U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 02-27-2011, 07:47 PM
 
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
68 posts, read 63,282 times
Reputation: 48

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida_boy View Post
Nice attitude for a social worker in training. I hope that works out for you.
I am sure there are other conservative social workers. And there is always time to change my major. I usually do not act like this, but some of the snide remarks here really made me lose it.

 
Old 02-27-2011, 07:59 PM
 
Location: New York City
1,555 posts, read 2,208,812 times
Reputation: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaintedLove View Post
What is wrong with being from the south? I would have to say we are the most bashed region in the USA. There are a lot of NYers in Little Rock and other big southern cities like Atlanta, GA - if NYC was so great why don't they just go back instead of downing us and our region? That's right no one can afford the ridiculous rent there, that is why!
Again what is wrong with being from the south? Appreciate what? I want to around other black people I also went to a majority black school and my current high school is majority black. Only a few white kids and anchor baby mexicans. That is what I am used to, sorry.

I do respect other people's culture that does not mean I should convert to their culture. If no one respects my culture, why should I respect theirs? (Obviously you do not) It is not fair.
You are right there are a lot of NYer's in Atlanta, GA....that is exactly what I mean NYer's are open minded and will give a new state/city a chance before assuming what the place is going to be like. Guess what?? ATL was only a southern stop on the map that no one paid any attention to until NYer's showed up and changed it....the same goes for Charlotte NC. Ever thought where those southern cities would have ended up had us NYer's never moved there in droves?? I can tell you where they would be, backward and getting nowhere fast.

The other thing that I cannot understand is why you are so preoccupied with the cost of living in NYC? You have 4 years in school and will be living in a dorm. Now after you finish school if NYC grows on you then you can worry about the cost of living here. Also why on earth are you wanting to bring a car to a city that has the best mass transit system on the planet earth? This is a 24 hour city, where you can get buses, trains, taxis or just walk...the only thing you bringing a car is going to do is aggravate you.

Speaking of being bashed.....you came on here and bashed NYC without living here first to see if you like it or not....not to mention the fact that you are bashing a city that has a school that is giving you a full scholarship (free money). I don't see Arkansas's school doing that!

What is wrong with the south you ask?? The same attitude that you are displaying here! There are a ton of black people living in this city and there have been a ton of black people living here since the Harlem Renaissance.....therefore if there are not enough black people at school you do not have to use school as your only outlet for socializing with black people....open your eyes there are over 9 million people living here so will be very easy for you to meet and socialize with other black people!

One more thing.....the south is full of black people....isn't one of the reasons that you chose to apply to a NYC school so that you can meet different types of people....haven't you heard that variety is the spice of life?

After being here 4 years I would be really surprised if you want to go back to the stuffy, uptight, confederate flags on the cars south!
 
Old 02-27-2011, 08:17 PM
 
Location: NoWhere
97 posts, read 140,486 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaintedLove View Post
Little old Arkansas? I am tired of people bashing my home state. So much to do? Only thing I am interested in is school, clubs, and meeting new people. I do not really care for ethnic foods, gay parties, or Broadway shows.
My major in Social work is obviously not enough to live in NYC, so I might move to Texas or somewhere after graduation. After all I am just a dumb black close minded southerner as you say...
well... u siad it not me... and it's arkansas i dont even notice that state on the map honestly thats why i bash it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaintedLove View Post
What is wrong with being from the south? I would have to say we are the most bashed region in the USA. There are a lot of NYers in Little Rock and other big southern cities like Atlanta, GA - if NYC was so great why don't they just go back instead of downing us and our region? That's right no one can afford the ridiculous rent there, that is why!



Again what is wrong with being from the south? Appreciate what? I want to around other black people I also went to a majority black school and my current high school is majority black. Only a few white kids and anchor baby mexicans. That is what I am used to, sorry.

I do respect other people's culture that does not mean I should convert to their culture. If no one respects my culture, why should I respect theirs? (Obviously you do not) It is not fair.
if u like being around blacks then you should of applied to a HBCU maybe Howard(MD) or Hampton(va)? i went to majority black schools all my life and its something i had no control over (in ele, MS, HS) and i seriously regret it thats why i prefer PWI, and whats wrong with the south? alot, and "NewYorkBorn" pointed it out, alot of confederate flags, closemindedness and its full of blacks (i am black), only spot i would like in the south would probably be "Miami" other then that i dont see anything comparing with that NY culture/lifestyle
 
Old 02-27-2011, 08:19 PM
 
69 posts, read 86,854 times
Reputation: 52
New Yorkers arn't racist(except a few). No one is bashing your culture just what I would call a small-town mentality, you are afraid of what you don't know.
Conservative does not mean thinking gays are disgusting, that is bigotry(what if I said that about African-Americans)
Regarding reperations, you do realize not many White-Americans were actually involved in slavery, only rich land owners in the South(for the most part), many Whites immigrated here in the late 1800's(Slavery was abolished in I believe 1863). Jews, Hungarians, Irish, Italians all faced persecution upon their arrival.
I wont apologize for slavery when my family wasn't even in this country yet lol.

Determining what you wish to do simply by race is absurd, also African-Americans in NYC have a much different culture then those in the South.

We are not fond of bigots in NYC, so please reexamine your views.
 
Old 02-27-2011, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side, NYC
1,586 posts, read 1,935,271 times
Reputation: 1292
Meh. To be honest, I think the OP should prepare for a lot of animosity at Columbia. Like I mentioned earlier, my little sister is about to graduate from that school. Your bigoted views won't be appreciated by anyone there, believe me.
 
Old 02-27-2011, 09:04 PM
 
62 posts, read 125,841 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAC NY View Post
Are you blind or visually impaired?

No black people in Harlem...
.
 
Old 02-27-2011, 09:41 PM
 
62 posts, read 125,841 times
Reputation: 32
Honestly TaintedLove, you're not ready for NYC. Unless you're willing to come here with an open mind, you will not survive. You haven't even started school and you're worried about 4 years down the line. You don't like gays... and all the other BS you've been saying. I'm not a fan of the gay lifestyle but I can respect them for who they are, they are humans like everyone else. I really believe, that you should stay in Arkansas with your narrow minded views. But if you want to learn and grow as person, try NYC, because there's a lot to learn just being in this city.
 
Old 03-02-2011, 06:31 AM
 
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
68 posts, read 63,282 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
You are right there are a lot of NYer's in Atlanta, GA....that is exactly what I mean NYer's are open minded and will give a new state/city a chance before assuming what the place is going to be like. Guess what?? ATL was only a southern stop on the map that no one paid any attention to until NYer's showed up and changed it....the same goes for Charlotte NC. Ever thought where those southern cities would have ended up had us NYer's never moved there in droves?? I can tell you where they would be, backward and getting nowhere fast.
There are plenty of NYers and Northerners in general who consistently bash the south as a region. There was a girl from NY who attends my high school and she and her parents constantly complain about the way of living in Arkansas, if you move south expect things to be southern. How did NYers "showed up and changed it"? Please enlighten me.

Quote:
The other thing that I cannot understand is why you are so preoccupied with the cost of living in NYC? You have 4 years in school and will be living in a dorm. Now after you finish school if NYC grows on you then you can worry about the cost of living here. Also why on earth are you wanting to bring a car to a city that has the best mass transit system on the planet earth? This is a 24 hour city, where you can get buses, trains, taxis or just walk...the only thing you bringing a car is going to do is aggravate you.
Those four years will fly by in no time. Just like high school did I am sure. What is wrong with thinking about the future? The cost of living here is ridiculous I wonder how people manage. $1500 for a studio apartment, that is just insane. If I am just going on campus then going back to the dorm, I will not need to worry about transportation and getting lost.

[quote]Speaking of being bashed.....you came on here and bashed NYC without living here first to see if you like it or not....not to mention the fact that you are bashing a city that has a school that is giving you a full scholarship (free money). I don't see Arkansas's school doing that![quote]

I did not bash NYC. NY has it own problems the city is segregated, just look at certain neighborhoods that are all white and neighborhoods that are all black. They even have the nerve to nickname Morningside heights "white harlem" is that really necessary? I thought no one cared where you were from, unless of course you are from below the mason dixon line.

Quote:
What is wrong with the south you ask?? The same attitude that you are displaying here! There are a ton of black people living in this city and there have been a ton of black people living here since the Harlem Renaissance.....therefore if there are not enough black people at school you do not have to use school as your only outlet for socializing with black people....open your eyes there are over 9 million people living here so will be very easy for you to meet and socialize with other black people!
There are other black people in NY, not real black americans, but jamaicans and all those others types. I really only want to talk with black americans because we share something in common. I am not sure if I will be accepted among these groups as they tend to stick together.

[quote]One more thing.....the south is full of black people....isn't one of the reasons that you chose to apply to a NYC school so that you can meet different types of people....haven't you heard that variety is the spice of life?[/quote

If you didn't like black people, it was a good thing that you got out of the south. Now that you are back in NY you just like to bash it. What other southern cities have you been to? Yes, I want to meet different types of people, but if they won't accept me for who I am (as others say here) then what is the point in socializing with them? I am afraid they won't talk to me because I do not look like them or make fun of me because I am southern.

Quote:
After being here 4 years I would be really surprised if you want to go back to the stuffy, uptight, confederate flags on the cars south!
Oh please don't start with that bull****. I have seen LOTS of confederate flags in PA, NJ, and upstate NY. That flag should not be flown anywhere outside the south. I have no problem with the flag per say, but if a person from the north flies it I get suspicious.
 
Old 03-02-2011, 07:56 AM
 
769 posts, read 1,172,920 times
Reputation: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaintedLove View Post
That flag should not be flown anywhere outside the south. I have no problem with the flag per say, but if a person from the north flies it I get suspicious.
That flag should not be flown anywhere period! I had the misfortune of living in FL for a while and I could not stand it when I saw those southern red***** with those flags all over their clothes, cars, and houses. News flash: We live in The United States of America now, no longer the north vs the south or the Union vs the Confederacy! The flag should be banned as far as I am concerned. It's funny that as a black person you defend the south so much when there are still areas down there where black people are afraid to go. In NYC even in the most Caucasian areas no black person would fear that if they walk around there something bad will happen to them.
 
Old 03-02-2011, 10:03 AM
 
Location: New York City
1,555 posts, read 2,208,812 times
Reputation: 908
[quote=TaintedLove;18096863]There are plenty of NYers and Northerners in general who consistently bash the south as a region. There was a girl from NY who attends my high school and she and her parents constantly complain about the way of living in Arkansas, if you move south expect things to be southern. How did NYers "showed up and changed it"? Please enlighten me.

Young lady if you don't know how NYer's moving to Atlanta Ga and Charolotte NC changed those southern cities then you are deliberately closing your eyes. First of all Atlanta did not have all of those international companies located there over 30 years ago....there were a lot of NYC businessmen and women that thought Atlanta had potential and stayed there and changed it.....now it is a thriving mecca....ever heard people say that Atlanta is a little version of NYC?

The same can be said for Charlotte....all of the banks that are located in Charlotte and the progress that has happened during the last 20 years largely due to us seeing potential in that southern city and moving there.

Those four years will fly by in no time. Just like high school did I am sure. What is wrong with thinking about the future? The cost of living here is ridiculous I wonder how people manage. $1500 for a studio apartment, that is just insane. If I am just going on campus then going back to the dorm, I will not need to worry about transportation and getting lost.

Yes the four years will pass by fast......but that does not mean that you will decide to stay and live in NYC.....after the four years are up you may decide to go back to Arkansas. So again what is the worry about $1500 apartment rents? First get through the four years and see if you like NYC......if you do and decide to stay trust me your education at Columbia will guarantee that you get a good corporate job here.....believe me you will understand how people afford to live here.
I did not bash NYC. NY has it own problems the city is segregated, just look at certain neighborhoods that are all white and neighborhoods that are all black. They even have the nerve to nickname Morningside heights "white harlem" is that really necessary? I thought no one cared where you were from, unless of course you are from below the mason dixon line.
You are bashing NYC the same way as the girl from NYC that you went to high school with. Take your own advice......just like we should expect things in the south to be southern, you should expect things in NYC to be city......there are over 9 million people living here....with the biggest city population in the US what do you expect? You made the decision to go to school here.....we did not come down to Arkansas and get you! Also to call NYC segregrated is again jumping to conclusions that you know nothing about......you have not even visited every area of the city yet so how do you know that blacks and whites are not living in neighborhoods together? Get on the train and head to Court street in Brooklyn.....the neighborhood is called Brooklyn Heights....when you get there open your eyes......you will not just see black and white living there together, you will also see asian, spanish and other races/ethnicities living there together.
There are other black people in NY, not real black americans, but jamaicans and all those others types. I really only want to talk with black americans because we share something in common. I am not sure if I will be accepted among these groups as they tend to stick together.
This was such an ignorant statement that I cannot tell you. There is nothing different about a Jamaican, Haitian, Trinidadian, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Dominican, Brazilian and all other people of color from a black american......the only difference between them and black americans is that we all were dropped off the slave ship at different ports! The bottom line is that we all share the same common African ancestor. Again a problem with the mentality of southern blacks and whites......your upbringing has made you believe that there should only be black and white in the world because that is mostly all you have grown up seeing in the south. Why do you think that most of the black americans you speak of left the south in droves after the civil war was over for places like NY, Chicago, Detroit etc.?

I am black and have plenty of friends from white, to spanish, to asian....why? because I don't allow silly differences stand in the way of meeting great people. My son is Puerto Rican!

Quote:
One more thing.....the south is full of black people....isn't one of the reasons that you chose to apply to a NYC school so that you can meet different types of people....haven't you heard that variety is the spice of life?[/quote

If you didn't like black people, it was a good thing that you got out of the south. Now that you are back in NY you just like to bash it. What other southern cities have you been to? Yes, I want to meet different types of people, but if they won't accept me for who I am (as others say here) then what is the point in socializing with them? I am afraid they won't talk to me because I do not look like them or make fun of me because I am southern.

Stop assuming......I am black so why on earth would I not like black people? The reason I left the south is because I don't like ignorant black and white people. I also don't like close minded people who think that the world only has room for black and white! BTW I bashed the south while I was living there too so believe me I did not wait until I moved back here to do it. What I say about the south is a fact not fiction. If you don't see anything disrespectful about white people riding all over the south with confederate flags waving in black peoples face then you have a serious issue. That is your problem....fear.....this is the most racially/ethnically mixed city on earth....stop worrying about not fiting in here....everybody fits in here this city allowed immigrants by the boatload to come into Ellis Island from Italy, Ireland, Scottland and a lot of other areas of the world. Once you stop assuming that you know everything about NYC and start transforming into an open minded young woman you will make friends from every race here. Whatever you do leave that "I only want to socialize with other black americans attitude in the south"....it will only stand in your way of growing as a person.
Oh please don't start with that bull****. I have seen LOTS of confederate flags in PA, NJ, and upstate NY. That flag should not be flown anywhere outside the south. I have no problem with the flag per say, but if a person from the north flies it I get suspicious.
I am a born and raised New Yorker, born in Brooklyn and beside my brief few years living in South Carolina been here all my life. I have NEVER seen a confederate flag flown in upstate NY, PA or NJ. Not saying that it is impossible but I have never witnessed it with my own eyes. But to answer what you said about the confederate flag......it should not be flown at all.......not in the south and not in the north being that you say you saw it here!

These videos on Ellis Island is the reason that NYC is the way that it is today. The acceptance of so many people to this very day from countries around the world is the reason it is so expensive to live here....supply and demand!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAqMWdlg_qA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fRppVj8o7M
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:49 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top