Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:15 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
You got that right. ENY is the beachhead that Wal-Mart wants to establish in NYC. Soon it will be in all the outer boros and drive out the local stores. Remember that iron law that cheap products drive out good products. Wal-Mart has a huge pipeline to the sweatshops of China and has flooded the backwaters of America with cheap Chinese products; driving out all of the quality products, killing local industry and driving money and work off-shore.

Here in NY the supermarkets cater to the ethnic population. We are not like palookaville USA where the diet consists of American style microwave food or American style salty junk food in plastic bags. Most of the local NY supermarkets cater to the ethnic taste of the locals; this is a role that Wal-mart does not fill. Go to Wal-mart in Harrison NY to see their selection of American foods and saline solution injected meats. NY is not the white/black backwater dichotomy that Wal-Mart is used to. We need really old world food in NY. Bring this retailer into your community and you are stuck eating saline/preservative injected meats with salty foods in a bag like mac and cheese.

If the food in Wal-Mart is bad the clothes in Wal-Mart are atrocious. These rags are barely good enough to wipe up a mess with; yet people wear these clothes from the worst of Chinese sweat shops. I'm talking clothes with cartoons on them and other TV characters made of the cheapest fabrics. Stuff that is too short while ridiculously wide as the sweatshops like to mock the garish body shapes of obese backwater wal-mart patrons.

The wal-mart fashion marketing trick is to connect the garments with TV (NASCAR/Hannah Montana/Family Guy, ETC) which is the primary form of entertainment in backwater America, Once Wal-Mart gains that beachhead in the community tastes in fashion will lower to suit the boss retailer. When you see people walking around in size 48 NASCAR sweatpants you know that a Wal-Mart is near.
You are no better or worse than other Americans, regardless of where they shop or happen to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 11:45 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Pathmark in Whitestone, Waldbuams in College Point, Western Beef in Ridgewood, Pathmark IN LIC all these stores etc and their workers -who make a living wage- will be in the cross-heirs. Why? Because this one store in ENY is a beachhead to establish Wal-Mart in NYC. Once it is established it will multiply like cancer. Offering massive amounts of goods and hiring people at a lower wage. Shifting all the profit to Arkansas further draining money out of the area and making this a "one horse town" with only a financial industry to drive the economy.

Will the meat be butchered in NY at the Wal-Mart supermarket? The last of the butchers will be put out of business - this was once a town with a strong tradition of butchers and meat packing. Wal Mart meat will will be butchered in Kansas or Oklahoma then injected with saline preservative solution so it can be shipped to NY. This way Wal-Mart can achieve economies of scale by producing the meat in central location with the cheapest possible labor. They are counting on you to be too stupid to know the difference- most people don't.
I seriously dont think Wal-Mart has the capability to put chains such as Western Beef, Pathmark, Stop -N- Shop, etc. out of business. You are comparing NYC, a place with a myriad of options to buy groceries, to towns in the Midwest population 5,000, that had maybe only 1 or 2 other options before Wal-Mart came into town. Of course they're going to dominate over some rinky dink strip mall in Somewhereville, Missouri. But this "War of the Worlds", and "Wal-Mart pods landing to take over NYC" phenomena is utterly preposterous. Bottom line is they will be bringing jobs and affordable merchandise to an impoverished community without it coming out of anybody's pocket.

PS: When's the last time you've seen a butcher in NYC? Case in point: I can find a good club to party in the Meatpacking District faster than I can find a leg of lamb.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-07-2011, 12:00 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Seventh..the underlying issue is this:

-They are bringing jobs..but you know what jobs? They are not just minimum wage, but they prefer hiring 2 part-timers instead of 1 fulltimer = no benefits. And how do they keep a supply of part-timers who don't earn enough to make an actual living? They instruct them to apply for a mayriad of public benefits that they now qualify for, like welfare, food stamps, Section 8, and medicaid, and others so that the taxpayers absorb all those costs and Wal-Mart earns that much more profits. Retirement plans? yeah right.

-They do provide affordable merchandise, but how much does it really cost our society to save $.50 cents on tomatoes? We are ultimately helping them outsource jobs overseas (manufacturing to china), eliminating full time higher paying positions with benefits for part-time/no benefit jobs requiring tax payer programs, and further enriching a corporation that already has too much power in the US. They were expelled from German for their practices!

However, the flip side is that I think it is completely unamerican to keep businesses out that some elected officials don't like, or that the Unions don't like because they cannot extort them. We are a free country and Wal-mart should be able to open in NYC as easily as any other location, and it is really just a few special interests (UNIONS) which are preventing them from opening. The people want wal-mart, unions do not, and somehow this special interest supercedes the people...WTF.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:45 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
New yorkers actually making a case for wal-mart.......freaking wal-mart. 2012 is approaching.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:25 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I seriously dont think Wal-Mart has the capability to put chains such as Western Beef, Pathmark, Stop -N- Shop, etc. out of business. You are comparing NYC, a place with a myriad of options to buy groceries, to towns in the Midwest population 5,000, that had maybe only 1 or 2 other options before Wal-Mart came into town. Of course they're going to dominate over some rinky dink strip mall in Somewhereville, Missouri. But this "War of the Worlds", and "Wal-Mart pods landing to take over NYC" phenomena is utterly preposterous. Bottom line is they will be bringing jobs and affordable merchandise to an impoverished community without it coming out of anybody's pocket.

PS: When's the last time you've seen a butcher in NYC? Case in point: I can find a good club to party in the Meatpacking District faster than I can find a leg of lamb.
Plenty of butchers in my area.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:27 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Ironically..I am seeing local butchers making a comeback..as several have opened by me as well (Mott Haven).

Old 02-07-2011, 03:38 PM

769 posts, read 2,051,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

They put Save N Pack and Winn Dixie out of business in FL.

Just because Walmart opens a store does not mean people will start spending more money. The money people will spend there is money they were already spending somewhere else. Those other places they no longer shop at will have to lay off workers, cut wages, and eventually close their doors.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Seventh..the underlying issue is this:
They are bringing jobs..but you know what jobs? They are not just minimum wage, but they prefer hiring 2 part-timers instead of 1 fulltimer = no benefits. And how do they keep a supply of part-timers who don't earn enough to make an actual living? They instruct them to apply for a mayriad of public benefits that they now qualify for, like welfare, food stamps, Section 8, and medicaid, and others so that the taxpayers absorb all those costs and Wal-Mart earns that much more profits. Retirement plans? yeah right.
It's called capitalism. No different than the landlord who wishes to charge as a high a market rent as he/she can to make the most profit. Maximize profit, minimize expense, and produce a decent product.

Quote:
They do provide affordable merchandise, but how much does it really cost our society to save $.50 cents on tomatoes? We are ultimately helping them outsource jobs overseas (manufacturing to china), eliminating full time higher paying positions with benefits for part-time/no benefit jobs requiring tax payer programs, and further enriching a corporation that already has too much power in the US. They were expelled from German for their practices!
Walmart is not the first to outsource, nor will they be the last. Talk to all the automotive firms that have outsourced all their factories to Mexico. Go look in your closet now and I would be shocked if you had 3 shirts with a "Made in the USA" tag.

Quote:
However, the flip side is that I think it is completely unamerican to keep businesses out that some elected officials don't like, or that the Unions don't like because they cannot extort them. We are a free country and Wal-mart should be able to open in NYC as easily as any other location, and it is really just a few special interests (UNIONS) which are preventing them from opening. The people want wal-mart, unions do not, and somehow this special interest supercedes the people...WTF.
Wal-Mart is making money at a prolific rate. There's bound to be haters.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:31 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,442,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
They put Save N Pack and Winn Dixie out of business in FL.
Winn Dixie was one of those store that had a stangehold on some of the markets in the south along with Kugers and Piggy Wiggly stores and they learned there lesson about how they treated there long term customer base in the south and they bought it down on there own heads by doing the whole i will not bargin price shop for products in there store and they had a stangehold on most of the small south towns with the way they handle the smaller markets in the rural south food markets ..

Now if you go into the Piggly Wigglys or Kruger's food stores in the south they know that they have to keep there prices low so the local market area will shop at them ..

Treat your customer base right and they will shop at you Treat you customer base like crap and they will not come back and that what happened to alot of the stores in the south and out west ..

Smith food and drug parent company Fred's Meyer's and Krugers merged there stores and you saw a better customer service that the Kruger's brand hand from the people who shopped at store in the east now where comeing into the stores..

Basha's has a full service meat dept along with Fry''s food and drug stores haveing a meat dept to cutting up the meat you wanted .. Bashas' has t-bone steaks $3.97 a pound and 12 pack of pepsi for $2.50 a 12.pack ..

When iam liveing in Az i stay next to a Bashas' and i shoped there all the time because i did not need to get into a car and drive in the heat along with the Bashas' would match the sale price on other stores products if you asked only going to down to the Fry''s on the corner down the block when i need to get to the bank there inside the store ..

Old 02-07-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Plenty of butchers in my area.
Lucky for you. There must be fierce competition among them. "Plenty" of options to choose from for your steak dinner.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City