Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 03:54 PM

215 posts, read 519,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
ues in general = expect to grow quickly tired of transportation into and out of the ues.

green line = dread
This is not true in general. The green line is one of the best in terms of train frequency. The only downside is that it is crowded at peak hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 05:47 PM

145 posts, read 401,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
Also, what about the UES east of Lexington (away from the ritzy areas)? Lots of stuff in my price range there, but will I constantly want to leave my neighborhood to find the things on my list? (I'm guessing so)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
ues in general = expect to grow quickly tired of transportation into and out of the ues.

green line = dread
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMM View Post
This is not true in general. The green line is one of the best in terms of train frequency. The only downside is that it is crowded at peak hours.

I can avoid the train at rush hour for the most part since I work from home. Do you think I'd be happy in the UES however given what I'm looking for? I'm sure I'll get something a little better for my money there compared to the EV as there are a TON more apartments in the UES in my price range.

But if you think the EV suits my needs better, I'll probably stick with that. I'm also open to checking out other neighborhoods during my visit in March if you think somewhere else is a good fit for what I'm looking for.

Thanks again for everyone's continued input!

Old 02-04-2011, 06:07 PM

756 posts, read 2,278,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
I can avoid the train at rush hour for the most part since I work from home. Do you think I'd be happy in the UES however given what I'm looking for? I'm sure I'll get something a little better for my money there compared to the EV as there are a TON more apartments in the UES in my price range.

But if you think the EV suits my needs better, I'll probably stick with that. I'm also open to checking out other neighborhoods during my visit in March if you think somewhere else is a good fit for what I'm looking for.

Thanks again for everyone's continued input!
I think the UES is a little too tame and residential for what you seek. I know very few people who *go* to the UES for dinner or a night out, yet everyone goes to the EV. Also, it's more expensive than the East Village.

I disagree with Lolabrigida's opinion that a neighborhood can't be home to both young people and have a "stroll through the park" sort of feel. I think the EV does that quite well with Tompkins Square Park. It's a little edgier than a mommy-fied, stroller-packed park but it still has a neighborhood vibe, same with West Village.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:21 PM

145 posts, read 401,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
I think the UES is a little too tame and residential for what you seek. I know very few people who *go* to the UES for dinner or a night out, yet everyone goes to the EV. Also, it's more expensive than the East Village.
When you say the UES is more expensive than EV, you are referring to the area east of Lexington right? I just want to make sure, as I could never afford to live west of Lex - way too ritzy. Apartments are definitely cheaper in this section of the UES compared to the EV, so I assume you're referring to things like food? Or were you referring to the whole UES including areas closer to the park?

Old 02-04-2011, 06:25 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
I think the EV does that quite well with Tompkins Square Park. It's a little edgier than a mommy-fied, stroller-packed park but it still has a neighborhood vibe, same with West Village.
Yeah well Tompkins Square park is filled with homless people and drug addicts. I would NEVER live near there as a female.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Yeah well Tompkins Square park is filled with homless people and drug addicts. I would NEVER live near there as a female.
Seriously? Twenty years ago, when it was known as "Killer Park," sure, but now I think it's just about as dangerous as any other park in the city. They have a greenmarket, a dog run, and beautiful trees. Ahem... http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/21/re...9xB7K66oGspJfA

jkozlow, I was referring to the area west of Lex. I don't know enough about the more easterly areas, price-wise, although, prices aside, I still stand by my comment about the nabe being dull.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:12 PM

468 posts, read 1,337,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Are you serious?

That place is Disneyland now compared to back in the days.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:21 AM

650 posts, read 2,516,876 times
I think there are good options in Park Slope in your budget.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:34 AM

769 posts, read 2,050,404 times
When we were looking for an apartment we saw a few, not many, very small 1 bedroom apartments on the UES for $1800. They were between York and 2nd avenue, in the 70s. The apartments were in walkup buildings on the 3rd or 4th floor. The reason we didn't like them was because they were under 500 sq ft so the bedroom was tiny (could not even fit a queen bed by itself), they had only 1 small closet, and too many stairs for us. Also no laundry on site.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
Also no laundry on site.
Just as an aside to the OP, most of the walk-up apartments in the Villages are not going to have laundry on site, if that's a deal breaker for you.

Honestly, it's not a huge deal—I have a place around the corner that picks up and delivers, same day, for $.95/lb. Even if I had laundry in my building, I waste a lot less time having it sent out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City