Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:09 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Haha I currently work (and typing this from) MetroTech.
LOL!

I've always called it Borough Hall though, It'll be crazy when I tell people the stop and then they'll say "Oh you mean MetroTech?"

I'll look like a rookie! Lol I guess I'll adjust sooner or later.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-04-2011 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 11:19 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,709,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
LOL!

I've always called it Borough Hall though, It'll be crazy when I tell people the stop and then they'll say "Oh you mean MetroTech?"

I'll look like a rookie! Lol I guess I'll adjust sooner or later.
Does the Jay St station even have an exit next to Borough Hall?

The one I use is right there under one of the MetroTech buildings (corner of Jay and Myrtle). Its kinda nice though that the whole metrotech place gets some recognition. Now I don't have to say "oh I work next to Borough Hall", instead I now say Borough Hall is the building next to MetroTech.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:51 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
It was given that name because it's the closest IND station to Borough Hall. Actually, calling it MetroTech makes a lot more sense (and that new transfer between the A/C/F and R lines is a great convenience).

For those of you who aren't familiar with the old system designations...

IRT (Interborough Rapid Transit) was the city's first subway, opened in 1904 and originally privately owned. The city took it over in 1940. IRT lines are the numbered ones.

BMT (Brooklyn-Manhattan Transit) was the second system. BMT lines today are identified by the second half of the alphabet, J-Z (although the West End line in Brooklyn is BMT...that's the D train these days).

IND (Independent) was the system built and owned by the city from the outset. It opened in 1932, and the first half of the alphabet, A-G, identifies those lines.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:06 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Jay Street - Borough Hall is still disgusting.

Everyone seems to be very protective of the disgusting subway system.
They do smell, some are poorly ventilated, they're not clean, and like 90% do not have operating signs giving you some hint when the next train may come.

For paying the head of the MTA over $200K a year, and him having worked recently for TfL (who does operate quite better looking stations), it's very sad they can't get anything done.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-04-2011 at 11:50 PM..

Old 02-04-2011, 08:07 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,409,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post

They do smell, some are poorly ventilated, they're not clean, and like 90% do not have operating signs giving you some hint when the next train may come.

For paying the head of the MTA over $200K a year, and him having worked recently for TfL (who does operate quite better looking stations), it's very sad they can't get anything done.
the irt lines, and the l trains have arriving signals. The rest of the ind/bmt lines should get them in the near future.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-04-2011 at 11:51 PM..

Old 02-04-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:

The one I use is right there under one of the MetroTech buildings (corner of Jay and Myrtle). Its kinda nice though that the whole metrotech place gets some recognition. Now I don't have to say "oh I work next to Borough Hall", instead I now say Borough Hall is the building next to MetroTech.
No unfortunately - But when it was built I guess it made more sense then. (The 2,3,4,5 station is the closest hub, it's right behind borough hall)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
It was given that name because it's the closest IND station to Borough Hall. Actually, calling it MetroTech makes a lot more sense (and that new transfer between the A/C/F and R lines is a great convenience).

For those of you who aren't familiar with the old system designations...

IRT (Interborough Rapid Transit) was the city's first subway, opened in 1904 and originally privately owned. The city took it over in 1940. IRT lines are the numbered ones.

BMT (Brooklyn-Manhattan Transit) was the second system. BMT lines today are identified by the second half of the alphabet, J-Z (although the West End line in Brooklyn is BMT...that's the D train these days).

IND (Independent) was the system built and owned by the city from the outset. It opened in 1932, and the first half of the alphabet, A-G, identifies those lines.
Thanks for this info. I'm always fascinated with facts like these (for some reason).

I also wonder, what will other stations look like in the future? I don't think our transit system is that bad, however for the biggest in America; it should be better.
What do you guys think of the old trains vs the newer trains? Which do you prefer the MTA to use?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a1/NYCS_R143_testing_and_R32.jpg (broken link)
Link (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a1/NYCS_R143_testing_and_R32.jpg - broken link)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/98/R68_Interior.jpeg (broken link)
Link (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/98/R68_Interior.jpeg - broken link)

Link

As for me, I honestly like them all (for different reasons).
The newer trains are just more vocal; it's easier to look at as well.
I still have a place in my heart for the vintage trains; even though I wasn't born during the time of their use! Lol

Old 02-04-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
No unfortunately - But when it was built I guess it made more sense then. (The 2,3,4,5 station is the closest hub, it's right behind borough hall)

Thanks for this info. I'm always fascinated with facts like these (for some reason).

I also wonder, what will other stations look like in the future? I don't think our transit system is that bad, however for the biggest in America; it should be better.
What do you guys think of the old trains vs the newer trains? Which do you prefer the MTA to use?

Link (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a1/NYCS_R143_testing_and_R32.jpg - broken link)

Link (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/98/R68_Interior.jpeg - broken link)

Link

As for me, I honestly like them all (for different reasons).
The newer trains are just more vocal; it's easier to look at as well.
I still have a place in my heart for the vintage trains; even though I wasn't born during the time of their use! Lol

the only trains i like that are not new are the r68(d/b trains) , r44(a/r/g trains)

anything older i hate but i love the new trains (r142/r143/r160). The only issue i will have in the future is if they make the next new trains look just like these current trains.

because the r143/r160 look very much the same except the inside. BORING.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post

I don't think we're being protective, but what would you like us to do?
The MTA says "We're working on it" what else can you/we ask for? It's either put up or shut-up, after that point.

It's a 24/7 system they have to work when it isn't rush hour; and you should know NYC doesn't have set rush hour times. Midnight - 5am is probably their best bet (which they do great with I guess).

I don't like when people moan and cry about something that's being worked on and something they can't change. If it takes years so be it, but don't act as if they're not trying. Everything is money and that's tight right now so just relax.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-04-2011 at 11:51 PM..

Old 02-04-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
the only trains i like that are not new are the r68(d/b trains) , r44(a/r/g trains)

anything older i hate but i love the new trains (r142/r143/r160). The only issue i will have in the future is if they make the next new trains look just like these current trains.

because the r143/r160 look very much the same except the inside. BORING.
I think those old trains will be obsolete in the coming years. Especially the "A" train (R46). =/ Unfortunately.

I can't wait to see some renderings for the newer trains though!

Old 02-04-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I think those old trains will be obsolete in the coming years. Especially the "A" train (R46). =/ Unfortunately.

I can't wait to see some renderings for the newer trains though!
i think the r46 is done. If im not mistaken but i think the r44 runs the A train now. I will see next time i ride the 8th avenue line.

but i hear the mta has anew contract for 2011 - 2012 or a bit later for r188(irt), and r179(bmt/ind). I prey to god that both trains have a different look. I also do not want the mta to retire the window seats in subways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City