Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:25 PM

7 posts, read 103,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
If you are not familiar with the area, this is not a good time of the year to move there. Wait until the weather is warm, and go around there on weekdays, weekends, during the day, and the evenings then you will see if you would be comfortable living there.
Unfortunately, I have to decide pretty quickly: i was approved for mid income housing there, they won't wait until the weather is warm I basically need to sign the lease...or not.
Interestingly, I looked up upcoming developments (for which the applications are not even being accepted yet), and everything i saw was north of West 116 and MORE expensive...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 08:29 AM

30 posts, read 113,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkbk1969 View Post
I know... confusing, isn't it?! As i said in another post: I just don't understand why would people people pay luxury rental fees for an unsafe neighborhood?! It just doesn't make any market sense... And i saw ads for luxury rentals in this area, and there're clearly a bunch of new buildings all over these few blocks...

It all sounds very scary... On the other hand, just to play a devil's advocate: You know, there were a bunch of shootings in Fort Green last year (including the one in a beauty salon where a police officer apprehended the perpetrator) and I would move to Fort Green in a heart beat!!! Fell completely safe there.
Probably those luxury rentals cost half of what same apartments downtown. It's luxury at a cheaper price - at the cost of the location...

Like you said, waiting for the weather to warm up is not an option, NYC real estate market waits for noone.

I am quite familiar with the area - only day time though. I also don't mind verbal harrassment as long as I can go untouched. Talk is cheap I'm concerned about after dark - are there enough people on the street to feel safe? Project areas on Coney Island get completely deserted past 5pm in winter - everyone's rushing home before the thugs take over. I'm sure Harlem is not like that - but the projects right next door? how much trouble can they be?
Say 11pm I walk 4 blocks from the subway by myself (female) - how much of a jeopardy is that? these are my regular work hours, it's not an occasional venture.

P.S. Harlemites please don't get offended, I have lived in a place where I'd cab it from the subway station because it was that bad.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:43 AM

556 posts, read 1,441,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkbk1969 View Post
Yes, the building I'm considering is a new construction right near the subway stop. I'm not sure where the flea market is but when I was there the first time, I saw a bunch of new constructions that looked like they were luxury buildings and not rentals. Later on, I saw several ads for luxury rentals on these few blocks... It's just hard to believe that people are paying this amount of money to live in an unsafe place... why would anyone do that?!

I will be harassed because i am a female or because i am white or just because?
Harassed becuase your a female, dont speak spanish or whatever. Didnt qoute your other post but the projects are THAT bad anymore ive stayed there a few nights(with my Lexus parked outside).

On Lennox the sidewalks are wide yet there always seems to be a groups larger than them. Sometimes you have to make the walk around/do I want to start by walking thru decision. Lots of rowdyness and ignorance on display on Lennox, worse during the summer.

From my brother who lives in the MLK Projects "Back in the 1990s, guliani used to send down the block those ESV or mini tanks with NYPD painted on them. It was bad. Now, they got these new buildings, I wouldnt move into one tho"

Commute is good tho.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:16 PM

30 posts, read 113,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestburynLI to BronxnNYC View Post
Harassed becuase your a female, dont speak spanish or whatever. Didnt qoute your other post but the projects are THAT bad anymore ive stayed there a few nights(with my Lexus parked outside).

On Lennox the sidewalks are wide yet there always seems to be a groups larger than them. Sometimes you have to make the walk around/do I want to start by walking thru decision. Lots of rowdyness and ignorance on display on Lennox, worse during the summer.

From my brother who lives in the MLK Projects "Back in the 1990s, guliani used to send down the block those ESV or mini tanks with NYPD painted on them. It was bad. Now, they got these new buildings, I wouldnt move into one tho"

Commute is good tho.

Hi,

I'm sorry for being slow: I'm not following your brother's point?

And yes, Lennox does seem rowdy... but if it's just laud and obnoxious there's no harm in that. What do you think are the chances that someone will actually violate your physical border?

Old 02-08-2011, 02:30 PM

556 posts, read 1,441,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsewhere View Post
Hi,

I'm sorry for being slow: I'm not following your brother's point?

And yes, Lennox does seem rowdy... but if it's just laud and obnoxious there's no harm in that. What do you think are the chances that someone will actually violate your physical border?
That the neighborhood isnt worth paying alot to live in.

Well id say ure chances are higher than average, but you dont seem to mind people doing whatever they please, then you will be fine.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:08 PM

84 posts, read 397,052 times
Hell no!

Old 03-21-2011, 04:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,688 times
"So... could anyone enlighten me on how safe is this particular block for a single white female in her late 30s? ...
I can't say I felt unsafe but I was not totally relaxed. And I was not alone."

As a member of the Central Harlem community, I can assure you it's safe. As a female, I don't take a cab anywhere after 10pm, regardless of neighborhood. You seem to focus on the fact that you're white, and I'm inferring that means you're uncomfortable around people of color. Why should your race play any role in your safety? Murders and robberies occur all around the city, including the Upper East Side and Greenwich Village. If you are indeed uncomfortable around people of color, of varying social classes, do not move to Harlem. Social class is more of a predictor than race in Harlem. I'm assuming your middle/upper class; a black woman in Harlem of middle/upper class sticks out just as much as a white woman of middle/upper class.

You will get attention on the street if you are a woman, especially an attractive woman. Some might call it harassment, others would call it flattery, funny, entertaining, etc. I tend to feel the latter adjectives about the comments on the street. Only once in a while are they vile.

I'm sorry to see, but not surprised, that some people would still take on the role of a victim, and assume they'd be targeted because of their skin color.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:22 PM

69 posts, read 205,052 times
i was on 125th and lexington near the pathmark for about a year living with my girl. im italian and DID have issues cause of my race. believe it or not im 6'2'' and im a boxer but still didnt feel ''safe'' as i cant punch bullets or beat up groups of 10+ . just walking to bodegas after hrs had people yelling white boy, pu$$y, etc i ignored and eventually met some cool people i played basketball with who had my back. after i was seen with them for the most part i wasn't bothered anymore. however thats after i was ''excepted'' walking it alone i didn't feel very safe.

they say 125th and up is ruff but i disagree, i have also felt sketchy in the area of 110th near the subway stop.

and sadly race DOES play a big toll. when i see black or spanish dudes walking without issue and yet im getting fuked with being italian that certainly says its my race. my girl ''now wife'' is puerto rican they also didnt like that either.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:04 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,836,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondBasic View Post

and sadly race DOES play a big toll. when i see black or spanish dudes walking without issue and yet im getting fuked with being italian that certainly says its my race. my girl ''now wife'' is puerto rican they also didnt like that either.
I see you have your location listed as Morrisania Bronx. As a former Morrisania resident, and as a Harlem resident, I just have to ask: Do you feel safer in Morrisania, than you do in Harlem?

If so, why?

Old 03-22-2011, 09:08 AM

5,720 posts, read 19,983,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
"The worst" is north of 125th St, especially north of 135th St.

116th and Lenox is not bad; the people who talk about crime in Harlem tend to exaggerate or tell selective stories. But there is some drug activity in that area, especially to the east. I think you'd be okay living there, but you're better off visiting the area than asking here (especially as what you're comfortable with may not line up with what others' are comfortable with).
Wrong advice. The most dangerous part of Harlem is south of 125th, or lower central Harlem, 28th precinct. The upper Harlem is childs play compared to lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City