Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:30 AM

215 posts, read 661,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Competition will be pretty fierce; the number of people who take the tests usually runs to the thousands.
This is usually the surest sign the position is grossly overcompensated. They should eliminate guaranteed pensions, for they will eventually bankrupt the city - and the country (replace them with 401(k)'s and IRA's), and they should ban overtime with unemployment being what it is. And yeah, keep cutting compensation until competition for government jobs is moderate, not excessive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 06:21 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotormanMike View Post
You know , I am going to play devils advocate here ...

Politically , I am personally on the right. I have gone to tea party events , consider myself politically conservative.

I also work for the MTA as a subway motorman , and most of the jobs down here as you know are union positions. The car repairman you are talking about , make about the same hourly wage we make give or take a few cents and hour ...

Now , I have never been a hard core union supporter in the past before I took this job , and like most people before I came down here to work I would read stories like this and they would make me mad too ... but the truth is , for a guy to quadruple his salary down here on O.T. , all the guy does to do that is work work work , work , and then work some more. He must pull doubles practically every day.

In my first two years on the job as a motorman I made between 5-6k in O.T. each year on top of my normal salary which wasn't even adding 10% total onto the base pay , which at the time was about 67k/yr and now is about 70k/yr ... and I remember how hard it was to do all that O.T. Now the Feds have restrictions to how many hours OT we can work as operational personnel , that car repairmen don't have , so a Motorman couldn't quadruple his base salary but senior guys can pick road jobs that are 10 or 10+ hours a day , but then to make all that extra money and pull in over 100k a year they are working 52 , 53 , 54 hours a week , and working all that time for it.

So just throwing it out there before you judge the guy and blame the union and act like the money was underserved , just throwing out for you another side to the story. Whatever job you do for a living , if you work hard and work a lot of OT don't you feel your pay is deserved when you get it? I wouldn't begrudge it to you ...

Just saying a friendly way -
Are they hiring????!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City