Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 03:34 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Well said...it has nothing to do with what NYers may or may not want, what may or may not be good for NYC. None of that matters. This fight is all because the unions don't want Wal-mart here, because they believe it will undercut their power.

That is a sad reality for NY residents. And our elected officials, who purport to represent the people, are in fact representing unions (a special interest group) in this matter.
I don't think this is so clear cut.

The problem with undercutting unions ( essentially wages) in a high COL area and a welfare state such as NYC is that Wal Mart will offload part of their low paid workforce's needs unto the city's taxpayers.

Frankly, the fact that low wage employers can offload part of their labor costs unto the rest of the city has got out of hand. If a business cannot pay their employees even survival wages then they probably should either look for a new business model or close up shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 05:47 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,442,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

The problem with undercutting unions ( essentially wages) in a high COL area and a welfare state such as NYC is that Wal Mart will offload part of their low paid workforce's needs unto the city's taxpayers.

Frankly, the fact that low wage employers can offload part of their labor costs unto the rest of the city has got out of hand. If a business cannot pay their employees even survival wages then they probably should either look for a new business model or close up shop.
If you look at the battle between walmart and the unions it the unions who do nothing but leach off the people who they say they are for but in real life the union is for itself in the long run .Why should i pay a person to fight for me when i only see them once a month or a once a year when i'm ready to vote someone in .

This is the biggest problem of the misbilefs of the socalled walmart work force .They do pay for more than you think .

This is a little fact about walmart ... Do you know that the person who work for walmart has so many diff options for them to have a walmart worker here is some of things that walmart does for it work force .

you can use the id card to get deep discounts on family trips to diff part of the us along with shopping at the store you get discounts on many diff things inside the store .

medical coverage for less than 40 dollars a month and that comes with dental and eye and i work for company where my medical coverage for me is about $300.oo a month .

Also you can go and work anywhere in the walmart chain of stores set up from the US to China to UK to any place where they have a store .Also you the worker get first choice on job assginments inside walmart

When my son is moved to a new base she moves to the nearest walmart in the area

Plus if you firgure this out walmart is also a good choice for people to go back to store with a part time job

One of my daughter's inlaws work at walmart in Ca area and she makes about $14.oo dollars a hour along with paying out about $30.oo dollars a month for complete medical coverage for her and the kids along with the coverage from my son who is still in the military .

So it has alot going for them .So maybe you need to go and work for walmart before saying they are a bad company to work for .

Old 10-09-2012, 06:16 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,442,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

If you look at the battle between walmart and the unions it the unions who do nothing but leach off the people who they say they are for but in real life the union is for itself in the long run .Why should i pay a person to fight for me when i only see them once a month or a once a year when i'm ready to vote someone in .

This is the biggest problem of the misbilefs of the socalled walmart work force .They do pay for more than you think .

This is a little fact about walmart ... Do you know that the person who work for walmart has so many diff options for them to have a walmart worker here is some of things that walmart does for it work force .

you can use the id card to get deep discounts on family trips to diff part of the us along with shopping at the store you get discounts on many diff things inside the store .

medical coverage for less than 40 dollars a month and that comes with dental and eye and i work for company where my medical coverage for me is about $300.oo a month .

Also you can go and work anywhere in the walmart chain of stores set up from the US to China to UK to any place where they have a store .Also you the worker get first choice on job assginments inside walmart

When my son is moved to a new base she moves to the nearest walmart in the area

Plus if you firgure this out walmart is also a good choice for people to go back to store with a part time job

One of my daughter's inlaws work at walmart in Ca area and she makes about $14.oo dollars a hour along with paying out about $30.oo dollars a month for complete medical coverage for her and the kids along with the coverage from my son who is still in the military .

So it has alot going for them .So maybe you need to go and work for walmart before saying they are a bad company to work for .

Old 10-09-2012, 08:05 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,875,865 times
Walmart > Kmart.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:29 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Kinda on the fence on Walmart. Not way against it but also don't see big need for it.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:17 AM

9 posts, read 19,093 times
Regardless on how much Walmart is willing to pay their employees, the fact is Walmart will NOT be the only company in NYC and if the workers think they are being undercut they can always look for another job that will pay them better. Eventually Walmart will get the message when nobody is willing to work for them. Let the market do its job......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City