Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 08:11 PM

842 posts, read 4,299,427 times

Advertisements

Do you agree that if you don't live in Manhattan, or very close proximity to it, then it's not worth living in New York City?

I was born and raised in Queens. I've worked in the Bronx. My family is scattered throughout NYC/ NJ.

And I've come to the conclusion that unless you live on the island of Manhattan or have very very easy access to it, NYC is not worth the hype!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 08:18 PM

335 posts, read 1,432,325 times
with the comparison point of chicago in mind, i'm about to find out.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:51 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,536,973 times
If parts of the Rockaways weren't a dump, both inland and sea, I wouldn't see the reason to go to Manhattan unless out of necessity.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:01 PM

954 posts, read 4,365,715 times
No. I lived under that delusion for 6 1/2 years. I have lived in Brooklyn the past 1 1/2 years or so. I actually enjoy being out of the city for part of my life. I go in to work and get my Manhattan fix. Yet, there is an entire NYC experience to be had outside of Manhattan. Agreed, that not all of the boroughs are equally interesting. Then, neither is all of Manhattan of equal interest.
I love Manhattan but I also love Brooklyn.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:31 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,776,837 times
Before anyone moves to NYC and spends all the money they should analyze why they want to move here. If it's just so they can say they live here, why bother.

If you need a job, some entertainment on the weekends, public transit, there are plenty other options. Many cities offer what you need.

If your here for "DIVERSITY", walkable neighborhoods, THE LIFE. Give me a break...

For the NYC life "Sex and the City, Friends" bull****, you will have to live in Manhattan and honestly be pretty wealthy. Even then life ain't like a TV show.

Again it's your cash.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:34 PM

842 posts, read 4,299,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
No. I lived under that delusion for 6 1/2 years. I have lived in Brooklyn the past 1 1/2 years or so. I actually enjoy being out of the city for part of my life. I go in to work and get my Manhattan fix. Yet, there is an entire NYC experience to be had outside of Manhattan. Agreed, that not all of the boroughs are equally interesting. Then, neither is all of Manhattan of equal interest.
I love Manhattan but I also love Brooklyn.
You're right. I have a special place in my heart for Queens but I'm from generation X. My mind is always racing towards the next best thing. We had no major wars during our lifetime. We are bored. I believe that in this generation, we will witness the gentrification of the entire island of Manhattan.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:45 AM

27,625 posts, read 21,016,545 times
Default Not The Brooklyn I Was Bron and Raised In Anymore

I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY. I have always commuted to Manhattan to work. I've worked
in the East Village, West Village, Soho, Rockefeller Center, Central Park South. In other words, I've worked
uptown, downtown, midtown and have had enough! Over the years I've seen the city become progressively
more crowded and filthy. The neighborhoods that once had their own brand of charm have morphed into
yuppie infested, overpriced areas or tourist shopping traps. I never wanted to live in Manhattan, but now
I find it totally intolerable. Commuting from Brooklyn to the city, unless you live downtown Brooklyn, is and
always had been a hellish nightmare. The subways, although now mostly air conditioned, are way too crowded
and dirty. The train stations are unbearably hot in the summer and they stink. You have to pray that
the train will not break down or some idiot didn't decide to fall onto the tracks and cause horrible delays.
Maybe a homeless person will be asleep across 3 seats during rush hour and if they do get up, who would sit
there now anyway? Brooklyn has also become uninhabitable. The Science Journal's geological department
has named Brooklyn "The Most Paved City In The Nation" The entire Borough is cement. Where once there
might have been trees, they are gone now. If due to disease, insect infestation or over-construction, I don't know,
but most of them are never replaced. People here use them as garbage receptacles anyway. There are always
cigarette butts, paper cups, burger wrappers and various debris surrounding the tree beds. The morons here do
not have any respect for nature or the ecology at all! There is always new and ugly houses being built to replace
once charming dwellings. There is never any space utilized for green space and because of obviously ridiculous
zoning laws, builders are not required to plant anything. You will never see a solar panel here or a building going up
made from recycled materials. There are some neighborhoods in Brooklyn that are a bit more livable, but they
are totally unaffordable because of their proximity to smelly Manhattan. This area has been overrun by Russian
immigrants. If you are not against unrestrained immigration, you will be after living here. Not only are the majority
of these people stupidly ignorant to the environment, they do not assimilate but are rude and arrogant to boot. I feel as if I have been transported to Moscow while I was asleep. This is also a disgustingly noisy place.
I am taking a trip to Portland Oregon in September and I have a feeling that when I return here it will be to pack
up and leave for good!!!!

Old 07-20-2007, 01:50 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,383,653 times
If anything here's my advice for those that want to move to NYC, but aren't quite sure about their decision. I'm from the Chicago area (much like "Chi2NYC?" is), and my best advice would be to sublease an apartment for perhaps a month or two. Don't pack up all your belongings just yet, maybe bring just a portion of it over to New York, and see how you dig the lifestyle in New York (whether it's in Manhattan or one of the boroughs such as Brooklyn or Queens, etc.). Such a trip will give you a good idea I think of what it's like to live in New York on a daily basis. If you ride the subways during the morning & evening rush hours you'll see firsthand how crowded the trains get. I did something like this a couple months ago, and decided to return back to the Chicago area for the time being as my opportunities for big income and a good quality of life in New York were rather slim being a very entry-level, fresh out of college graduate, job candidate. I actually stayed in a "hostel" type of setup in the Jackson Heights neighborhood in Queens. Being of Indian ethnicity myself, Jackson Heights simply felt like a larger, more in-your-face version of Chicago's Devon Avenue (which is like Chi-Town's Little India), mixed with some Latin flavor since part of Jackson Heights or the neighborhoods next to it are primarily Latin (from various countries). I commuted from Queens all the way to White Plains in Westchester County for a few days thinking I was going to stick with a bull**** sales job. The whole thing was pseudo-scam like in nature....the company, NV Innovations, was hawking credit card terminals for their parent company, Cydcor, and Innovative Merchant Solutions, to small business owners. We'd be driving to far off towns like Union, NJ, and trying to sell the owners on these devices. The commute from Queens to White Plains was a ***** (subway train to Grand Central, Metro North train from Grand Central to White Plains, then either a bus or cab ride to work), and the job was almost like a scam, and sucked balls. So anyway, back to what I was saying earlier.....I figure that if I need to party in New York with some of my friends from there once in a while or perhaps do business in New York, I'll just keep on the look-out for some cheap flights (especially via Southwest Airines out to Islip out in L.I. where hardly any people have the patience to take the LIRR train back into Manhattan, JetBlue also seems affordable, etc.), and go to NY from time to time. Right now my savings will take a beating, and my quality of life will probably suffer if I make a move to the New York area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Before anyone moves to NYC and spends all the money they should analyze why they want to move here. If it's just so they can say they live here, why bother.

If you need a job, some entertainment on the weekends, public transit, there are plenty other options. Many cities offer what you need.

If your here for "DIVERSITY", walkable neighborhoods, THE LIFE. Give me a break...

For the NYC life "Sex and the City, Friends" bull****, you will have to live in Manhattan and honestly be pretty wealthy. Even then life ain't like a TV show.

Again it's your cash.

Last edited by reppin_the_847; 07-20-2007 at 02:02 AM..

Old 07-20-2007, 07:11 AM

335 posts, read 1,432,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
If anything here's my advice for those that want to move to NYC, but aren't quite sure about their decision. I'm from the Chicago area (much like "Chi2NYC?" is), and my best advice would be to sublease an apartment for perhaps a month or two. Don't pack up all your belongings just yet, maybe bring just a portion of it over to New York, and see how you dig the lifestyle in New York (whether it's in Manhattan or one of the boroughs such as Brooklyn or Queens, etc.). Such a trip will give you a good idea I think of what it's like to live in New York on a daily basis. If you ride the subways during the morning & evening rush hours you'll see firsthand how crowded the trains get. I did something like this a couple months ago, and decided to return back to the Chicago area for the time being as my opportunities for big income and a good quality of life in New York were rather slim being a very entry-level, fresh out of college graduate, job candidate. I actually stayed in a "hostel" type of setup in the Jackson Heights neighborhood in Queens. Being of Indian ethnicity myself, Jackson Heights simply felt like a larger, more in-your-face version of Chicago's Devon Avenue (which is like Chi-Town's Little India), mixed with some Latin flavor since part of Jackson Heights or the neighborhoods next to it are primarily Latin (from various countries). I commuted from Queens all the way to White Plains in Westchester County for a few days thinking I was going to stick with a bull**** sales job. The whole thing was pseudo-scam like in nature....the company, NV Innovations, was hawking credit card terminals for their parent company, Cydcor, and Innovative Merchant Solutions, to small business owners. We'd be driving to far off towns like Union, NJ, and trying to sell the owners on these devices. The commute from Queens to White Plains was a ***** (subway train to Grand Central, Metro North train from Grand Central to White Plains, then either a bus or cab ride to work), and the job was almost like a scam, and sucked balls. So anyway, back to what I was saying earlier.....I figure that if I need to party in New York with some of my friends from there once in a while or perhaps do business in New York, I'll just keep on the look-out for some cheap flights (especially via Southwest Airines out to Islip out in L.I. where hardly any people have the patience to take the LIRR train back into Manhattan, JetBlue also seems affordable, etc.), and go to NY from time to time. Right now my savings will take a beating, and my quality of life will probably suffer if I make a move to the New York area.
thanks for the perspective. i'm in a fortunate situation, in that i'm moving to nyc for school. with subsidized school housing in an outer borough, i expect/hope to live cheaper there than in chicago. but no, that doesn't necessarily mean it will be worth it.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:54 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,383,653 times
Given your situation, I think you're in a good position to make that move right now and spend some time in New York (the whole school thing / subsidized housing), etc. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi2NYC? View Post
thanks for the perspective. i'm in a fortunate situation, in that i'm moving to nyc for school. with subsidized school housing in an outer borough, i expect/hope to live cheaper there than in chicago. but no, that doesn't necessarily mean it will be worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City