Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 02:20 PM

7 posts, read 14,214 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting on city-data forums. I noticed you guys as I was just browsing around and I wanted to join in.
Well anyways, I am a native New Yorker, born and raised in Brooklyn. I always thought that I was sick of NYC and Brooklyn, since I was always exposed to the same old, same old. However, I recently transferred colleges as a sophomore from the City College of New York to Cornell University, as a way to push myself out of my comfort zone and explore a bit. For months, I believed it was the right decision because I rationalized that I'm not getting the real collegiate experience. However now, all I gotta say is that be careful of what you wish for.

I'm loving it here in Cornell. It's definitely a step-up from CCNY and the courses are rigorous (and challenging...maybe a bit too challenging haha) and there are a crap-ton of opportunities here. But, as soon as my parents dropped me off at my dorm and left 3 weeks ago, the feeling of homesickness hit me hard. Right now, I miss all my family and friends in NYC. I feel like such a douche for leaving my best friends behind and parents and sister behind and for leaving classmates at CCNY.
I keep telling myself that this is a good investment for medical school, but right now I just don't see it and I miss the city. I mean, I'm making friends here and there, but just for once it would be great to see a familiar face, you know?

I was lucky enough to spend the weekend back home for Chinese New Years for a solid 2 days. My bed was absolute heaven compared to the one in my dorm, and the food was sooooooo much better at home and everywhere else in the city. It's just so weird going back to your old haunts and seeing some of your friends move on without you. I just can't help but fear that I'm going to be forgotten from their lives as if I never existed.

As for the rest of my days here, it's spent doing work, work, and work... and I'm not really complaining about the work, I just miss seeing my parents after a really hard study session to console me.

Do any of you have a suggestion on how to make the homesickness go away? I know that I'm coming back for spring break and the summer...but that just seems so far off from now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 03:36 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,771,219 times
Homesick for NYC?
Your nuts.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:40 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,528,887 times
wongtongsoup22,

Give it time. The homesickness will ease as you get more comfortable in your new environment. You've started a wonderful new chapter in your life and it'll take time to adjust to it. That's just part of growing up.

You've been blessed with a wonderful opportunity that will open up many doors for you in the future. Just keep your eyes on the prize--that you're primarily there to get a great education. You're doing the right thing by applying yourself to the academics. The result of your hard work will be good grades, which will help keep your spirits up, and eventual acceptance into medical school.

College is a fantastic opportunity to make friendships that will last your entire life. You won't feel so homesick if you go out and make some new friends by getting involved in extracurricular activities. You may want to do some volunteering, or join a club or sports team where you can find like-minded people. In addition to improving your social life, these things will make you look more well-rounded on your medical school applications.

By all means, keep in touch with your family and NYC friends by phone, email (I'm sure you already do this), and occasional visits. Keep them invested your life (and you in their's) by keeping them aware of important things that are going on with you, and vice versa. That way, you'll feel more connected with each other when you do get together.

Ask your mother to mail you care packages with food from home. That's always comforting.

As far as seeing some of your old friends move on without you, sometimes that's just part of life. Those with whom you have a real bond will remain in your life, if you each work at it.

You'll be fine.

I wish you all the best.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:28 PM

120 posts, read 437,455 times
I had the same feeling when i went to ucla from jersey. It took about 3 months to get over it. After 3 months, I didn't want to go back home. Join a group/club, make some solid friends and give it time. how do u expect to become a fully independent adult in the future if u don't cut the umbilical cord now?

Old 02-08-2011, 02:56 PM

Thanks everyone for your input!
I guess I just feel crappy right now since I'm sick, it's always cloudy, and it's cold.
I guess what you all are saying is right, at least I'll still keep in touch with my closer friends.
As of now, I can only wait.

I still miss nyc and I made a goal/promise for myself to get into medical school in nyc.
So at the very least I could live at either home or a reasonable commute from home. I also decided on taking a gap year as soon as I graduate... 16 straight years of schooling gets tiring. I'll probably get a job or volunteer of some sort before figuring out if medical school is right for me. Thanks for your support!

Old 02-08-2011, 03:05 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,776,226 times
Hang in there, your feelings right now are natural. You're going to make it and we'll be here to welcome you home when you return. Stay plugged in to city-data so you can keep current on all the latest drama and trauma.

Good Luck!

Old 02-09-2011, 07:13 AM

^ thank you.
you don't realize what you have until it's gone.
Hopefully this experience will be a good one and then I can return to the city that I live afterwards

Overall I'm definitely more appreciative of my family and friends now.
I can't believe I took them for granted.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:33 AM

442 posts, read 1,293,287 times
look at the new opportunity as a challenge for self growth and stay optimistic. i missed nyc when i left for the military but im back now and its the same. just hang in there, itll make you tougher in the long run. good luck

Old 02-13-2011, 09:28 AM

^thank you
I know that my situation isn't as bad as some of yours, nor will it ever be
but as the days go on, knowing that i h ave a home thats closer than most other ppl here is comforting

spring break, can't wait!!!!

Old 02-13-2011, 11:31 AM

82 posts, read 175,070 times
I miss living in the city too.
When I'm finished with college and get my degree in nursing I plan on moving back.
I currently live upstate in the sticks. It's rough out here...
You have bears, a lot of deer, and wild turkeys.
But that's not the worst part..
We have a Wal-Mart. O_O
That seems to be the hang out spot for teens out here.
Sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City