U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 10:13 AM

12,321 posts, read 12,056,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Bloomberg is NOT denying the rights and liberties of others, unless you believe it is your right and liberty to poison me? By banning liquor sales to minors he is infringing on their rights to get drunk...and by banning crack he is infringing on people's rights to get high. By banning toxic toys from China you are banning my right to buy chinese products for cheap.

What do all these things have in common? The societal costs outweigh the individual "right" to ultimately harm yourself and others. I would prefer the government not "tell us what to do", but if you don't want government telling you where and where not to smoke, then we should also do away with all the other things government tells us not to do, like crack, buying toxic/deadly toys, Vodka for 5 year olds, etc.

Furthermore, I am all for people doing all of these things and having these rights, but tax payers/government should not be responsible to clean up your mess..i.e. you smoke and get cancer, unless you have private insurance government/taxpyers ain't paying for you. If you want to be a crack head, there are no government/taxpayer rehab centers/services and you simply die, and you are welcome to buy toxic/deadly toys, but you cannot sue the manufacturers, or the government for not protecting you, and you better have your own health insurance cuz government/medicaid ain't paying for it.

Get it?

:c rying:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 10:26 AM

9,856 posts, read 7,910,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I would rather have a ban on texting and driving, or talking on a cell phone while driving, than someone smoking 3 feet away from me.

A person "texting while driving" scares the sheet out of me, a person smoking doesn't
Why the hell would this be an either/or decision?

Disturbing lung cancer doesn't scare you though.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Why the hell would this be an either/or decision?

Disturbing lung cancer doesn't scare you though.
No it doesn't scare me since I am really not that often in the presence of smokers.

But while driving a car, which I do everyday I see more and more people texting while driving, so yes, that scares me more.

If I am walking behind a smoker, I can either stop walking, move away, cross the street..... but if a driver is texting, I just can't move a car as fast as I can move my legs.

Also my chances of getting severly hurt in a car accident is probably a billion times greater than getting a disease from breathing in second hand smoke.

so there...... ****sticks tongue out*****

Old 02-03-2011, 11:10 AM

9,856 posts, read 7,910,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
No it doesn't scare me since I am really not that often in the presence of smokers.

But while driving a car, which I do everyday I see more and more people texting while driving, so yes, that scares me more.

If I am walking behind a smoker, I can either stop walking, move away, cross the street..... but if a driver is texting, I just can't move a car as fast as I can move my legs.

Also my chances of getting severly hurt in a car accident is probably a billion times greater than getting a disease from breathing in second hand smoke.

so there...... ****sticks tongue out*****
Sunscreen must be for suckers too, right? And vitamins? And brushing your teeth?

Old 02-03-2011, 11:23 AM

2,374 posts, read 1,467,284 times
I don't understand the hypocrisy of people who condemn behaviors in others they don't approve of but happily defend their own behaviors.

SobroGuy, I suppose people who didn't wear sunscreen and got melanoma, never exercised and ended up with heart disease, went to loud rock concerts and needed hearing aids, were beaten by a spouse and ended up in the hospital, or were injured riding on a motorcycle should be banned from healthcare as well?

I am truly shocked by the lack of tolerance by some New Yorkers.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Sunscreen must be for suckers too, right? And vitamins? And brushing your teeth?

oh please.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:45 AM

1,933 posts, read 1,858,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Bloomberg is NOT denying the rights and liberties of others, unless you believe it is your right and liberty to poison me? By banning liquor sales to minors he is infringing on the rights of 5 year olds to get drunk...and by banning crack he is infringing on people's rights to get high. By banning toxic toys from China you are banning my right to buy chinese products for cheap.

What do all these things have in common? The societal costs outweigh the individual "right" to ultimately harm yourself and others. I would prefer the government not "tell us what to do", but if you don't want government telling you where and where not to smoke, then we should also do away with all the other things government tells us not to do, like crack, buying toxic/deadly toys, Vodka for 5 year olds, etc.

Furthermore, I am all for people doing all of these things and having these rights, but tax payers/government should not be responsible to clean up your mess..i.e. you smoke and get cancer, unless you have private insurance government/taxpayers ain't paying for you. If you want to be a crack head, there are no government/taxpayer rehab centers/services and you simply die, and you are welcome to buy toxic/deadly toys, but you cannot sue the manufacturers, or the government for not protecting you, and you better have your own health insurance cuz government/medicaid ain't paying for it.

As soon as the repercussions of your "rights" and "liberties" don't ultimately fall on the backs of government/taxpayers to protect and care for you, then I am all for your "rights" and "liberties" to smoke 10 packs a day, serve 2 liter Vodka bottles to your 5 year old, suck on lead based Barbies, and puff away on 80 viles of crack a day.

Get it?
Currently there are laws in place to stop kids from purchasing alcohol or cigarettes and vendors selling them to minors along with hefty fines.

So please spare me the semantics because I have yet to met a five year old chain smoking vodka drinking child selling crack with a Barbie on a gold chain in Times Square.

We are talking about adults who smoke and their liberties are being taken away. What next? No farting in Times Square because it is too congested.

As a nonsmoker, it disgusts me that another nonsmoker can't just simply walk away from someone who is smoking or vice versa. I have met many smokers who simply have a ciggie outside away from nonsmokers and turn their smoke in the opposite direction. I have yet to meet a smoker who purposely blows smoke in the faces of children or adults just because they want to. To outright ban smoking outdoors when we already have it in restaurants and other enclosed public spaces reeks of Prohibition and THAT didn't last. We all know the effects of alcohol and it is our job to be RESPONSIBLE when drinking.

Bloomberg is a tyrant through and through. He needs to be removed and hopefully someone will get all ACLU on him.

By the way do you not think your tax dollars are not paying for this peice of legislation? Bloomberg is effectively shutting out millions of dollars from taxes on cigarettes if he continues his ban and at some point decides that there will be no cigarette smoking at all in NYC. These tax dollars could be used for infrastructure and saving education, but I guess that is not plausible.

This is the man who sat smug faced during the Christmas Blizzard and couldn't give a damn about anybody but his own ego. He is a dictator who is bankrupting this city I do love and flushing it down the toilet.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I don't understand the hypocrisy of people who condemn behaviors in others they don't approve of but happily defend their own behaviors.

SobroGuy, I suppose people who didn't wear sunscreen and got melanoma, never exercised and ended up with heart disease, went to loud rock concerts and needed hearing aids, were beaten by a spouse and ended up in the hospital, or were injured riding on a motorcycle should be banned from healthcare as well?

I am truly shocked by the lack of tolerance by some New Yorkers.
Not all NY'ers think that way! I sure don't.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:55 AM

297 posts, read 345,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
What next? No farting in Times Square because it is too congested.
First they came for the smokers...

Old 02-03-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTAC View Post
First they came for the smokers...

And then the farters who came out of the 42nd Street AMC movie theater buttclenched because they couldn't wait on the line for the bathroom after the movie ended......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City