U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-05-2011, 08:00 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,735,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaintedLove View Post
Well not anymore I am going to give those things a try especially the first one. I will pass on the gays though
Sorry, but you're going to have to "give them a try" too. They're not going to pretend to be straight for you. And they certainly don't need you to approve of them.
(And by the way, NYC isn't the only place with gay people. I'm 100% positive that you know and interact with gay people down wherever you live.)

Old 03-05-2011, 08:03 PM

755 posts, read 1,206,219 times
Quote:
Well not anymore I am going to give those things a try especially the first one. I will pass on the gays though
"The gays"? Are you kidding me? What if I had said "the blacks" or "the fatties," since you mentioned you're overweight in an earlier post? You didn't choose to be black anymore than a gay person chose to be gay.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:08 PM

69 posts, read 79,965 times
Yea you can't avoid them and you shouldn't I have good friends who are gay.

Hated the Chinese food in philly though lol

Old 03-05-2011, 08:53 PM

127 posts, read 85,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarani View Post
Yea you can't avoid them and you shouldn't I have good friends who are gay.

Hated the Chinese food in philly though lol
She might wind up working for a gay or lesbian boss too. Social work is a very popular profession within the GLBT community in my town. But you might not know your boss is gay or lesbian because people often keep it under wraps at work (due to the uncomfortable possibility of hearing statements like "I'll avoid the gays").

Bummer about the Chinese food in Philadelphia. We were looking to relocate there (or NYC, but it's very expensive obviously). How many restaurants did you try? 'Cause I heard Chinese food is great there.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:49 PM

been to a few, so I was just assuming that alot were bad.(I am probably wrong though)

Got duck that was basically 75% fry and 25% duck, their sesame chicken was ok.

Its a nice city though, only really was in the downtown area(Love their train station though)

Old 03-06-2011, 09:39 AM

68 posts, read 58,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
"The gays"? Are you kidding me? What if I had said "the blacks" or "the fatties," since you mentioned you're overweight in an earlier post? You didn't choose to be black anymore than a gay person chose to be gay.
Oh so it is okay to make fun of the fat girl, but it is not okay to make fun of gays? This is not fair to me.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:46 AM

68 posts, read 58,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Sorry, but you're going to have to "give them a try" too. They're not going to pretend to be straight for you. And they certainly don't need you to approve of them.
(And by the way, NYC isn't the only place with gay people. I'm 100% positive that you know and interact with gay people down wherever you live.)
Okay and I do not need to them to approve of me because of what I am. I have encountered gay people before, and my experinces were not positive ones.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:49 AM

4,102 posts, read 4,493,316 times
Quote:
Oh so it is okay to make fun of the fat girl, but it is not okay to make fun of gays? This is not fair to me.
It's more common in NY to make fun of a fat person than make fun of a gay person or a black person. Black and gay are not choices.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:58 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,735,174 times
Quote:
Okay and I do not need to them to approve of me because of what I am. I have encountered gay people before, and my experinces were not positive ones.
Lots of people have had bad experiences with a few black people, so is it okay for them to make ignorant assumptions about the rest of us?

Old 03-06-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Not what he meant, he was saying that you are eager to treat gays rather harshly while asking if you would be fine with the same treatment towards african americans of overweight folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City