Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 04:36 PM

327 posts, read 879,261 times

Advertisements

Metropolitan Transportation Authority
Dunne, Ronald C
Car Repairman
Annual
$283,619

why did our superintendents (and other public union figures) tell us to be doctors when you can make said salary on part-time work??

maybe less competition for their jobs?

..and this number doesn't take into account pensions/benefits..

New York State | Public Employee Payrolls & Pensions on SeeThroughNY | Home

Last edited by newjitty; 02-03-2011 at 04:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 04:45 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,312,179 times
You should note your source for this information, or provide a link. Otherwise it is tough to believe it.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
You should note your source for this information, or provide a link. Otherwise it is tough to believe it.

New York State | Public Employee Payrolls & Pensions on SeeThroughNY | Home

sad part is that figure doesn't include bonuses, benefits, pensions..

how does a guy who's rate is supposedly "$67,000" per annum take home more than FOUR times that amount..

..before benefits, bonuses, pensions

he's not the only one either...

..in other news, taxes UP..

..MTA fares, UP.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:58 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,312,179 times
I clicked on the link but it is unclear how to find it. Can you post the steps to get this information from the website? It would make things much easier.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:06 PM

click 'Public Authorities'..

you can type in his name and click Go..

other Car Repairmen...

Visceglia, Michael $274,963 2008
Brooks, Donald L $274,963 2008
Gilmore, Michael P $227,071 2008

..ton more on the list well above 6 figures for the same job title...doesn't include benefits/pensions (even if it DID, would it matter lol)

gotta love union rhetoric to uphold an image of 'plebeian' wages..

Old 02-03-2011, 05:28 PM

243 posts, read 1,330,070 times
You know , I am going to play devils advocate here ...

Politically , I am personally on the right. I have gone to tea party events , consider myself politically conservative.

I also work for the MTA as a subway motorman , and most of the jobs down here as you know are union positions. The car repairman you are talking about , make about the same hourly wage we make give or take a few cents and hour ...

Now , I have never been a hard core union supporter in the past before I took this job , and like most people before I came down here to work I would read stories like this and they would make me mad too ... but the truth is , for a guy to quadruple his salary down here on O.T. , all the guy does to do that is work work work , work , and then work some more. He must pull doubles practically every day.

In my first two years on the job as a motorman I made between 5-6k in O.T. each year on top of my normal salary which wasn't even adding 10% total onto the base pay , which at the time was about 67k/yr and now is about 70k/yr ... and I remember how hard it was to do all that O.T. Now the Feds have restrictions to how many hours OT we can work as operational personnel , that car repairmen don't have , so a Motorman couldn't quadruple his base salary but senior guys can pick road jobs that are 10 or 10+ hours a day , but then to make all that extra money and pull in over 100k a year they are working 52 , 53 , 54 hours a week , and working all that time for it.

So just throwing it out there before you judge the guy and blame the union and act like the money was underserved , just throwing out for you another side to the story. Whatever job you do for a living , if you work hard and work a lot of OT don't you feel your pay is deserved when you get it? I wouldn't begrudge it to you ...

Just saying a friendly way -

Old 02-03-2011, 06:17 PM
grant516

n/a posts
When the country has a 10% unemployment rate, there is no need for this man to work 80 hours a week, when so many could use the work.

It may end up costing tax payers about the same, but it's much more digestible.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotormanMike View Post
all the guy does to do that is work work work , work , and then work some more.

..oooorrrr, take as long as possible to get the job done to you can collect OT of taxpayers' dime (which bumps up pension you retire)...

maybe that's why there are continuous delays and electric shortages system-wide with the MTA??

Old 02-03-2011, 06:53 PM

243 posts, read 1,330,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjitty View Post
..oooorrrr, take as long as possible to get the job done to you can collect OT of taxpayers' dime (which bumps up pension you retire)...

maybe that's why there are continuous delays and electric shortages system-wide with the MTA??
Right and wrong ... Right on that retirement pensions are based on the average of the last 3 years worked , so guys in their last 3 years try and work all the OT possible to boost pensions. Pensions are nice but even once you retire and go on a pension you are only getting half the pay you were used to so most retired civil servants in all fields , transit , police , fire , etc. need to go get another job while collecting a pension. Let's say a motorman for example makes $90,000 average in his final 3 years and gets a $45,000 pension and loses $15,000 of that to taxes ... Thats $30,000 a year/52 weeks in a year ... or about $2300 a month take home. Minus $1000-$1500 a month for rent and that leaves $800-$1300 a month for electric , gas , cable , phone , car payment and gas (if any) , auto insurance (if any) , food , laundry , school payments (if any for kids) , etc. There is nothing wrong in trying to boost a pension. People treat it as if it's some kind of evil thing to do. 45k a year in NYC BEFORE taxes is nothing , even in the outer boroughs like Brooklyn where I live.

Where you are completely wrong is on the reasons why there are constant delays caused by construction , electrical work , etc. ... Here is the REAL reason why that happens. The MTA hires outside contractors to do most of the work. The MTA always hires the LOWEST bidder for the contracts. Sounds great , right? Wrong. What happens is when they hire the lowest bidder , the contractor usually cannot get the job done in time and although when they can't the MTA has the option to terminate them and the contract , for legal reasons , particularly getting sued if someone gets hurt , No contractors will come in and finish a job another contractor started , so the MTA then gets left stuck with the original contractor and that's when cost overuns and delays start and continue. If the MTA and other government agencies in general were allowed to accept the smartest and the best bids for jobs and not simply the lowest bid , these problems would happen much less if at all.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:04 PM

215 posts, read 518,058 times
A lot of the government agencies in NYC suck.
MTA sucks. Sanitation sucks.

There is no incentive for this guys to work better. Most of them probably don't care about street cleanliness and trains coming on time. Something should be done about this.

People should work for the common good and not care only about their private benefits and retirement. Otherwise - fire them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City