Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 07:51 PM

11 posts, read 41,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
They sometimes rent the apartments out again if they don't sell.There is a 3 br ,2 bath on Mosholu Parkway that is only listed for sale now but was listed for rent a month or so ago.You might want to call them and ask what might be available.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
They sometimes rent the apartments out again if they don't sell.There is a 3 br ,2 bath on Mosholu Parkway that is only listed for sale now but was listed for rent a month or so ago.You might want to call them and ask what might be available.
Hello Bluedog. Yesterday my family and I went to check out a place at Bainbridge and Bedford. It's an area we looked at many years ago. I wasn't fond of it truthfully. There were no decent stores nearby though the apartment was HUGE. I mean so huge that I joked we'd need a baby monitor to know what's happening in another room. We could use the extra space. We came to the conclusion that Pelham Pkwy area just offers so much in terms of location and the quietness. We're so accessible to so much over here. I can easily get to BJ's or Fairway with my son in tow on public transportation. The dilemma? A smallish two bedroom with heating issues that are bothersome especially considering the rent we pay and our rent is due to go up.

So, thinking it's wise to stay in this area but perhaps a different apartment building in the area. We've already looked into some and are working on a budget to figure out the max we can afford. Any thoughts?

Old 02-20-2011, 07:24 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ2006 View Post
Hello Bluedog. Yesterday my family and I went to check out a place at Bainbridge and Bedford. It's an area we looked at many years ago. I wasn't fond of it truthfully. There were no decent stores nearby though the apartment was HUGE. I mean so huge that I joked we'd need a baby monitor to know what's happening in another room. We could use the extra space. We came to the conclusion that Pelham Pkwy area just offers so much in terms of location and the quietness. We're so accessible to so much over here. I can easily get to BJ's or Fairway with my son in tow on public transportation. The dilemma? A smallish two bedroom with heating issues that are bothersome especially considering the rent we pay and our rent is due to go up.

So, thinking it's wise to stay in this area but perhaps a different apartment building in the area. We've already looked into some and are working on a budget to figure out the max we can afford. Any thoughts?
I understand because I came to the same realization when I was looking a few years ago. It's very difficult to duplicate the conveniences,transportation links,proximity to green space and other amenitiies that Pelham Parkway offers ....in any other part of The Bronx at least. Last week I bought a new TV and due to my tech deficiencies it took 3 trips to Radio Shack in the space of an hour ,at around 8 pm ,to finally get all the right cables,connectors,etc. It made me realize how great it is to have all those stores on White Plains Road, 2 blocks away and open until 9 pm every day.

Exactly what part of Pelham Parkway do you live in right now ? I live in the section North of Pelham Parkway, between White Plains Road and Bronx Park East ,South of Waring Ave.It's very quiet and clean yet only 2 blocks from everything.Much quieter than the blocks South of The Parkway around Lydig Ave.I see lots of signs on nice buildings in my area advertising"apartment for rent" Maybe you should walk around the neighborhood,take down numbers and call or find the supers.I think a lot of apartments in the neighborhood are rented that way.

If you decide to look again on the other side of Bronx Park in Bedford Park I'd look a bit further North than Bedford Park Blvd....to around Mosholu Parkway or 201st st,Decatur Ave area.It's nicer and closer to the shopping are around 205th St. Bedford Park Boulevard itself is sort of a demarcation line...much nicer to the North than to the South.

I'll keep my eyes open in my neighborhood for you.

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-20-2011 at 08:04 AM..

Old 02-24-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
I understand because I came to the same realization when I was looking a few years ago. It's very difficult to duplicate the conveniences,transportation links,proximity to green space and other amenitiies that Pelham Parkway offers ....in any other part of The Bronx at least. Last week I bought a new TV and due to my tech deficiencies it took 3 trips to Radio Shack in the space of an hour ,at around 8 pm ,to finally get all the right cables,connectors,etc. It made me realize how great it is to have all those stores on White Plains Road, 2 blocks away and open until 9 pm every day.

Exactly what part of Pelham Parkway do you live in right now ? I live in the section North of Pelham Parkway, between White Plains Road and Bronx Park East ,South of Waring Ave.It's very quiet and clean yet only 2 blocks from everything.Much quieter than the blocks South of The Parkway around Lydig Ave.I see lots of signs on nice buildings in my area advertising"apartment for rent" Maybe you should walk around the neighborhood,take down numbers and call or find the supers.I think a lot of apartments in the neighborhood are rented that way.

If you decide to look again on the other side of Bronx Park in Bedford Park I'd look a bit further North than Bedford Park Blvd....to around Mosholu Parkway or 201st st,Decatur Ave area.It's nicer and closer to the shopping are around 205th St. Bedford Park Boulevard itself is sort of a demarcation line...much nicer to the North than to the South.

I'll keep my eyes open in my neighborhood for you.
I know exactly what you mean. During the holiday season, I enjoyed going to Gem for my holiday decorations and the toys r us express that was a door or so down from Payhalf for last minute holiday shopping. The Key Food on Lydig I love especially since they renovated a year or so ago. We really can't beat the convenience of it all. It's difficult to give up.

We currently live about two blocks from the Pelham Pkwy stop on the 5 train. Thanks for keeping your eyes open if you see anything. We looked at a 2 bedroom on Matthews (we find it's one of the nicer blocks between Barnes and then White Plains Road) but it was tiny. Smaller than what we have now and when we spoke to some tenants we met in the lobby they told me it was a nice building minus the severe heat issues during the winter time.

I'm familar with the part where you live. Aren't the apartments pretty huge? Barnes for us isn't the best block but there is a very well maintained building that's right before the Van Nest library. I think 2161 Barnes. In the summertime, there's a lot going on but this building really strikes me. It's super clean and I get the feeling the apartments are huge.

I've lived in a lot of neighborhoods from really crappy to really great and Pelham Pkwy is really great for our family. There was an open house for a building on Wallace this past weekend but the block was the worst though the apartments were a fairly decent size.

I'm nervous but hopeful we'll be able to find a place in the area that suits our needs and our price range. If you hear of anything I'd love it if you let me know. You've already provided me with so much great advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City