Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2011, 04:35 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,159,600 times

Advertisements

I heard it's crazy out here..that even within CUNY and SUNY classes don't just transfer right over. Anyhoo..I come from midwest..been here a while..and I have 30ish community college credits...really basic studies..english..psychology..biology..chemistry.. .anthropology..sociology..physical education (one class)..music 101...math 96..and I think that's about it. Then..I finished an LPN program over here..it was at an accredited college..but it was one of those for-profit techy sort of schools..even though it's accredited..you know..the kind of schools they advertise on the train..I have 30 credits from there with about 12-13 being from microbiology and anatomy and physiology, but the rest are strictly nursing classes, so I don't think they would do me any good unless I was going to finish my bachelors in nursing, which I am not.

So I have 60ish credits total..but like I said...30 come from my old community college with basic studies..and another 30 come from LPN school, but of that set of 30, only 12 are science courses and I'm thinking those are only good ones. Point blank, I'm just trying to finish my Bachelors. I work for myself already and I do alright..but I just want to apply my energy and fulfill myself. I'm interested in Math and Business...even interested in learning Spanish and I really don't care what my Bachelors is in..I just don't want Liberal Arts on my Bachelors lol. Yes, I know a lot of people will rip me apart, but you have to understand, I am just doing this to fulfill myself...I like staying busy and call me loopy, but I like taking classes and learning new things, reading, assignments, essays, and meeting new people...might as well get a Bachelors out of it. I want to hang it on my wall in a nice frame lol. So please..don't flame me...I'm being honest with ya. I'm going to clep out of as many things as possible and find something enjoyable to finish my Bachelors in. I was thinking of LAGCC..but from experience, which colleges take most transfer credits...doesn't have to be prestigious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 08:01 PM

I guess people in NYC don't go to college?

Old 02-04-2011, 08:57 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Techically the CUNY is one unit with multiple units (schools), and the SUNY is one unit with multiple units (schools).

Anything accepted by one, -should- be accepted by others. However, this may vary from program to program- even within a single school. If Hunter college takes some credits, but Lehman may not- they're undermining each others acceptance of the City University.

Check with the office of admissions at the school you'd prefer the most; make sure you have copies of your own transcript, as well as are willing to shell out the money to have some forwarded over. In the event of disputes on any courses, try to locate a copy of your professor's (who you took the class with) syllabus- if it is consistent with that of the SUNY/CUNY class; you can easily petition for credit.

Private schools are a whole other ball game, and do not need to accept any credit- and often will be more scarce about awarding it.

Make sure you're assertive with the schools. Often people who work in these offices are students on work study who are not 100% aware of the rules.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:38 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,011,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
I guess people in NYC don't go to college?
The dot-dot-dots made the post too hard to read.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
Techically the CUNY is one unit with multiple units (schools), and the SUNY is one unit with multiple units (schools).

Anything accepted by one, -should- be accepted by others. However, this may vary from program to program- even within a single school. If Hunter college takes some credits, but Lehman may not- they're undermining each others acceptance of the City University.

Check with the office of admissions at the school you'd prefer the most; make sure you have copies of your own transcript, as well as are willing to shell out the money to have some forwarded over. In the event of disputes on any courses, try to locate a copy of your professor's (who you took the class with) syllabus- if it is consistent with that of the SUNY/CUNY class; you can easily petition for credit.

Private schools are a whole other ball game, and do not need to accept any credit- and often will be more scarce about awarding it.

Make sure you're assertive with the schools. Often people who work in these offices are students on work study who are not 100% aware of the rules.
Thanks..I'm basically just trying to clump together as many credits as I can and get the quickest Bachelors degree possible. It will enable me to apply to office jobs for $10/hr! lol...no, but seriously. The Bachelors is the new high school diploma..don't have one and you're not even getting in the door to interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: