Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 10:17 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times

Advertisements

So what are you trying to say? That ENY is such a downtrodden and oppressed backwater that ENY residents have no hope of ever opening a business? With no hope at all the best that these people can expect is to work for a company that pays less than a living wage and extracts their money from their community and transfers it to Arkansas and China? Why would ENY deserve this treatment? Haven't they suffered enough with crime and unsafe housing projects? Now they need a parasitic retailer in the community too to cut off all opportunity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
And in ENY's case there's really nowhere to go but up, I fail to see how your second paragraph applied to East New York. Walmart isn't even much of a supermarket in the first place, ENY could really use a Costco/BJ's more than a Walmart actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 10:20 PM

769 posts, read 2,050,404 times
Quote:
There's a Target and that proved to be successful, I even went there once or twice (although the Valley Stream one is closer to me).

And in ENY's case there's really nowhere to go but up, I fail to see how your second paragraph applied to East New York. Walmart isn't even much of a supermarket in the first place, ENY could really use a Costco/BJ's more than a Walmart actually.

You seem to be against Walmart in general which is cool but some of these side effects probably would be non-existent in ENY. Most companies have bad practices, it's sad and I'm against it too but it is what it is. This is about opening up a Walmart in a place that could actually benefit from it, not opening one up on Main Street USA.
Walmart isn't much of a supermarket? I wonder how many of you that want this to happen have ever stepped foot inside a Walmart. Most of the new Walmarts are Supercenters, which means they have a full grocery store inside. They have everything from canned/boxed goods to meat, produce, deli, bakeries, etc.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:14 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Let the people of ENY decide? These people have little to no experience with Wal-Mart and the greater consequences of introducing this vendor into the community.
Nail on the head. Everybody in this thread thats pro walmart obviously have never spent time in places that host these stores. That..or your just a transplant that doesnt know any better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2k9 View Post
So many other big box stores are already in the city. They don't create any storm. How can a single Walmart in East New York be a big black hole? Please enlighten me?
Wal-mart operates on a whole different level than other big box stores. Thats why its so prominent and number 1. It acts as if its the sun and everything else revolves around it. Thats its track record in just about every place its located in. Especially so in the south. I bet wal mart execs mouths are watering just thinking about having that power in a city like new york. Lol ya dumb as fck if ya think it will start and end with East new york if walmart gets an approval in this city

Old 02-07-2011, 01:05 AM

Default ENY only a beachhead for Wal-Mart

You got that right. ENY is the beachhead that Wal-Mart wants to establish in NYC. Soon it will be in all the outer boros and drive out the local stores. Remember that iron law that cheap products drive out good products. Wal-Mart has a huge pipeline to the sweatshops of China and has flooded the backwaters of America with cheap Chinese products; driving out all of the quality products, killing local industry and driving money and work off-shore.

Here in NY the supermarkets cater to the ethnic population. We are not like palookaville USA where the diet consists of American style microwave food or American style salty junk food in plastic bags. Most of the local NY supermarkets cater to the ethnic taste of the locals; this is a role that Wal-mart does not fill. Go to Wal-mart in Harrison NY to see their selection of American foods and saline solution injected meats. NY is not the white/black backwater dichotomy that Wal-Mart is used to. We need really old world food in NY. Bring this retailer into your community and you are stuck eating saline/preservative injected meats with salty foods in a bag like mac and cheese.

If the food in Wal-Mart is bad the clothes in Wal-Mart are atrocious. These rags are barely good enough to wipe up a mess with; yet people wear these clothes from the worst of Chinese sweat shops. I'm talking clothes with cartoons on them and other TV characters made of the cheapest fabrics. Stuff that is too short while ridiculously wide as the sweatshops like to mock the garish body shapes of obese backwater wal-mart patrons.

The wal-mart fashion marketing trick is to connect the garments with TV (NASCAR/Hannah Montana/Family Guy, ETC) which is the primary form of entertainment in backwater America, Once Wal-Mart gains that beachhead in the community tastes in fashion will lower to suit the boss retailer. When you see people walking around in size 48 NASCAR sweatpants you know that a Wal-Mart is near.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Nail on the head. Everybody in this thread thats pro walmart obviously have never spent time in places that host these stores. That..or your just a transplant that doesnt know any better

Wal-mart operates on a whole different level than other big box stores. Thats why its so prominent and number 1. It acts as if its the sun and everything else revolves around it. Thats its track record in just about every place its located in. Especially so in the south. I bet wal mart execs mouths are watering just thinking about having that power in a city like new york. Lol ya dumb as fck if ya think it will start and end with East new york if walmart gets an approval in this city

Last edited by samyn on the green; 02-07-2011 at 01:28 AM..

Old 02-07-2011, 03:06 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
Have you ever seen Walmart's meat and produce? I would hardly call that high quality. And it would not be a couple of bodegas. They would put a lot of stores out of business- even some that are not mom and pop. And by the way, the bodegas are not overcharging anyone. They probably make the same amount of money or less than Walmart on each item. The difference is that Walmart tells their suppliers how much they are going to pay for things, not the other way around. If the suppliers do not agree, Walmart drops them.
I'm not saying that Walmart sells the highest quality of meats, but I'm pretty sure its better than whats sold in the average East New York supermarket. What stores in Brooklyn are going to suffer as a result of Walmart being in East New York? Tell me.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-07-2011, 03:13 AM

Quote:
There's a Target and that proved to be successful, I even went there once or twice (although the Valley Stream one is closer to me).

You seem to be against Walmart in general which is cool but some of these side effects probably would be non-existent in ENY. Most companies have bad practices, it's sad and I'm against it too but it is what it is. This is about opening up a Walmart in a place that could actually benefit from it, not opening one up on Main Street USA.
East New York already has a BJs in Gateway Plaza.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
You got that right. ENY is the beachhead that Wal-Mart wants to establish in NYC. Soon it will be in all the outer boros and drive out the local stores. Remember that iron law that cheap products drive out good products. Wal-Mart has a huge pipeline to the sweatshops of China and has flooded the backwaters of America with cheap Chinese products; driving out all of the quality products, killing local industry and driving money and work off-shore.

Here in NY the supermarkets cater to the ethnic population. We are not like palookaville USA where the diet consists of American style microwave food or American style salty junk food in plastic bags. Most of the local NY supermarkets cater to the ethnic taste of the locals; this is a role that Wal-mart does not fill. Go to Wal-mart in Harrison NY to see their selection of American foods and saline solution injected meats. NY is not the white/black backwater dichotomy that Wal-Mart is used to. We need really old world food in NY. Bring this retailer into your community and you are stuck eating saline/preservative injected meats with salty foods in a bag like mac and cheese.

If the food in Wal-Mart is bad the clothes in Wal-Mart are atrocious. These rags are barely good enough to wipe up a mess with; yet people wear these clothes from the worst of Chinese sweat shops. I'm talking clothes with cartoons on them and other TV characters made of the cheapest fabrics. Stuff that is too short while ridiculously wide as the sweatshops like to mock the garish body shapes of obese backwater wal-mart patrons.

The wal-mart fashion marketing trick is to connect the garments with TV (NASCAR/Hannah Montana/Family Guy, ETC) which is the primary form of entertainment in backwater America, Once Wal-Mart gains that beachhead in the community tastes in fashion will lower to suit the boss retailer. When you see people walking around in size 48 NASCAR sweatpants you know that a Wal-Mart is near.
This post is outlandish. You can clearly go on their website and see for example, they sell namebrand boys jeans. Levis, Wrangler, Dickies etc.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:12 AM

Pathmark in Whitestone, Waldbuams in College Point, Western Beef in Ridgewood, Pathmark IN LIC all these stores etc and their workers -who make a living wage- will be in the cross-heirs. Why? Because this one store in ENY is a beachhead to establish Wal-Mart in NYC. Once it is established it will multiply like cancer. Offering massive amounts of goods and hiring people at a lower wage. Shifting all the profit to Arkansas further draining money out of the area and making this a "one horse town" with only a financial industry to drive the economy.

Will the meat be butchered in NY at the Wal-Mart supermarket? The last of the butchers will be put out of business - this was once a town with a strong tradition of butchers and meat packing. Wal Mart meat will will be butchered in Kansas or Oklahoma then injected with saline preservative solution so it can be shipped to NY. This way Wal-Mart can achieve economies of scale by producing the meat in central location with the cheapest possible labor. They are counting on you to be too stupid to know the difference- most people don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'm not saying that Walmart sells the highest quality of meats, but I'm pretty sure its better than whats sold in the average East New York supermarket. What stores in Brooklyn are going to suffer as a result of Walmart being in East New York? Tell me.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:25 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
They tried to come to Staten Island a few years ago. We stopped them.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:09 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,443 times
It seems like many people are vehemently against Walmart "just because", but honestly, I really don't see any good arguments against them coming to ENY. There are several in the metro already, and with few adverse effects. Furthermore, Target and K-Mart already exist and there are plenty of New Yorkers who patronize their services. Others already addressed other good points which I need not repeat.

This is not an endorsement for Walmart by any means. I abhor them just as much as everyone else. And, for those of you who feel as I do, I offer the following advice: don't shop there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City