCATED, affluent people.. i would not want to live with people like you
I would also suggest my neighborhood but it's mostly gay and I am assuming that's not ok either. And you couldn't even rent my bathroom for $1200 a month.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:38 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post

I have to assume you are native american also, since you look down on lowly immigrants.
At this point I am assuming she is a Trollhattanite.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:42 PM

16 posts, read 19,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLET View Post
Come down to DC.

I have a few condos for sale if you want to be urban.
I actually liked DC. Where in DC are they located?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City